Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocky Statue in process of moving back to steps

Rookie

Rocky Statue in process of moving back to steps

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Banned
    That's funny. I'm going to Philly this weekend. I'd like to see the statue and run up the steps.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickster

I dont know what took them so long.. That friggin statue is an American Icon...

anyone seen the Trailer for Rocky 6? It looks like its gonna be 1 heck of a movie. I cant wait for it to come out..... it says DEC 22nd

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LETSGOJETS
    I dont know what took them so long.. That friggin statue is an American Icon...

anyone seen the Trailer for Rocky 6? It looks like its gonna be 1 heck of a movie. I cant wait for it to come out..... it says DEC 22nd

When I heard they were making another Rocky movie, I thought it was really a bad idea. But after seeing the trailer, I got that old nostaligic feeling about Rocky back. I'm excited about the movie now.

All League
    There was little debate, but each of the eight voting commission members in attendance gave an explanation. One opponent, Miguelangel Corzo, said that the issue, to him, was not whether the statue was considered art. He said there is a urinal inside the museum that is considered art.

This made me laugh.

They have got to be kidding.

This is just a marketing ploy by Stallion and company to promote the new Rocky movie.

Such low standards these Philadephians have.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by papichango
    There was little debate, but each of the eight voting commission members in attendance gave an explanation. One opponent, Miguelangel Corzo, said that the issue, to him, was not whether the statue was considered art. He said there is a urinal inside the museum that is considered art.

This made me laugh.

They have got to be kidding.

This is just a marketing ploy by Stallion and company to promote the new Rocky movie.

Such low standards these Philadephians have.
    What are you talking about? Rocky does not need the extra Marketing ESPECIALLY in the city of Philadelphia. That statue belongs on the steps where movie history was made.

If Philly was smart, they would leave it there forever and it should become a tourist attraction.

As far as it not being art.... It doesn't have to be. Its there for its history, not its artwork.

Veteran
    F*ck that statue.

It's a "feel good" monument of a fake figure, worshipped by fake sports fans in Philly and elsewhere.

Should tear it down, send it to Hollywood, and replace it with a statue of a real life Champ, trained on the streets of Philly....Joe Frazier.

All League
    What are you talking about? Rocky does not need the extra Marketing ESPECIALLY in the city of Philadelphia. That statue belongs on the steps where movie history was made.

If Philly was smart, they would leave it there forever and it should become a tourist attraction.

As far as it not being art.... It doesn't have to be. Its there for its history, not its artwork.
    LETSGOJETS I have to disagree. He needs the Marketing because as far as I'm concerned it will only be the city of Philadelphia going to see this movie.

Since the character is a bit out dated.

His MOVIE statue is not art.

It's a movie PROP.

The movie's history was completely destroyed with the last movie he made. Yes that's my opinion. Rocky is nothing but a white version of George Foreman without the grill.

To consider this piece of movie prop art is ridiculous. This is the number one reason this eagles team will not win a superbowl. The team is like it's city their priorities are disheveled.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

That friggin statue is an American Icon...
    Joining an illustrious list of props such as Minnie Pearl's hat, Julie Garland's emerald slippers and John Holmes' cock ring.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies
    Joining an illustrious list of props such as Minnie Pearl's hat, Julie Garland's emerald slippers and John Holmes' cock ring.

Did Minnie Pearls hat or Julie Garlands slippers make you want to go out and do better for yourself?

did they make you believe the unachievable was achievable with hard work??

no, which put this statue above Movie prop status.. once again, putting that statue on the steps has nothing todo with marketing because the whole city of PHI is going to watch this movie anyways.

I would have never heard about this if I had not read it here. So how can that be a prop?

Rookie
    LETSGOJETS I have to disagree. He needs the Marketing because as far as I'm concerned it will only be the city of Philadelphia going to see this movie.

Since the character is a bit out dated.

His MOVIE statue is not art.

It's a movie PROP.

The movie's history was completely destroyed with the last movie he made. Yes that's my opinion. Rocky is nothing but a white version of George Foreman without the grill.

To consider this piece of movie prop art is ridiculous. This is the number one reason this eagles team will not win a superbowl. The team is like it's city their priorities are disheveled.
    if it was just a movie prop there wouldnt have been all this debate over it. It belongs at the top of the stairs, and I bet you the majority of the people from Philly agree.

All League
    i dont really care about any of this...

i just find it funny that the greatest sports hero in philly history is a fictional movie character...

and Rocky 6 looks like garbage...you guys are foolish if you think its gonna be halfway as good as any other rocky movie, including the abortion that was ROcky 5...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Did Minnie Pearls hat or Julie Garlands slippers make you want to go out and do better for yourself?

did they make you believe the unachievable was achievable with hard work??

no, which put this statue above Movie prop status.. once again, putting that statue on the steps has nothing todo with marketing because the whole city of PHI is going to watch this movie anyways.

I would have never heard about this if I had not read it here. So how can that be a prop?
    wow. i commend you for your enthusiasm on this seemingly non-issue.

i've given the matter further thought. Here is what I've decided.

The statue is a prop.

Rocky is an icon.

If a prop (or an icon) inspire you or not - is irrelevent.

The Ruby Slippers are however iconic because they are synonomous with the Wizard of Oz and can be used as an independent reference. That's why the slippers are in the Smithsonian and the Rocky Statue is a Philadelphia hot potato
    Last edited by Traitor Jay & the Woodies; 09-07-2006 at 02:46 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    if it was just a movie prop there wouldnt have been all this debate over it. It belongs at the top of the stairs, and I bet you the majority of the people from Philly agree.
    The reason they are debating IS weather or not it's art or prop.

Some people want to say it's historical in someway.

Ridiculous I say.

Most historian's or person with at least one neuron would pick " The Liberty Bell" over a fictional character in a movie.

When speaking of historical events.

It's a Prop nothing more.

Stallone doesn't even live in Philadelphia.

The man just wants to have a monument of himself.

What's next Judge Dread in L.A.

What has he given Philadelphia? What contributions or monies?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    i dont really care about any of this...

i just find it funny that the greatest sports hero in philly history is a fictional movie character...

and Rocky 6 looks like garbage...you guys are foolish if you think its gonna be halfway as good as any other rocky movie, including the abortion that was ROcky 5...

All Pro

Philly is Stallone's home town.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The reason they are debating IS weather or not it's art or prop.

Some people want to say it's historical in someway.

Ridiculous I say.

Most historian's or person with at least one neuron would pick " The Liberty Bell" over a fictional character in a movie.

When speaking of historical events.

It's a Prop nothing more.

The man just wants to have a monument of himself.

What's next Judge Dread in L.A.

What has he given Philadelphia? What contributions or monies?
    They should just put an eagles helmet on the statue and say it's the "invinceable" dude.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies
    They should just put an eagles helmet on the statue and say it's the "invinceable" dude.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    The reason they are debating IS weather or not it's art or prop. Some people want to say it's historical in someway.

Ridiculous I say. Most historian's or person with at least one neuron would pick " The Liberty Bell" over a fictional character in a movie.

When speaking of historical events. It's a Prop nothing more. Stallone doesn't even live in Philadelphia. The man just wants to have a monument of himself.
    What's next Judge Dread in L.A. What has he given Philadelphia? What contributions or monies?

So what are you saying Papi? Do you think the Buffalo Bills fans would be opposed to an OJ Simpson statue in front of Ralph Wilson stadium?

C'mon, he could have a football in one hand and a knife in the other. I think the residents of that fair city would rally behind a piece of history like that.

Don't you?