Thread: Unruly fan behavior hotline in Paul Brown Stadium

Practice Squad

Unruly fan behavior hotline in Paul Brown Stadium

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2543492

CINCINNATI -- Bengals fans annoyed by bad behavior in the stands can now report it by cell phone.

The hot line number should be easy to remember -- (513) 381-JERK.

Fans using too much foul language will first get a warning from stadium security. Those who continue could be ejected and have their season tickets and personal seat licenses revoked. More serious offenses could lead to arrest.

The team doesn't want to become the "curse police," but expects fans to behave themselves, said Bob Bedinghaus, the Bengals' director of development for Paul Brown Stadium.

"You need to understand you're coming to an NFL football game," Bedinghaus said. "On the other hand, we want to make sure that we're paying attention to those folks who are going over the line."

When callers report problems such as threats, fights or drunkenness, security officials will use the stadium's video cameras to focus on the offenders and then respond.

Fans have complained to team officials that beer is increasing the problem with misbehavior in the stands.

"They were complaints [of] excessive drunkenness. People that were kind of falling down drunk," Bedinghaus said. "And there were some fights last year. Whenever you put 65,000 people together, you're always going to have some fights. But there were a few more than normal."

Jeanie Dittrich of West Chester, a season ticket holder, said she was offended by drunken fans when she took her 12-year-old son, Austin, to a playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. A woman kept spilling beer on her, and a man next to her son was swearing and helped start a fight.

"We told him beforehand, 'You might see some drunk people, you might hear some ... swearing.' But at the game, I thought, 'Oh, my gosh, I'm going to mar my son for the rest of his life by having him come to this game,'" she said.

Season ticket holders will be notified about the hot line this week, as well as the consequences of bad behavior. The team will show a video promoting the new service at home games.

Bedinghaus said the Bengals expect some prank calls.

"If you get 6,000 people calling this line -- 'Hey, [Steelers quarterback] Ben Roethlisberger is a jerk' -- then it becomes less effective," he said. "The thing to remember is we have caller ID on this line."
    Having people removed from a public event because they don't fit in with your moral standards?
    This is a FOOTBALL GAME.
    People are going to drink and curse loudly. Don't bring your stupid kid to a football game if you don't want him to hear foul language or see drunken behavior. Take some personal responsibilty and watch the game from home if you wanna shield your kid from reality.

"This ticket gives me the right, no, the duty, to make a complete ass of myself!" -H.J. Simpson

All League
    They should use the same precautions with their players!

All League
    It's preposterous that fans should abide by some code of conduct. The stadium should be left to the drunk and disorderly.

If some father wants to bring his young son to his first NFL game to build a bond and establish a memory that will last a lifetime, well screw him, there's beer to be drunk and new vulgar insults to be yelled!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NuuWorldOrder#30

Having people removed from a public event because they don't fit in with your moral standards?
    This is a FOOTBALL GAME.
    People are going to drink and curse loudly. Don't bring your stupid kid to a football game if you don't want him to hear foul language or see drunken behavior. Take some personal responsibilty and watch the game from home if you wanna shield your kid from reality.

"This ticket gives me the right, no, the duty, to make a complete ass of myself!" -H.J. Simpson

================================================== ==

Gee, I got to disagree, thats like saying I can yell fire in the middle of the mezzanine and its OK, everyone should have an opportunity to enjoy the game with out beer being spilled on them or spit on cause they have the wrong jersey on. Drink have fun get drunk , hell get rowdy, but feeling you have the rite to be a complete ass to the annoyance of other fans is wrong.

JMHO

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Jeanie Dittrich of West Chester, a season ticket holder, said she was offended by drunken fans when she took her 12-year-old son, Austin, to a playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. A woman kept spilling beer on her, and a man next to her son was swearing and helped start a fight.

"We told him beforehand, 'You might see some drunk people, you might hear some ... swearing.' But at the game, I thought, 'Oh, my gosh, I'm going to mar my son for the rest of his life by having him come to this game,'" she said.
    Mar him for the rest of his life? Come on now, lets not get too dramatic here lady.

Practice Squad
    Originally Posted by gunnails
    If some father wants to bring his young son to his first NFL game to build a bond and establish a memory that will last a lifetime, well screw him, there's beer to be drunk and new vulgar insults to be yelled!
    When my father brought me to games when I was a kid and there was some drunk idiot yelling obscenities, he'd explain to me that this guy had too much beer and he was too stupid to express himself any other way than through swearing.
    I'd if I got beer spilled on me or the swearing was getting excessive, my father would ask the guy to give it a rest. And if it got too bad, the whole section would tell the guy to **** down and shut up. That usually worked. I would be more scarred if my dad had called some rat-out number to handle the situation for him.

Originally Posted by jxc
    Gee, I got to disagree, thats like saying I can yell fire in the middle of the mezzanine and its OK, everyone should have an opportunity to enjoy the game with out beer being spilled on them or spit on cause they have the wrong jersey on. Drink have fun get drunk , hell get rowdy, but feeling you have the rite to be a complete ass to the annoyance of other fans is wrong.
    You are correct, but annoyance is subjective. One person's annoying idiot is another person's superfan. I've had people in my section who were annoying but they're dealt with personally. My main problem with this whistle blowing on overly exuberant fans is the lack of acceptance of personal responsibility. If someone is annoying you, let them know. I would hate for some otherwise good person who had one too many shots in the lot and got a little out of hand inside to lose thier PSLs because of some coward who turned him in cuz he was too chicken to handle the situation himself.

All Pro
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NuuWorld, I am not sure how you did it but you got my and JXC qoutes reversed.

no biggy

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NuuWorldOrder#30

This is a FOOTBALL GAME.

No, don't drink to the point of being a moron in the stands. It's not leave the kids home, it's act like you're going to a game, not an excuse to act like an idiot.

Stay home if the only way you can attend a game is by acting like a fool.

All League
    Isn't public intoxication a crime?

I hate the stadium atmosphere about 50% of the time.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    Mar him for the rest of his life? Come on now, lets not get too dramatic here lady.
    Don't don't discount this !!! This is exactly what happened to me when I was 8 from going to a Giants / Dodgers game at the Polo Grounds. That's why I'm like I am now !!!