Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I would rather win 3 games with Clemens than 5 with Chad!

All League

I would rather win 3 games with Clemens than 5 with Chad!

I feel this deserves a thread....Please leave! TY

1) I would rather we win 3 games this season than 5 and get the #1 overall pick

2) If Clemens is a bust, we need to make up for it by getting the #1 pick

3) If we win 5-6 with Chad we could be drafting as low as 8th and miss out on a top-5 franchise player which would set us back even further. We need a pass rush. We need a RB. We need a WR.

4) If Clemens isn't a bust and is the real deal, then, he needs to be ready to take us to a Super Bowl sooner, rather than later. Whats the point of us going to a Super Bowl one year after we might have made it? I dont see the logic. Give him the reps, just like Namath got in his reps his rookie season, set all-time passing records his 3rd season, and won it all his 4th season! And, if we get a new stadium, our Super Bowl win will coincide with the opening of that stadium. A great start!

5) Chad's brain cannot get us deep into the playoffs. You play to win the Super Bowl. There is no other reason for playing on the pro level. If Chad makes the playoffs this season by some football miracle, we will still be stuck OUTSIDE of the Super Bowl in "nobody remembers land".

Hall Of Fame
    You'll get the kid killed. He was shell shock yesterday. Give him a chance to settle in. We aren't going to the SB this year. He'll learn under Pennington/Schotty/Mangini and be ready when we throw him in with a few more tools from next years draft.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I generally agree but I would like to see half a season before a switch.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    You'll get the kid killed. He was shell shock yesterday. Give him a chance to settle in. We aren't going to the SB this year. He'll learn under Pennington/Schotty/Mangini and be ready when we throw him in with a few more tools from next years draft.
    Dont worry about him "getting killed". Manning played with a lousy Colts team, Montana with a lousy Niners team, Bradshaw with a lousy Steelers team. Just get him a decent line, and get him his reps! He need to recognize defenses sooner rather than later. In 3 yrs Vilma may go FA, D'Rob may retire, Barton will be gone, etc. We need one more elite pick and Chad starting will not give us that. I like his mobility and toughness. If anybody's gonna get killed, it's Chad. We should trade Chad after this season for a pick to make up for the Barlow loss of a pick. If Chad plays no so great, then, no trade and no pick.

I'm sorry, what I'm asking for here makes more sense than keeping Chad in there for one more year. We're addicted to Chad. it's time to go "cold turkey" Jets fans.

All League
    We don't need a WR. The ones we have are fine. Actually our top 3 WR's are probably one of the top 3 in the league if you take away the disasterous QB problem and utilized correctly. They need to get 1 QB in there consistantly and you will see how things can change (Clemens). Also, if our OL can gel Barlow is a top 10 back in the league. I saw him rush for over 1,000 yards for the 49ers a few years ago when they actually had an OL.

The major problem is Chad Pennington. As long as they keep farting around with him the longer the team will just be bad. Just having him in the game completely takes away any long passes downfield. It hinders the WR's big time. Even Ramsey would be fine. I don't mind an INT once in a while when the QB is throwing for 400 yards per game like he did in Washington with talent at WR that is less than we currently have!

The Jets need to THROW THE BALL DOWN FIELD.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance99
    We don't need a WR. The ones we have are fine. Actually our top 3 WR's are probably one of the top 3 in the league if you take away the disasterous QB problem and utilized correctly.
    WHAAAAAAAT???!!!!!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance99
    We don't need a WR. The ones we have are fine. Actually our top 3 WR's are probably one of the top 3 in the league
    ESPN ranked the Jets WR's 28th in the league. Our WR's dont scare a soul. It's more than not just being able to throw the ball deep with ACCURACY.

All League
    It's stuff like this that bothers me.

Anyone would be shell shock, shoot Pennington would be shell shock if he had to play with backups.

How this league judges players based on third and second team performances is baffling.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by papichango
    It's stuff like this that bothers me.

Anyone would be shell shock, shoot Pennington would be shell shock if he had to play with backups.

How this league judges players based on third and second team performances is baffling.
    A rookie is going to make a lot more misreads and take more sacks than a veteran QB. He's not familiar with the NFL defenses and the various blitz packages. A couple of hard hits and he'll start hearing foot steps. The consensus among coaches is not to start a rookie when the Offense is starting from scratch.

All League
    The consensus among coaches is not to start a rookie when the Offense is starting from scratch.
    It solely depends on the OL. Manning had a lousy team in '96, but, a decent line. We have a decent line. Clemns can also roll which Chad cannot 9and still throw the ball)

All League
    A rookie is going to make a lot more misreads and take more sacks than a veteran QB. He's not familiar with the NFL defenses and the various blitz packages. A couple of hard hits and he'll start hearing foot steps. The consensus among coaches is not to start a rookie when the Offense is starting from scratch.
    Sometimes you have to. Peyton Manning was thrown right in. And won his first NFL game against the Jets. " What a surprise" Jets love to give everyone their first anything.

I remember Art shell's first win as the leagues first black coach. On Monday night football. But anyway that's off topic.

My point is evaluating any player when he is not using the starting lineup (except for "maybe I'll make it" Mike Nugent) is stupid. In my opinion. How is that an accurate evaluation????

This has always bothered me about the NFL.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by papichango
    My point is evaluating any player when he is not using the starting lineup (except for "maybe I'll make it" Mike Nugent) is stupid. In my opinion. How is that an accurate evaluation????
    We need to view this season as a 16 game preseason and give Clemens reps ans see what we have. Chad will just prevent the inevitable for one season. Our line can give Clemens decent protection. Our line will not be a priority in next years draft. Reps reps reps! Not clipboards!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73
    We need to view this season as a 16 game preseason and give Clemens reps ans see what we have. Chad will just prevent the inevitable for one season. Our line can give Clemens decent protection. Our line will not be a priority in next years draft. Reps reps reps! Not clipboards!
    Agreed

All Pro
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    You'll get the kid killed. He was shell shock yesterday.
    Kellen was also behind our putrid second team o-line yesterday... he had to run for his life, just to survive!!! You know, just for sh!ts and giggles... I'd like to see just how bad Penny would fair with the second team... but then of course, all you Manson Family Chad fans would say... he was with the second team... what do you expect from him with no talent on the field with him.
    Last edited by 13; 08-26-2006 at 06:38 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73
    I feel this deserves a thread....Please leave! TY

1) I would rather we win 3 games this season than 5 and get the #1 overall pick

2) If Clemens is a bust, we need to make up for it by getting the #1 pick

3) If we win 5-6 with Chad we could be drafting as low as 8th and miss out on a top-5 franchise player which would set us back even further. We need a pass rush. We need a RB. We need a WR.

4) If Clemens isn't a bust and is the real deal, then, he needs to be ready to take us to a Super Bowl sooner, rather than later. Whats the point of us going to a Super Bowl one year after we might have made it? I dont see the logic. Give him the reps, just like Namath got in his reps his rookie season, set all-time passing records his 3rd season, and won it all his 4th season! And, if we get a new stadium, our Super Bowl win will coincide with the opening of that stadium. A great start!

5) Chad's brain cannot get us deep into the playoffs. You play to win the Super Bowl. There is no other reason for playing on the pro level. If Chad makes the playoffs this season by some football miracle, we will still be stuck OUTSIDE of the Super Bowl in "nobody remembers land".
    If we are going to suck might as well let Chad take the beaten then put Clemens in Midseason.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 13
    Kellen was also behind our putrid second team o-line yesterday... he had to run for his life, just to survive!!! You know, just for sh!ts and giggles... I'd like to see just how bad Penny would look with the second team... but then of course, all you Manson Family Chad fans would say... he was with the second team... what do you expect from him with no talent on the field with him.
    I agree, that the OL makes a big difference. The starting OL didn't protect Pennington 100% of the time either. And when Barlow get you 2 yds a carry, it doesn't help either.

All Pro
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMike
    If we are going to suck might as well let Chad take the beaten then put Clemens in Midseason.
    What point would that serve???? If Chad cannot get the job done in the first couple games, you pull him then... he is not in our future plans no matter how you cut it... give him a couple games(couple meaning 2-3 games)...if and when he fails to get us in the endzone, like he has so far... bench him, put in Kellen and drop him the second the season ends... period. No need to waste any time with him if he cannot preform. That time could be VERY valuable in the learning process of a rookie.
    Last edited by 13; 08-26-2006 at 06:47 PM.

All Pro
    So we win 7 games(MAYBE!) with Chad..Who cares..we win 5 with Clemens..
    Chad will never take the jets to the superbowl.
    Start Clemens by week 6. I think Mangini will have a short leash with Penny if he blows and we are 2-5.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 13
    I'd like to see just how bad Penny would fair with the second team... but then of course, all you Manson Family Chad fans would say... he was with the second team...
    Exactly. I would have loved to see Clemens start yesterdays game just out of curiosity of him with the first team against a very good Giants defense. THEN, if Chad stinks against the 2nd stringers - we know we can start Clemens against Tennessee simply because it doesnt matter anymore. Give a million reps to Chad and we still dont go to a Super Bowl this year or any year. Give a million reps to Clemens and we save one whole season development wise, draft high, and maybe make it to that SB sooner rather than later.

All League
    Mangini runs our team. He will put in Clemens when he feels it the right time. Since I was one of the guys that wanted him as our coach I will agree with and root for whomever he places in at QB. I think we should all do the same. IMO...