Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cards vs. Leinart: Contract Wars...

All League

Cards vs. Leinart: Contract Wars...

looks like Rick Mirer II wont be in camp when it opens...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2534837
    Cards, Leinart at impasse after three days of talks
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

Matt Leinart
    Leinart
    With first-round draft choice Matt Leinart scheduled to be throwing to Arizona Cardinals receivers on Monday, the initial day of training camp practice, the agent for the former Southern California quarterback instead threw in the towel on contract negotiations.

At least for now.

"We've been [in the Phoenix area] since Friday and couldn't get it done," agent Tom Condon said Sunday night, after three days of face-to-face negotiations failed to produce an agreement for the 2004 Heisman Trophy winner. "We're hung up on a lot of issues. It's time to go home."

The 10th overall choice in the draft, and probably a bargain in that slot after he posted a brilliant 37-2 record as the Trojans' starter for three seasons, Leinart missed the team's Sunday evening deadline for reporting to training camp at Flagstaff, Ariz. The Cardinals' first practice is Monday morning, and it will take a major change in the two sides' bargaining positions for him to be on the field for that session.

Leinart has been in Phoenix for the past few days and has actually spent time throwing with some Arizona receivers. It is not known if Leinart, who wanted to be in the vicinity in the event of a contract accord, plans to stay in the area with the negotiations seemingly at an impasse.

Cardinals coach Dennis Green implied Sunday that the reason for the impasse rested more with Leinart's people than the Cardinals organization.

"I would assume that an inability to get the contract done is just some continuation of looking at what possibilities are from their end," Green told The Associated Press.

Leinart wouldn't be the first high Cardinal draft pick to hold out. But Green defended the team's dealings with recent first-round selections.

"Larry Fitzgerald got a very good deal, and he was our No. 3 pick a few years ago," Green said. "Antrel Rolle got a very good contract last year at the No. 8 pick.

"We have to understand that Matt Leinart, who we are very high on and feel is going to be a very good quarterback for us and have a great impact on the National Football League, also would have been offered a very good contract," Green said. "We've signed every other player, so there's only a certain amount of money that's available."

Leinart is expected to battle two-year veteran John Navarre for the backup job behind starter Kurt Warner. The consensus is that the Cardinals chose Leinart to groom him as the team's quarterback of the future.

During his celebrated college career, Leinart completed 807 of 1,245 passes for 10,693 yards, with 99 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions.

Condon would not discuss areas of disagreement in the talks. But one is believed to be the length of the contract, with the Cardinals holding firm on a six-year proposal and Leinart preferring five years. Teams can sign players chosen in the top half of the first round to contracts with a maximum term of six years.

Hall Of Fame
    Why is Green taking Leinart's side? The more money he gets, the less he has to spend on other players.

All Pro
    This surprizes me. I thought with the attitude he showed in the mini camps and the fact he had to "prove" the other 9 teams made a mistake on draft that he would be signed early. Guess it's true......It's all about the Benjamins.

Hall Of Fame
    "Not taking Matt Leinart is the biggest mistake since passing on Dan Marino in 1983"

All Pro
    Maybe he will sit out the season. Im sure SAR will let him crash at his place.

he obviously feels like he deserves better than 10th pick $$$$$. i personally dont get that thinking. make a good impression, get to camp, work your arse off and prove that you deserve a bigger contract if it's that important to you. when the time comes, you'll get it if you deserve it. plus, paris is loaded, she can be your suga momma for the time being, as if whatever millions you get now isnt enough.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubby Brister
    he obviously feels like he deserves better than 10th pick $$$$$. i personally dont get that thinking. make a good impression, get to camp, work your arse off and prove that you deserve a bigger contract if it's that important to you. when the time comes, you'll get it if you deserve it. plus, paris is loaded, she can be your suga momma for the time being, as if whatever millions you get now isnt enough.

there's 3 factors involved in this, though:

1. ego
    2. ego
    3. ego

Matty thinks he deserves the world from the Cardinals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby Brister
    A lot of it has to do with Condon, his agent, I'm willing to bet. That guy is brutal. Anyone who wants to report to camp on time should avoid him like the plague.

I could see why the years would be the main issue. As the 10th pick he is making less than he fells he deserves. There is no way around that, the Cardinals can't and won't offer him first or second pick money and he is realistic enough not to expect them to be able to. This means that he has to wait until he becomes a Free agent to make his money. He obviously has faith in his abilities, and therefore wants his rookie contract to be as few years as possible.

Banned
    Maybe they offered him less than what he was making at USC.

Oh this is priceless..........

Mr. Paris Hilton is threatening a hold out.........

SAR?

SAR?

I am thrilled we chose a true focussed football player in D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod
    Maybe they offered him less than what he was making at USC.

good one Kleck

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    good one Kleck
    I'll be here all week folks!

Try the veal! Best in the city!!!

JetsFan2012
    I'll be here all week folks!

Try the veal! Best in the city!!!

haha, its true though.

it's so funny how quickly these guys expect millions of dollars to be thrown at them right out of college. I just graduated college too, but it's too bad I can't toss a football accurately for 70 yards

Banned
    haha, its true though.

it's so funny how quickly these guys expect millions of dollars to be thrown at them right out of college. I just graduated college too, but it's too bad I can't toss a football accurately for 70 yards
    Leinart is dealing with the sad reality that he made a huuuuge mistake staying in college for another year.

It completely backfired.

He did not win another championship. He did not win a second Heisman. And NFL teams were given a year to scout the effects of the elbow surgery he had after his junior year and they were obviously not impressed given his slide on draft day.

Had he come out for the '05 draft he would have been drafted number one by the 49ers instead of Alex Smith.

JetsFan2012
    Leinart is dealing with the sad reality that he made a huuuuge mistake staying in college for another year.

It completely backfired.

He did not win another championship. He did not win a second Heisman. And NFL teams were given a year to scout the effects of the elbow surgery he had after his junior year and they were obviously not impressed given his slide on draft day.

Had he come out for the '05 draft he would have been drafted number one by the 49ers instead of Alex Smith.

he was stupid. he loved partying and loved his college girlfriend even more (gee wiz, where did she go?). he had not one thought of longterm planning going on in his head when he made that decision.

Banned
    he was stupid. he loved partying and loved his college girlfriend even more (gee wiz, where did she go?). he had not one thought of longterm planning going on in his head when he made that decision.
    Which again begs the question, why the **** would we want this indecisive, weak-armed clown running our offense every Sunday?

JetsFan2012
    Which again begs the question, why the **** would we want this indecisive, weak-armed clown running our offense every Sunday?

good question, ask SAR

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    "Not taking Matt Leinart is the biggest mistake since passing on Dan Marino in 1983"

Not taking this pretty boy was a very wise move by the Jets. I'm very grateful "holdout" Matt is not in green and white.

Taking Matt Leinart would have been the biggest mistake since passing on Dan Marino in 1983.

Hall Of Fame
    I am just happy that we signed guys that didn't have the price tag of Bush or the attitude of Leinart. We got a nice base (hopefully) and maybe one or two steals.
    Last edited by New York Mick; 07-31-2006 at 02:23 AM.