Thread: Vince Young dazzles in final preseason game....but does he start Week1?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Vince Young dazzles in final preseason game....but does he start Week1?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=260901009

Looks like Vince has acclimated to the Pro Game quite a bit. My money would be on him starting over Volek but I'm not a betting man!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    8 for 17 huh? Tenn beat GB 35-21.

What's the main thing here we should point out before going crazy about this?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515

no kidding, 8-17 80yds? that's less than 5ypa, that basically what chad has been doing so far this preseason. yawn.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus
    no kidding, 8-17 80yds? that's less than 5ypa, that basically what chad has been doing so far this preseason. yawn.
    Green Bay.

end of "dazzlement"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515

Ooh, ooh, I got it!!!!

He completed less than 50% of his passes.

Hall Of Fame
    What did he do that was so great tonite?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by New York Mick
    What did he do that was so great tonite?
    Avoid injury.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod
    Avoid injury.
    LOL, well that's a good thing.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Sounds like the Titans were pleased with his 3rd down efficiency and leadership given that this was his first start.

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- A sure sign of poise from a rookie quarterback: Vince Young even lobbies for instant-replay calls like a veteran.

Young was impressive in his first exhibition start for the Tennessee Titans, consistently turning third downs into first downs in a 35-21 victory over the Green Bay Packers on Friday afternoon.

Young's lone touchdown pass came on a successful replay challenge by the Titans in the first quarter, but Young had an apparent touchdown called back on a replay challenge by the Packers in the third quarter.

"That was a touchdown as well," Young said. "They just robbed me."

Young played the Titans' first three series and returned for much of the third quarter of the two teams' exhibition finale, completing 8-of-17 passes for 80 yards and a touchdown.

"I pretty much knew that I was going to feel a little more comfortable this week as well," Young said. "So I wanted to keep the chains moving on third down, and (score) when I'm in the ball game."

And move the chains he did. The third overall pick in the draft went 5-for-6 on third down for four first-down conversions and a 16-yard touchdown pass to Bobby Wade in the first quarter.

"We weren't especially productive on third down the last few weeks, and it was an emphasis this week," Titans coach Jeff Fisher said.

Practice Squad
    it's either gonna be kerry collins or billy volek in week one vs. the jets. vince young isn't going to start for a long time barring a complete disasster of a season for the titans. chris mortensen even said the other night on espn that young could be 2 years away from being an nfl starter. i think he might play in some special packages, like maybe a play or two here or there just to keep the defense honest but i would seriously doubt that he would be starting opening day against the jets.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod
    Ooh, ooh, I got it!!!!

He completed less than 50% of his passes.
    that, and the fact that it was against Green Bay that he didn't complete over %50 of his passes.

All League
    I hope he does start, he gives us the best chance to win

Dr Baddniss predicts that Kerry Collins starts in week #1. This is GREAT news for the Jets. Collins sucks & we will crush him & win. By October, Volek & Young will be starting, either one would kick our ass.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life
    Respectfully no. Simply not correct. Young is a GREAT athlete. Collins is a crappy QB. We are 100 times better off with Collins starting for them than Young or Volek. Volek would throw for 400 yards against our zero pass rush. We want Collins.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life
    Same here.