Thread: OT-Moving Time Warner digital cable box

Veteran

OT-Moving Time Warner digital cable box

I have a digital cable box in my room at home, and was wondering if it was possible to just move the box up to my dorm room (it is cable ready), and recieve digital cable. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Does your dorm room have the same cable TV provider as the one you have at home?? If is it's a different cable TV provider then your box definitely won't work.

Veteran
    It's the same cable provider, Time Warner at home and Time Warner in my dorm room.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjet80
    It's the same cable provider, Time Warner at home and Time Warner in my dorm room.

Good Luck, but get ready for disappointment.

I once had trouble with my cablevision box and had a fantastic tech come by.
    He saw my interest in the technology and spent significant time explaining things to me.
    He even enlisted me as a second tester by allowing me to log in to the cable vision test site and run a suite of programs. VERY COOL.

Although I'm no expert, I got the strong impression that the cablevision system knows which branch each box hangs off of (both digital cable and internet) and will refuse a connection from a box that is located in the wrong place.

Time Warner might be different, but I'm guessing no.

GG