Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion...replays

Veteran

Opinion...replays

I don't think anyone can question the power that the NFL wields as a professional sports league. They have grown into a multi-billion dollar industry, generating astronomical revenues and in nearly every case, dumping phenomenal sums of money into a home city's tax rolls. Not to mention the impact their games have on gambling (legal and illegal) worldwide, merchandise sales, and the restaurants, hotels, bars, and markets surrounding 16 stadiums every week nationwide...Professional football in the U.S. is so intimately interwoven with the culture that it's fair to say that as a team's fortune goes, so goes the economy of it's home.

Why then, in such a high revenue, intensely competitive enviroment, is it so tough to get a call like the Heath Miller's non-TD TD call right...It wasn't close...even at full speed from 15 yards away anyone of minimal competence could see 20" of his leg on the sideline...Further, why, in a stadium rippling with wireless communication, elite audio systems, digital recording equiptment, and hi-def video screens the size of the Titanic, are we relying on a red rag to alert a distracted 65 year old lawyer with is back turned and 80,000 fans screaming that he messed up the call?

Come on Roger...here's a good way to start your tenure as commish. If you are going to use a replay system to correct officiating errors, then for the love of God, please develop a system better than the local Pop Warner league is using.

BTW, don't get me wrong, I love that the Dolphins were hurt by the call, and I didn't have any scratch on this game...it's just the latest of hundreds of examples where the NFL has astronomically lofty goals/expectations and embarassingly crappy and incompetent execution.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I didn't see it, but from what I read the Fins had the opportunity to challenge the call and didn't. IMO that's on the fish and not the NFL.

All League
    good post..IMO any questionable call should be looked at upstairs then immediately let the refs on the field know...stop the game and review it...If theres 20 plays like that in a game, so be it...get better refs

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet
    I didn't see it, but from what I read the Fins had the opportunity to challenge the call and didn't. IMO that's on the fish and not the NFL.
    Saban could have thrown the flag sooner...that is true. But he did throw it before the snap of the next play by maybe a second or two. The problem facing coaches is the system the NFL has put together. This was a big, game changing play that was miscalled. Saban's staff wants to make sure they are right, lest they lose a valuable time-out. Cowher knows he's getting away on a ****ty call, so he's rushing the kick team to the line.

My point is if you are going to use a lost timeout as a way to discourage coaches from launching frivilous challenges, then it has to cut both ways...the officials blew the call, OK, it happens, but Saban's staff checked the play, saw it was blown and threw the flag before the next play. Now the criticism is how he threw it?! Really? Let's say he throws it hard and it lands at Coleman's feet just behind him...he still won't see it. Is that the best system this mega-league can come up with? Hit the ref with the flag or deal with the bad calls? No one else on the staff can be assigned to moniter this? No one from the booth can contact the ref and tell him he missed a valid challenge? And for the love of Pete, why can't a reliable buzzer systems be employed? We can put a man on the moon, but we can't master vibrating pagers? Applebee's has mastered the freaking technology and the NFL can't get it right?

Like I said, I'm glad the Phins lost, but I'm afraid because that the parity that the NFL is so proud of creating, is going to get bit them in the ass because of blown calls and clumbsy inneffective corrections for the ref's errors.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buffboy
    Saban could have thrown the flag sooner...that is true. But he did throw it before the snap of the next play by maybe a second or two. The problem facing coaches is the system the NFL has put together. This was a big, game changing play that was miscalled. Saban's staff wants to make sure they are right, lest they lose a valuable time-out. Cowher knows he's getting away on a ****ty call, so he's rushing the kick team to the line.

My point is if you are going to use a lost timeout as a way to discourage coaches from launching frivilous challenges, then it has to cut both ways...the officials blew the call, OK, it happens, but Saban's staff checked the play, saw it was blown and threw the flag before the next play. Now the criticism is how he threw it?! Really? Let's say he throws it hard and it lands at Coleman's feet just behind him...he still won't see it. Is that the best system this mega-league can come up with? Hit the ref with the flag or deal with the bad calls? No one else on the staff can be assigned to moniter this? No one from the booth can contact the ref and tell him he missed a valid challenge? And for the love of Pete, why can't a reliable buzzer systems be employed? We can put a man on the moon, but we can't master vibrating pagers? Applebee's has mastered the freaking technology and the NFL can't get it right?

Like I said, I'm glad the Phins lost, but I'm afraid because that the parity that the NFL is so proud of creating, is going to get bit them in the ass because of blown calls and clumbsy inneffective corrections for the ref's errors.
    I see your point. When you think about it a red flad is kind of silly and archaic.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Saban waited a good minute after the replay was shown (with a confused look on his face) to throw that flag. (as best as I can tell)

He waived it back and forth twice in his hand, before he actually threw it, wasting another 5-10 seconds.

When he finally did throw it (about 5 seconds before the ball was snapped) he threw it behind the referee who was staring at the extra point attempt.

Saban was WAY too tentative and should have thrown it overhand to get it in front of the official or at least in his field of vision instead of his little underhand toss that landed about 4 ft behind the official.

He also could have yelled at the official which it didn't appear that he did, the replay just showed him starting to walk out onto the field as the ball was being snapped, by the time he said anything (by the time you see his mouth move in the replay) the ball was already snapped.

Hesitation on the part of Saban is the main culprit here and he should be ripped for it, not the NFL.

I'd put 90% of the blame on Saban for such a half-hearted effort and 10% of the blame on the officials for not seeing it.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 09-08-2006 at 10:34 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I just don't get how they got rid of the buzzer system because they couldn't get them to work consistently. I swear what idiots work for the NFL that they can't get something to buzz on one end when something is pressed in a booth or by the headcoach. Let me get this straight, everyone in america owns a cell phone and with a voicemail or txt message we all can get our phones to vibrate within seconds anywhere we want. Plus like 15 years ago drug dealers had beepers which vibrate. But somehow a ref 10 yards away from the head coach can't carry something that consistently vibrates when trying to notify him. Ok with that said, Saban is a little biatch. He almost didn't throw the flag, waited till the last second and then he threw it like 2 inches. I have seen better throws by kindergarden girls in the school yard. Plus the whole game he is screaming and yelling, this one play he doesn't open his mouth at all and yell to the ref. Give me a break he was scared to actually challenge the play, he was too hesitant and he messed up.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Actually, I think a better idea is to provide each caoch with a button. When they push the button to challenge a bright light should flash in each endzone. That would make it near impossible to miss.

Veteran
    Actually, I think a better idea is to provide each caoch with a button. When they push the button to challenge a bright light should flash in each endzone. That would make it near impossible to miss.
    Petejet,

There you go...I don't know you, but you have developed a more intelligent system on an internet messageboard, then the NFL braintrust has been able to manage in 10 years.

This might be a big deal if I had any doubt in Pittsburghs ability to punch it in with 1st and goal from the 2.

Saban waited WAAAY too long to throw the flag -- and when he did throw it, he threw it where none of the refs could see it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    any team that blows a coverage that badly deserves what they get - it was the play of the game either way and they blew it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    any team that blows a coverage that badly deserves what they get - it was the play of the game either way and they blew it.

OK, fair enough...but if it happened against the Jets, this MB would crash from the bandwidth overload.

Practice Squad
    The rep.,ay system is pretty good. They tried the buzzer thing but that malfunctioned sometimes so they stopped that. The throwing of the red flag worken against Miami last night because Saban threw it too late and not where an official could see it. The system is fine the way it is with coaches challenged before the 2 minute warning of each half and both for final 2 minutes of each half and OT. Keep the system the way it is it was the Sabans fault not the booth or officials.

I think Saban was hesitant to risk a time out to get back 2 yards of an 89 ? yard run. The risk reward at that point was very questionable.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Postseason
    I think Saban was hesitant to risk a time out to get back 2 yards of an 89 ? yard run. The risk reward at that point was very questionable.
    If that was the case then he shouldn't have thrown the damn challenge flag at all!!!

Rookie
    Petejet,

There you go...I don't know you, but you have developed a more intelligent system on an internet messageboard, then the NFL braintrust has been able to manage in 10 years.
    Or the Refs uniform lights up with bright blinking lights with a LOUD buzz in their earphone. LOL

the red flag is pretty dumb

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan
    Saban waited a good minute after the replay was shown (with a confused look on his face) to throw that flag. (as best as I can tell)

He waived it back and forth twice in his hand, before he actually threw it, wasting another 5-10 seconds.

When he finally did throw it (about 5 seconds before the ball was snapped) he threw it behind the referee who was staring at the extra point attempt.

Saban was WAY too tentative and should have thrown it overhand to get it in front of the official or at least in his field of vision instead of his little underhand toss that landed about 4 ft behind the official.

He also could have yelled at the official which it didn't appear that he did, the replay just showed him starting to walk out onto the field as the ball was being snapped, by the time he said anything (by the time you see his mouth move in the replay) the ball was already snapped.

Hesitation on the part of Saban is the main culprit here and he should be ripped for it, not the NFL.

I'd put 90% of the blame on Saban for such a half-hearted effort and 10% of the blame on the officials for not seeing it.
    Well said AROD I agree 100%

Banned

It actually was not that big. Even if Miller had been called out of bounds at the 2, the Steeler would have still had 1st and goal at the 2. They woudl have scored in the next couple of plays.

My problem with replay is that I feel everything should be reviewable. In the first half, on a play that had a much bigger impact on the game's outcome, the Dolphins were not called for pass interference on a third and long for the Steelers. On the ensuing play, the Dolphins returned a punt to inside the Steeler 15, setting up the Fins first score and tying the game. Had the interference call been made, the Steelers would have had a first down deep inside Dolphins territory and probably would have gotten at least a field goal. The no-call on the pass interference led to the score being tied and changing both teams strategy for the rest of the contest, thus having a much bigger impact on the game as a whole than the Heath Miller call.

But pass interference is not reviewable. Why not? I have yet to hear a good explanation for this.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonio_JetFan
    Saban waited WAAAY too long to throw the flag -- and when he did throw it, he threw it where none of the refs could see it.
    Exactly right SAJF. He underhanded the flag less than five feet - vast majority of NFL coaches chuck that thing far onto the field with authority. Nick Saban f***ed up. Hopefully a few more blunders like this and we can stop the Saban = Belichick nonsense.