Thread: Week 1 Grades & Week 2 Improvements needed

Veteran

Week 1 Grades & Week 2 Improvements needed

Week 1
    Chad Pennington, Laveranues Coles, Nick Mangold, Dave Ball, Andre Dyson and Jonathan Vilma had outstanding A+ games in Tennessee.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Derrick Blaylock, Chris Baker, Victor Hobson played well.

I thought Schottenheimer was brilliant in his mixture of plays designed to keep the Titans guessing.

Sutton was good until the 4th quarter, when they seemed to get too conservative in coverage/scheme.

Week 2

There is obvious concern about Mike Nugent. I believe Westhoff will get into this kid's head and work him hard this week. He'll be fine. One request I have for the Jets fans attending Sunday's game, is..

DO NOT BOO OR HARASS NUGENT WHEN HE COMES ON THE FIELD

He's our kicker and showing disdain for him doesn't help get the ball through the uprights. It's our job as fans to build his confidence, not tear it down.

My other area of concern is David Barrett.

Once again, opponents pick on him with varying levels of success. I don't think it's a toughness issue, but it seems he's too small and a half second too slow to make plays. I'm very uneasy with him out there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHiJetMan
    Week 1

Im throwing Duracel's at him

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSE
    Im throwing Duracel's at him
    Nugent is garbage. He is a disgrace and should be booed mercilessly. Right now he has to be the worst kicker among the NFL's 32 teams.

As long as he is cashing his weekly game checks, he is fair game with respect to fan criticism. And the fact that he was a second round draft pick, and that he can't kick a touchback to save his life - this guy is stealing money and should be cut as soon as someone can surface from a UPS delivery truck who can kick a football more than fifty yards...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by davejet
    Nugent is garbage. He is a disgrace and should be booed mercilessly. Right now he has to be the worst kicker among the NFL's 32 teams.

As long as he is cashing his weekly game checks, he is fair game with respect to fan criticism. And the fact that he was a second round draft pick, and that he can't kick a touchback to save his life - this guy is stealing money and should be cut as soon as someone can surface from a UPS delivery truck who can kick a football more than fifty yards...
    He may well deserve to get booed, but that does NOT help this team win on Sunday. We need this kid's confidence on Sunday and if cheering him, or at least not booing him, helps restore his confidence then everyone at the stadium MUST not boo him.

We're all pissed at him...but MileHiJetMan makes a GREAT point. Do not boo Nugent on Tuesday - cheer like crazy when he comes on the field - cause we need every point he can give us.

All League
    Sutton did fine. The Titans only had one scoring drive against the Jets. The other drive started at the 1 yard line after the fumble. i would like to see a little more press coverage when we blitz but lets see what happens this week..

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by djc
    Do not boo Nugent on Tuesday - cheer like crazy when he comes on the field - cause we need every point he can give us.
    Thanks for backing me up.

Nugent may not be a good kicker right now, but that can change in a NY minute. The last thing he needs is Jets fans (supposedly there to cheer him on) being his worst enemy.

All Pro
    Week 1
    Chad Pennington, Laveranues Coles, Nick Mangold, Dave Ball, Andre Dyson and Jonathan Vilma had outstanding A+ games in Tennessee.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Derrick Blaylock, Chris Baker, Victor Hobson played well.

I thought Schottenheimer was brilliant in his mixture of plays designed to keep the Titans guessing.

Sutton was good until the 4th quarter, when they seemed to get too conservative in coverage/scheme.

Week 2

There is obvious concern about Mike Nugent. I believe Westhoff will get into this kid's head and work him hard this week. He'll be fine. One request I have for the Jets fans attending Sunday's game, is..

He's our kicker and showing disdain for him doesn't help get the ball through the uprights. It's our job as fans to build his confidence, not tear it down.

Once again, opponents pick on him with varying levels of success. I don't think it's a toughness issue, but it seems he's too small and a half second too slow to make plays. I'm very uneasy with him out there.
    Please tell me you were kidding about Blaylock . He should be dropped to third running back after that performance. He's not a feature back and never will be.

All Pro
    Wasn't Nugent a first round draft pick

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun
    Please tell me you were kidding about Blaylock . He should be dropped to third running back after that performance. He's not a feature back and never will be.

I would expect to see more of Barlow/Houston/Washington if Blaylock does not pick up his game early against the Pats.

Gastineau99
    David Barrett tends to start of slow but really come around after the first few games in my opinion. He is also coming off an injury so I would cut him some slack. He didn't let up any huge plays or touchdowns either.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by djc
    He may well deserve to get booed, but that does NOT help this team win on Sunday. We need this kid's confidence on Sunday and if cheering him, or at least not booing him, helps restore his confidence then everyone at the stadium MUST not boo him.

We're all pissed at him...but MileHiJetMan makes a GREAT point. Do not boo Nugent on Tuesday - cheer like crazy when he comes on the field - cause we need every point he can give us.
    I'm inclined to agree and wouldn't consider booing him but I also hope that he's not that fragile.

Veteran
    Knoxville, TN, but originally from NW Mass.
    Week 1

Week 2

RE the late game defense...the Jets appeared to be in a nickel for most of the 4th quarter. Why not a dime? Just curious, but I counted several times and could only see 5 DB's.

There also was a big lack of pass rush late.

Also, Chad was absolutely creamed a few times by Titans DL. Gotta protect a bit better or he will go down again...anybody will go down if hit hard enough often enough.

Veteran

sorry i cannot agree the kid got a year under his belt he shouldnt have had the day he had...right now iam uneasy with him kicking field goals...yesturday i was praying for chad to get that TD to baker so this kid wouldnt come out there to kick the field goal...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by el_dub80
    Wasn't Nugent a first round draft pick
    second

i agree with you

Week 1

Week 2

he does deserve a second chance. I did post yesterday that if the jets would of lost that game I wanted him cut. But guess what I'm willing to give him 1 more shot. After all we did spend a 2 round pick on his a$$, and if fu@ks up I say cut his a$$. I could not take it to the jets lose an other playoff game because of a kicker.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by stagman
    he does deserve a second chance. I did post yesterday that if the jets would of lost that game I wanted him cut. But guess what I'm willing to give him 1 more shot. After all we did spend a 2 round pick on his a$$, and if fu@ks up I say cut his a$$. I could not take it to the jets lose an other playoff game because of a kicker.

Cut??? Who would you replace him with, yeah he did a terrible job out there against the Titans. It's not the money or 2 round pick but what reliable kicker is available that does not already have a job, Doug Brien?

I apologize in advance for this, but I am sure you want HONEST responses to your posts:

What in your wildest dreams leads you to believe that D.Blalock ran well yesterday? Did you watch the game? You certainly didnt come to that conclusion watching the Jets-Titan game that I saw. My reaction to posts like this is simply to think less of the poster's NFL judgement.I hate to be so harsh. Maybe you have an "outside" agenda? Perhaps you are Blalock's brother in law or cousin? Other than that , what play (name one) would you base this comment on.
    Anyone have Blalock's game stats on hand?