Thread: The one thing I really didlike abut Penny

All Pro

The one thing I really didlike abut Penny

is his release. Its so damn slow and so often there is so musch damn air under the ball. Clemns made mistakes but it was refreshing to see that kind of arm on certain throws.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Browning Nagle had a quick release too...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    From what my Niece Say's so does her boyfriend!!

Hall Of Fame
    Every player has weaknesses and strengths. Pennington release is his weakness and the catchability of his passes is his strength. Pennington beats you with his leadership, courage, and intellectual ability. His pass to McCareins went for 40 yards total. It aint that he can throw down field. That ball had no air under it and hit McCareins right in stride. If the he get that pass working, we are in for a very good season.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by savage69
    From what my Niece Say's so does her boyfriend!!
    Tell him to think about baseball

All Pro
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    Pennington beats you with his leadership, courage, and intellectual ability.
    REALLY.... Who has he beaten lately.... or better yet... when was the last time he put us in the endzone?

All League
    Every player has weaknesses and strengths. Pennington release is his weakness and the catchability of his passes is his strength. Pennington beats you with his leadership, courage, and intellectual ability. His pass to McCareins went for 40 yards total. It aint that he can throw down field. That ball had no air under it and hit McCareins right in stride. If the he get that pass working, we are in for a very good season.
    Like 13 said, these three things don't put the ball in the endzone.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 13
    REALLY.... Who has he beaten lately.... or better yet... when was the last time he put us in the endzone?
    Yea of little faith.

Veteran
    I thought his arm looked pretty good, got good zip on several throws downfield.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Yankee
    Like 13 said, these three things don't put the ball in the endzone.
    So are you saying he responsible for making a WR get open, or the OL to block, or a running back to pick up the blitz.

A few months ago everybody had Pennington not making the team, followed by the Clemens for HOF chant.

Pennington just has to win the starting job which is what he's done. Preseason is about evaluating who stays and who goes. Pennington stays, Clemen is the backup (perhaps).

All League
    Stop with the Browning Nagel comparissons already! Nagel was a moron. Do you remember interviews with this guy? Clemens scores a 35 on the wonderlick test while Chad scored a 25 (25 is the avg for NFL qb's) Nagel had a great first game (Jets defense lost that game for him) Then took a mental nap and lost his starting position and never got it back. Clemens is a sharp customer, this will not happen with Clemens - I am 97% positive of this.

All League
    So are you saying he responsible for making a WR get open, or the OL to block, or a running back to pick up the blitz.

A few months ago everybody had Pennington not making the team, followed by the Clemens for HOF chant.

Pennington just has to win the starting job which is what he's done. Preseason is about evaluating who stays and who goes. Pennington stays, Clemen is the backup (perhaps).
    Pennington simply does not have the arm to be successful in the NFL. He had two strong throws last night (one completed, one an overthrow). Two. A quarterback needs to make downfield throws on a regular basis. Pennington cannot do that.

All League

Also, IMO Pennington has done nothing to earn himself the starting job. The ineffectiveness of the other QBs has given Pennington the job by default.

Tell him to think about baseball
    That doesn't work..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Yankee
    Pennington simply does not have the arm to be successful in the NFL. He had two strong throws last night (one completed, one an overthrow). Two. A quarterback needs to make downfield throws on a regular basis. Pennington cannot do that.
    Ok, you have given your opinion and let me rebutt that.

Pennington had a good enough arm and QB rating since he started his career. He had games with a decent teams,ie., beat the Colts and Pats pretty badly when they were considered decent teams. He did well in the playoffs. Isn't that an NFL QB that he was.

Now the consensus of coaches who have evaluated him is that his arm is where it was before his injury. My logic says that mean he is as good or potential for as good as he was before the injury and hence a very good QB for the Jets to have.

Penningtons throw to McCareins was on the money and wasn't an air ball; it was line drive that hit him in full stride. You can't make that throw with an injured or weak arm. The throw to Coles was high but the defender was right on him. With Tim Dwight out of the game the Giants DBs keyed on Coles. That aint on Pennington.

A QB needs to make throw downfield on a regular basis- yes I agree but he has to have open receivers and the play has to be called by the OC.
    My point is Pennington doesn't controll everything. You give him to much credit for being able to go through his reads and make something out of nothing.

How did Clemens look when the Giants blitzed him. You aren't going to say he is a terrible rookie who can't lead the team because of yesterday. Amen

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Blitz
    I thought his arm looked pretty good, got good zip on several throws downfield.
    This thread is about Chad Pennington in the game played last night (8/25/06) at the meadowlands. YOu must have been watching a different game b/c the only thing chad had zip on was his point total.

All League
    Ok, you have given your opinion and let me rebutt that.

Pennington had a good enough arm and QB rating since he started his career. He had games with a decent teams,ie., beat the Colts and Pats pretty badly when they were considered decent teams. He did well in the playoffs. Isn't that an NFL QB that he was.

Now the consensus of coaches who have evaluated him is that his arm is where it was before his injury. My logic says that mean he is as good or potential for as good as he was before the injury and hence a very good QB for the Jets to have.

Penningtons throw to McCareins was on the money and wasn't an air ball; it was line drive that hit him in full stride. You can't make that throw with an injured or weak arm. The throw to Coles was high but the defender was right on him. With Tim Dwight out of the game the Giants DBs keyed on Coles. That aint on Pennington.

A QB needs to make throw downfield on a regular basis- yes I agree but he has to have open receivers and the play has to be called by the OC.
    My point is Pennington doesn't controll everything. You give him to much credit for being able to go through his reads and make something out of nothing.

How did Clemens look when the Giants blitzed him. You aren't going to say he is a terrible rookie who can't lead the team because of yesterday. Amen
    If Pennington's arm is where it was before the two (2) injuries, he has not proven it by on-the-field performance. His propensity for throwing lateral passes to Coles for two-yard gains is just too great. You are correct in saying that Pennington cannot control the plays called by the offensive coordinator, but maybe the OC has been given reason to doubt Pennington's ability to be more than a dink-and-dunk passer.

All Pro
    EWhen Chad has the right leg work he can make pretty throws with decent enough strength but he only gets that time/rythm to make some throws every so often.