Thread: Article: Jets' offense looking for its identity

All League

Post Article: Jets' offense looking for its identity

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...608070369/1002

Jets' offense looking for its identity
    Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 08/7/06
    BY ANDREW GROSS
    STAFF WRITER

EAST RUTHERFORD Defining the Jets' new defensive scheme is easy, it's called the 3-4 and regardless of where they line up, there are typically four linebackers on the field.

The offense? Not so easy. Especially since first-year coach Eric Mangini ducks any attempt to label it.

"I know this offense has been very successful in the past but a system can only do so much," quarterback Chad Pennington said. "It's the players within the system that make the offense work. A lot of times it's not the play called, it's the execution of the play."

But what the Jets are doing under Mangini and new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer became a little clearer after Sunday's closed practice at Giants Stadium, a simulated game-day which included a two-quarter intrasquad scrimmage.

It included a lot of short pass routes as Pennington went 12-for-14 for 117 yards for the victorious Green squad without completing a pass longer than 21 yards. Running back Cedric Houston led the White team with four receptions, though for only 12 yards.

Tight ends Joel Dreessen, Chris Baker and Doug Jolley frequently lined up as wideouts or in the backfield.

But don't call this a West Coast offense, the ball control scheme emphasizing the short-passing attack that Pennington and his replacements after he injured his shoulder the past two seasons ran under previous offensive coordinators Paul Hackett and Mike Heimerdinger.

"I don't think it is," third-year wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "It's not the same offense. We've still got a good bit to put in. But we'll do whatever it is to keep those points coming."

Cotchery is not at liberty to divulge team secrets but stretching the field through longer routes may be the next component added.

Lavernanues Coles caught a 22-yard pass from rookie Kellen Clemens and a 19-yard throw from Pennington as he made five catches for 60 yards. Coles isn't necessarily a deep threat but can provide yards after the catch.

"Everybody knows what type of player Lavernanues is, a very exciting player," Pennington said. "I feel really good with our whole receiving corps. Every one of those guys will be a big-time contributor to our offense."

The speedy Justin McCareins had two catches for 27 yards, including a 21-yard completion from Pennington.

The Jets averaged 15.0 points per game as they finished 4-12 last season. Only the 3-13 New Orleans Saints, the 4-12 San Francisco 49ers and the 6-10 Cleveland Browns scored fewer points.

It's not particularly promising that neither squad could score a touchdown in the two quarters. The Green won the scrimmage, 6-3, as Mike Nugent hit a 41-yard field goal with four seconds left in the second quarter.

"I wouldn't say it's the essence of the offense," Mangini said of the plays called Sunday. "There are certain things that aren't in yet that would have helped in a regular game. The marching orders to the coaching staff were to use what we have and try to use it effectively."

How the offense will operate will become even clearer once Mangini names a starting quarterback. Pennington, already way ahead in the four-person race, took another giant leap forward as Patrick Ramsey went 4-for-9 for 33 yards, Brooks Bollinger was 3-for-6 for 10 yards and rookie Kellen Clemens was 3-for-7 for 23 yards.

Plus, the Jets need to address their running back situation. There are no signs Curtis Martin is rejoining the team from the physically-unable-to-perform list at any point in the near future.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast
    The speedy Justin McCareins had two catches for 27 yards, including a 21-yard completion from Pennington.
    This must be the first time anyone has referred to JMac as "speedy".

All League
    Thought the same exact thing...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Green
    like saying "the strong armed Pennington was 12 for 14"

Veteran
    haha that was the first thing that came to my mind...
    Even compared to our other recievers he isn't Speedy. Dwight is much faster, and I'm pretty sure Jericho is faster too.

Maybe they are calling him speedy to take the focus off the face that he is a possesion reciever who can't hold onto the ball

All League
    I have no idea if he is speedy. He doesn't catch the ball enough for us to see him run.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast
    I have no idea if he is speedy. He doesn't catch the ball enough for us to see him run.
    thats right his speed was never in question. his fingeless arms were.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Defining the Jets' new defensive scheme is easy, it's called the 3-4 and regardless of where they line up, there are typically four linebackers on the field.
    this article is garbage from the first line

the very definition of a Bellichek/Mangni 3-4 is unorthodox lineup and unorthodox matchups - there will be times when there are 3 linebackers, 5 linebackers whatever you can think of. It is not as static as the beat writers and national media seem to think it is. When the real games start we will see the true Bellichek 3-4 which is anything but predictable.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Green

I was thinking the same thing. Of all of the things that people have complained about JMac, I think the apparent lack of speed that he was supposed to have when he came to us is the most disappointing. This guy couldn't get separation from a DB if he had the bubonic plague.