Thread: Right from the horse's (Coach's) mouth

Hall Of Fame

Right from the horse's (Coach's) mouth

If Eric Mangini had his way, the Jets might be running laps around Giants Stadium through dinnertime tonight. The rookie head coach, known to send offending players on punishment laps in practice, was that disgusted with his team's collective performance in a lackluster 13-7 loss to the Giants.

"Before the game we talked about making progress," Mangini said. "We talked about building on the good things we've done and not making the same mistakes we've made, like too many penalties and turning the ball over. We also talked about finishing.

"I don't think we accomplished any of those objectives. This can't be part-time, one good practice, one bad practice. This has got to be a group effort, a collective effort. I'm disappointed with the way we responded to what we outlined."

To be sure, this was as hot as Mangini has been since he became Jets coach. He held his emotions in check, but it was clear he was agitated by his team's performance.

Of most concern for the Jets at the moment is this: Chad Pennington, the yet-to-be-announced starter, has not led the offense to a single scoring drive in 10 tries this preseason.

This needed its own thread.

Should probably be stickyed for the week

Veteran
    Miller will be the first horse running laps... ...No taunting allowed...

All Pro
    I agree that they should be running laps, but hte taunting call was just bullcrap.

Shockey didn't shut-up when he caught the ball, but he got nothing.

Hall Of Fame
    I think it is time for the new head coach to let everyone know where they stand. This "every job is open to competition" thing has run its course for now.

Give the team an identity !!!!

name your starters coach, and announce team captains

NOW

Undrafted Free Agent
    And yet we have one of our slower witted posters "grading out" our performance at a B. However shall we reconcile the two differences of opinion?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rah
    And yet we have one of our slower witted posters "grading out" our performance at a B. However shall we reconcile the two differences of opinion?
    hahahaha...

Hall Of Fame
    Mangini is setting a tone for losses in general. He is using classic Pavloff conditioning. Win and he says all the right things, while Lose and you'll hear negative crap.

Don't look to get the real thoughts about the teams progress because you'll just get a spin job.

All League
    I'd be ticked off too. Mangini will not stand for losing. Maybe right now we don't have the correct personnel in place, but he has this team on the right track. Don't expect too much this season. What did the Bengals do when Carson Palmer and Marvin Lewis were starting out? Not much. Give it time, this team is young.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    Mangini is setting a tone for losses in general. He is using classic Pavloff conditioning. Win and he says all the right things, while Lose and you'll hear negative crap.

Don't look to get the real thoughts about the teams progress because you'll just get a spin job.
    Right. I'm with you. Let's go with the Moga Report.

All Pro
    I am glad Mangini does not sugar coat his comment . The team stunk last night and he is telling it like it is.. Good for him