Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yards Per Attempt....my Asss!!!

Yards Per Attempt....my Asss!!!

Several posters on this board.. mostly Tex... keep bringing up Yards per Attempt as if it is some holy grail to evaluate QB performance. Consider the career YPA of the following QBs

Joe Montana 7.52
    Chad Pennington 7.34
    Tom Brady 7.08

You would think that Chad and Montana would have similar YPA since they both played in a WCO with a game plan centered around short passes. But Montana had freakn' Jerry Rice and John Taylor - the guys who put the Y in YAC. And Brady is not in a WCO. Now I'm not saying that these stats mean that Chad is better than Brady. What I am saying is YPA is meaningless.

Hall Of Fame
    you and your facts dude....stick to unsupported ranting please!!!!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN
    Several posters on this board.. mostly Tex... keep bringing up Yards per Attempt as if it is some holy grail to evaluate QB performance. Consider the career YPA of the following QBs

Joe Montana 7.52
    Chad Pennington 7.34
    Tom Brady 7.08

You would think that Chad and Montana would have similar YPA since they both played in a WCO with a game plan centered around short passes. But Montana had freakn' Jerry Rice and John Taylor - the guys who put the Y in YAC. And Brady is not in a WCO. Now I'm not saying that these stats mean that Chad is better than Brady. What I am saying is YPA is meaningless.
    I like the find

JetsInsider.com Legend

Joe Montana 7.52
    Chad Pennington 7.34
    Tom Brady 7.08

that's great. 7 superbowls, not one of them is ours.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    You do realize that 7.52 YPA is pretty high for a career in relation to other hall of famers.

The difference between guys like Montana/Elway/Favre and Pennington, is they did it for a considerable amount of time and maintained that average.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Joe Montana 7.52
    Chad Pennington 7.34
    Tom Brady 7.08

Wrong.

YPA is a very good indicator of "production" while the QB rating rewards "effciency".

Hall Of Fame
    I can't put my finger on it but Pennington when healthy is a damn good QB and we're lucky to have a guy of his calibre on our team.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    I can't put my finger on it but Pennington when healthy is a damn good QB and we're lucky to have a guy of his calibre on our team.
    I think he'd be alright too. he needs a little confidence.

Hall Of Fame
    All generic statistics like these are flawed and not nearly as informative as we think. You have to watch the games to know who is good. Chad sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    Wrong.

YPA is a very good indicator of "production" while the QB rating rewards "effciency".

So, than you beleive Chad Penningon has been a productive QB in his career thusfar???

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Wrong.

To me, YPA only becomes a valid stat after a few seasons of regular production. It's similar to why I think YPC doesn't mean too much in a season until a back reaches a certain amount of carries. You have to reach a certain number of attempts in either category before the stat actually holds some weight.

In a span of an entire career, if you're maintaining over 7 yards per attempt after about 110 games (which is almost 6 seasons of regular play), that's a damn good stat, and it says a lot about what you're able to do when the ball's in your hands.

Brady's at about 80 games right now I think, and Chad hasn't even played 50.

BTW, I'd say the exact same thing when it comes to judging a QB's career completion percentage.

All Pro
    YPA is a very good stat. Penny is nowhere near 7 since his 2004 injury in Buffalo, of course. But that number shows why he won a lot of games for us before the injury, and how some fans here didn't realize how good they had it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515
    I think he'd be alright too. he needs a little confidence.
    I think he needs confidence with the playbook and receivers being on the same page. I think Pennington as a person has the confidence. You don't comeback from his injuries unless you're an extremely positive and confident person.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Fwiw, these are inflated by Chad career completion % (65.3 ) which is 2.1% higher then Joe Montana (63.2) and 3.4% higher then Tom brady (61.9). Since it's Yards Per Attempt, Chad is getting positive yardage where the others are posting 0's for those extra completions...

Not that it means anything but if you look at Yards per completion, the numbers are a little different: 11.9 Montana, 11.44 for Brady and 11.24 for Pennington...

Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola
    YPA is a very good stat. Penny is nowhere near 7 since his 2004 injury in Buffalo, of course. But that number shows why he won a lot of games for us before the injury, and how some fans here didn't realize how good they had it.
    After his injury in 2004 and through the playoffs his YPA was 6.78. Pretty good for a guy playing with a torn rotator cuff. That is, if YPA means anything. In 2005 it was 7.76 v. KC; 6.33 v. Miami,; and 4 v. JAX. I'm not sure if 2005 should be counted since he was clearly not recovered from his surgery.

I'm just putting this out there. I don't know if it means much of anything except for the fact that YPA is about as meaningful as hair color when it comes to evaluating QB performance. In fact, a QB with a high YPA is likely piling up yardage in garbage time, while a winning QB is throwing short passes and getting first downs to protect a lead in the 4th qtr.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanTheMaster
    Fwiw, these are inflated by Chad career completion % (65.3 ) which is 2.1% higher then Joe Montana (63.2) and 3.4% higher then Tom brady (61.9). Since it's Yards Per Attempt, Chad is getting positive yardage where the others are posting 0's for those extra completions...

Not that it means anything but if you look at Yards per completion, the numbers are a little different: 11.9 Montana, 11.44 for Brady and 11.24 for Pennington...
    I don't think any of this means anything. If you want to evaluate a QB, I think you look at wins, losses and 4th quarter comebacks. Everything else is mindless banter.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    So, than you beleive Chad Penningon has been a productive QB in his career thusfar???
    I think Rutgers answered that question.

He needs to do it over a longer period of time.

Without looking, PennyBoy's YPA against bottom-feeding teams is probably about 11.45 and against good defensive teams 3.8.

I think Rutgers answered that question.

He needs to do it over a longer period of time.

Without looking, PennyBoy's YPA against bottom-feeding teams is probably about 11.45 and against good defensive teams 3.8.
    Don't most QB's have very good stats against bad Ds and not so great against the very good Ds.?? Is this supposed to be a surprise? Or do average QBs pad thier stats in garbage time. Perhaps your better argument is that Chad had higher YPA in losses than wins.

YPA = meaningless stat

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Don't most QB's have very good stats against bad Ds and not so great against the very good Ds.?? Is this supposed to be a surprise? Or do average QBs pad thier stats in garbage time.
    After X number of games, YPA is a stat that becomes impossible to pad in garbage time. Either the numbers are there or they aren't.

Chad hasn't even played 3 seasons worth of football in his career, it's impossible to gauge this stat in terms of his career in comparison to other quarterbacks.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Joe Montana 7.52
    Chad Pennington 7.34
    Tom Brady 7.08

Ahhh, another "lets use Chad's WHOLE CAREER to hide how crappy he has been for the past few years trick-a-roo", eh?

The ONLY Stats of Relevance when it comes ot Chadwick Pennington is the Stats he has earned since he had his FIRST Shoulder Surgery. Quoting or including his stats BEFORE that time is intellectually dishonest, he is simply NOT the same QB (or the same arm) he was before the surgery.

And those stats?

6.4 YAC -- 70.9 QB Rating -- 2 TD's to 3 INT's and 8 or so Fumbles.

Chad has a MASSIVE amount to prove. QB's often end careers due to arm surgeries, and Chad has done othing since his first one to prove he shouldn't be among them. He lack of scoring and fumbles/INT's in pre-season are NOT an encouraging sign IMO.