Thread: Scouts Inc Matchup Jets/Titans

All League

Scouts Inc Matchup Jets/Titans

Jets, Titans looking to start fastBy Scouts, Inc

Why To Watch
    There are so many reasons to kick your feet up and watch these two struggling football teams. The New York Jets and new head coach Eric Mangini are starting out the 2006 season with several questions that were not answered in the preseason. The Jets have struggled with being consistent on both offense and defense. The Jets have not established a running game or who will be the No. 1 back. It is interesting that they would trade their top tight end (Doug Jolley) and a reliable backup quarterback (Brooks Bollinger) before the season for future draft picks.

For the Titans, it will be very interesting to see how much rookie quarterback Vince Young will play. After acquiring Kerry Collins late in the preseason there is definitely a quarterback controversy in Nashville. I am going to watch close to see how both coaches will game plan and call the game. Coach Jeff Fischer and his staff are on the hot seat to win now, while Eric Mangini might have somewhat of a pass in his first season. This game might be between two of the NFL's bottom teams, but there should still be plenty to watch.

When the Jets have the ball
    Rushing: The Jets rushing offense is tough to analyze. The injury to Curtis Martin left the Jets with a big void in the running game. The acquisition of running back Kevan Barlow appeared to be a solid move for the Jets, but he did not show much on his limited carries in the preseason.
    I like to look at the interior matchups when analyzing running games and it appears that the Titans have the edge in this area. The size and power of defensive tackles Albert Haynesworth and Randy Starks (320 and 315 lbs. respectively) will make it tough for the Jets to find much room to run between the tackles. The advantage also goes to the Titans in regards to the the linebacker vs. fullback matchup. I really like their talent at the backer position with Keith Bulluck in the middle flanked by speedy Peter Sirmon and instinctive playmaker David Thornton. I don't expect the Jets to break too many runs into the 2nd and 3rd levels but safeties Chris Hope and Lamont Thompson are very solid vs. the run.

New York might head to Tennessee with a running game by committee approach as no back has grabbed the job. I do like the Jets tackles (1st rounder D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Anthony Clements) vs. the defensive ends of Tennessee (Vanden Bosh and Travis LaBoy), but that won't be enough to put much of a dent in Tennessee's defense.

I like Chad Pennington as a solid, steady performer. If given time, Pennington will be effective moving the ball. The receiving corps has been less than impressive in the preseason. Tim Dwight has missed most of the preseason with an injury and may be somewhat limited in the opener while Justin McCareins (best big play athlete) has been relegated to a backup position and may be in Mangini's dog house. I don't see many options for Pennington to stretch the Tennessee secondary.

If Pacman Jones plays (status to play is not certain) for the Titans he can be one of the best in the league at the cornerback position. Reynaldo Hill will be very competent opposite of Jones. The Titans might not get much pressure from the edge vs. Ferguson and Clement. I do believe the Jets can move the ball in the air if they keep it simple and short.

When the Titans have the ball
    Rushing: The Titans have struggled to run the ball during the preseason. The running game has been anemic, averaging only 3.1 yards per carry between their top three backs (Chris Brown, Travis Henry and LenDale White). The Titans most productive run threat has been Vince Young.

The Titans' offensive line appears to be very solid at the guard and center positions (Kevin Mawae in the middle flanked by Zach Pillar and Benji Olson). I like their chances to make some creases between the tackles vs. the interior defensive front of the New York Jets (DT Dewayne Robertson and inside linebackers Jonathan Vilma and Eric Barton). The Titans' offensive tackles may have a tougher time getting movement vs. Jets defensive ends Kimo von Oelhoffen and Shaun Ellis. The jury is still out on Titans tight end Ben Troupe as a blocker. If he can be a more physical and consistent run blocker it could tip the run game advantage to Tennessee.

There is not much to get excited about in the running game for the Titans. They will have to develop a more effective plan and not rely on their young quarterback to make plays with his legs if they want to win many games in 2006.

Passing: Tennesee's passing attack has been disappointing throughout the preseason. Billy Volek has been the most productive QB, completing 64 percent of his passes. Vince Young, who has taken the bulk of the preseason snaps has been very inconsistent throwing the ball. Now the Titans have added Kerry Collins to the mix and it's unclear who will start.

Tennessee does have a number of options to throw to. Offensive coordinator, Norm Chow does a nice job spreading the ball around to his receivers, tight ends and backs. Newly acquired receiver David Givens has not been a factor in the preseason, but Drew Bennett, Bobby Wade, Brandon Jones and Courtney Roby have taken up the slack. I believe that Roby and Jones have the best chance to make a big play in the vertical passing attack. Both Tennessee tight ends, Ben Troupe and Bo Scaife, have been solid. It makes it tough on the defense when the tight ends are effective in the passing game.

The Jets secondary has been opportunistic in the preseason with six picks in four games, but the pressure on the passer has been less than impressive with only five sacks. If the new base 3-4 defensive scheme that Mangini has brought to the Jets can pressure the Tennessee quarterbacks without linebacker help, the advantage will go to New York. If the Jets lack of pressure continues, Volek, Collins or Young should be able to move the ball in the air. When all is said and done I believe the Titans will sorely miss the services of McNair.

IMO JMac is NOT our best big play option any longer. I think B. Smith has taken over that seat.

All League
    Jets-6
    Titans-3

All Pro
    Sorry, this lost credibility when the phrase "top tight end" was used in relation to Doug Jolley.

too bad they don't make a prediction

All League
    I like the Jets in a close game - more offensive points than expected with the Jets winning 20-10. Look for the Jets to pound the rock in the middle and expect big yards on Special Teams from the Jets KR team. I think our backfield will pick off two errant passes, and one of them for a TD. Look for Dyson to have the Titans wishing they never let him go.

Look for Mawae to have a solid game. And Volek to start.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR
    Sorry, this lost credibility when the phrase "top tight end" was used in relation to Doug Jolley.

He talks about our receivers and mentions McCareins and Tim Dwight, but not a word on Coles. Then he calls McCareins our big play threat.

I think it's safe to say this guy's credibility is questionable.

Hall Of Fame

Arrow TITANS vs JETS : by Scouts, Inc. ~ ~ ~

already posted
    Last edited by kelly; 09-05-2006 at 06:37 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Kelly - come on now, take a minute to scan the board - this has been posted.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR