Thread: Monday marks a return and an Introduction

JetsInsider.com Legend

Monday marks a return and an Introduction

The New York Jets welcomed two talented players to their offensive backfield Monday as veteran quarterback Chad Pennington returned to practice and running back Kevan Barlow joined his new team. Pennington missed the Jets’ second preseason game in Washington due to personal reasons while Barlow was acquired via a Sunday trade with the San Francisco 49ers.

Pennington was back in his familiar spot with the first string offense and played as if he didn’t miss a beat. However, it was clear that his mind was elsewhere.

“When you deal with something like this it still takes a day or two to get back in the swing of things because you have been out of your element for four days and been pretty stressed out,” said Pennington. “But today was good to get back on the field and fight through it. I’m ready to get back into the groove and concentrate on football.”

Following his first workout since his leave, Pennington showed much thanks to the Jets staff, especially Coach Mangini, for sending him off.

“I just appreciate Coach allowing me to go home and be with my family at a time like that,” he said. “I am glad he recognizes that and the team has been so supportive. We can definitely count our blessings. It really puts things into perspective and football doesn’t really matter when something tragic is concerned.”

Barlow, a 6’1”, 234-pound player in his sixth season, lined up with the Green & White midway through their workout. Almost immediately upon his entrance to the field, Barlow was given a handoff. After the run, Barlow watched the majority of practice both from the sidelines and with the quarterbacks.

“He is a bigger back, he catches the ball well out of the backfield, and he has the ability to make people miss,” said head coach Eric Mangini of Barlow. “He has been productive, and I think he adds good depth and competition to the position.”

Jets Acquire Kevan Barlow from San Francisco

The addition of Barlow now means the Jets have two Pitt Panthers at the running back position. Curtis Martin, currently on the team’s Physically Unable to Perform list (PUP) with a knee injury, lettered three years at the University of Pittsburgh.

“Curtis has some background with him through that relationship, so we did have a good discussion,” said Mangini during his morning presser.

Barlow was also able to talk with the future Hall of Famer and fellow Pitt alum in the locker room prior to his first team workout.

“As soon as I walked in he took me under his wing and embraced me,” Barlow said following his first Jets practice. “Curt was a guy that I looked up to as a kid growing up - there was no one bigger than Curtis Martin in Pittsburgh. To be out here and to learn under him is wild to me.”

While at Pitt, Barlow gained 2,324 yards on 486 carries with 20 touchdowns, and was the ninth player in school history to rush for over 2,000 yards and did so in only 15 starts.

Before making the trade to obtain Barlow, the Jets thoroughly researched his background. Both Mangini and GM Mike Tannenbaum have promised to leave no stone unturned in their quest to build a winner.

“With all these guys that we’ve looked at, we look at it as a whole body of work throughout their career,” Mangini said. “We go back and look at the college reports - it’s really not just what have they done in the past season or the past two seasons. It is what they have done over the course of their career. It is more of a whole picture as opposed to a segmented picture of it.”

It should come as no surprise that the trade is still a shock to Barlow. He rose at 8:00 a.m. PST Sunday in preparation to play the Raiders and hasn’t slept since. Barlow took a red-eye from San Francisco overnight and underwent his physical at 8:00 a.m. Monday morning in New York. He then made his way onto the field with his new team two hours into practice. Though exhausted, Barlow showed much enthusiasm to be apart of the Jets offense.

“I am still puzzled,” he said about the trade. “I am going to start a new slate and get things going out here. The coach and general manager embraced me to come out here and help this team win and that’s all I’m about right now. I’m excited about being a Jet - it was very surprising at first, but I’m excited to be out here.”

Though he has started for 30 games in his young career, Barlow understands there is an open competition at running back.

“I’m coming in here to compete. The other guys are good running backs - they put up great numbers the other night,” he said. “Competition brings out the best in everybody and at the end of the day it’s going to make me a better player and us a better team. I am going to go out there and give it 110% every time I touch the ball. So, effort that’s not a question.”

Camp Notes

The Jets waived wide receiver Curtis Williams and defensive end Val Barnaby and signed tight end Walter Rasby. Rasby, 6’3”, 252, is in his 11th season out of Wake Forrest… The Jets took a number of positives from Saturday night’s game with the Redskins, but none more important than the 27-14 decision over Washington. “I think the biggest thing from the weekend, and the thing that I stress to the team is the importance of winning,” Mangini said. “Whether it’s a preseason game or a regular season game - whatever the situation is – winning is important and so is understanding that feeling and appreciating that feeling.”… Versatility is a core Mangini word and we’re witnessing a lot of movement along the defensive line. “Tui (Alailefaleula ) worked in at nose this week. Dewayne (Robertson) and Kimo (von Oelhoffen) worked both outside and inside. Kimo worked at all the different spots along the defensive line. Dewayne worked at two different spots in the defensive line. I wouldn’t be surprised if Shaun Ellis starts moving around a little bit. That is really designed as we need to place guys in different spots throughout the year based on either a match-up or a scheme.”… The Green & White will continue to practice blitz packages on both sides of the ball. “The blitz pick-up is something that we work on quite a bit and it’s really something that all eleven guys need to be on the same page with,” Mangini said. “Really, we did a lot a work and we have done a lot of work on our blitzing as well. That’s something that we’re going to continue to stress.”… Cornerback Justin Miller ripped off a long kickoff return to open the game, but he seemed to find difficulty in coverage. “He is working hard at the technique,” Mangini said of Miller. “He has really good natural ability, but the consistency with the technique is something that he needs to continue to work on.”… The Jets committed 11 penalties Saturday and they put the ball on the turf five times. Both those numbers were way too-high for the first-year coach, and he continues to emphasize finishing drives… Linebacker Brad Kassell, a linebacker who played his first four professionals seasons in Tennessee, earned the praise of Mangini for his play against the ‘Skins.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

I wasn't thrilled with the trade for Barlow, but I will root for him from here on out. He's plays an important position for us and we need him to produce.

And I predict Pennington will toss a couple TD's for us in the next pre-season game versus the Giants.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw]I wasn't thrilled with the trade for Barlow, but I will root for him from here on out. He's plays an important position for us and we need him to produce.

And I predict Pennington will toss a couple TD's for us in the next pre-season game versus the Giants.[/QUOTE

==============================================

I hear ya Buzz, count me on the Barlow wagon, Sure would love to see Chad have a breakout half and make real believers out of all of us also, well maybe some of us.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    I wasn't thrilled with the trade for Barlow, but I will root for him from here on out. He's plays an important position for us and we need him to produce.

my thoughts exactly

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    Agreed. In Mangini we trust, right?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish

==================================================
    100%, at least for now,lol.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish

No, so much trust. Let's just enjoy the ride, until the ride is no longer enjoyable.

All Pro
    Once again, anyone wearing the Green & White will be supported by me...

BTW, I was not happy with the trade but heres to Barlow getting a good season

Hall Of Fame
    Two years ago we came back to defeat SF, in SF, pitching a second half shutout to do so. We shut down SF and Barlow in the second half, although they and he had their way with us during the first half. After the game, Kevan Barlow mocked our defense as weak, saying that they weren't near "as-billed".

I'm sure Shaun Ellis and JV remember those comments...