Thread: The Jets runnng game and what is missing

All League

The Jets runnng game and what is missing

Two things are missing:

1) At least one more solid presence on the line. Currently, the line has little ability open holes against a tough d-line. Tennesse's d-line is decent, and the Jets o-line couldn't make holes against them. Today against the very good Pats d-line, they were pushing our o-line backwards all day.

2) A runner who can make quicker side cuts. I was watching the Falcons today, and Warrick Dunn was dealing with some poor blocking by the Falcon's o-line in inside runs. On several plays, he bounced outside when nothing developed inside. His ability to make those lightning quick side cuts when the middle is clogged is something totally absent from Blaylock's game. Barlow is a bit better, but not the type of back that can overcome poor blocking. Houston doesn't have that quick move. Maybe Washington would have a better chance. Dunno.

Bottom line, without a more talented back who can make things happen when the blocking stinks, or an improvement of 0-line play, the running game is going to continue to suck wind.

This may sound crazy, but in some ways, I wish we still had Anthony Becht. As much as he was unexciting as a receiver, he did help the running game with tough blocking.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern
    Two things are missing:

1) At least one more solid presence on the line. Currently, the line has little ability open holes against a tough d-line. Tennesse's d-line is decent, and the Jets o-line couldn't make holes against them. Today against the very good Pats d-line, they were pushing our o-line backwards all day.

2) A runner who can make quicker side cuts. I was watching the Falcons today, and Warrick Dunn was dealing with some poor blocking by the Falcon's o-line in inside runs. On several plays, he bounced outside when nothing developed inside. His ability to make those lightning quick side cuts when the middle is clogged is something totally absent from Blaylock's game. Barlow is a bit better, but not the type of back that can overcome poor blocking. Houston doesn't have that quick move. Maybe Washington would have a better chance. Dunno.

Bottom line, without a more talented back who can make things happen when the blocking stinks, or an improvement of 0-line play, the running game is going to continue to suck wind.

This may sound crazy, but in some ways, I wish we still had Anthony Becht. As much as he was enexciting as a receiver, he did help the running game with tough blocking.

Maybe Leon Washington.. He is a similar runner to Dunn