Thread: In a 3-4, size is important up-front so....

All Pro

In a 3-4, size is important up-front so....

my question is do you guys think DRob an play De in this systemt. I realize Seymour and DRob are a different build but Seymour was a tackle that now plays 3-4 End and he's very good at it. Can DRob make this conversion if he drops to his normal playing weight (310 or so)

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterLyles
    my question is do you guys think DRob an play De in this systemt. I realize Seymour and DRob are a different build but Seymour was a tackle that now plays 3-4 End and he's very good at it. Can DRob make this conversion if he drops to his normal playing weight (310 or so)

Nope. He is too slow to play the end and he is just too horrible to play the middle.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    he ran a legit 4.8 at 310 pounds he is far from slow

i believe Drob is playing out of position and should be 3-4 DE instead of NT

Kimo is getting up there in years, if Drob has a role on this team in the future it will be at DE not NT

All Pro
    agree with bit. he's certainly not slow and he's very quick for his size. Is he an Abe/Osi type athlete? No but those guys cannot play DE ina 3-4. Bigger guys tend to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan_Johnny
    Nope. He is too slow to play the end and he is just too horrible to play the middle.
    Speed is not important for a DE in a 34 system. The modern 34 front relies on size, strength, leverage, technique. It's basically a NT, NT, NT front with the interior nose as a gigantic one. Almost every 34 end in the league, whether it's Luis Castillo, Travis Kirshke, Kimo Von Oelhoffen, Bryant Young, Richard Seymour are all former 43 NTs. They are there basically to act as the "blockers" to open up gaps for the linebackers to shoot through, two gapping.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    he ran a legit 4.8 at 310 pounds he is far from slow

i believe Drob is playing out of position and should be 3-4 DE instead of NT

Kimo is getting up there in years, if Drob has a role on this team in the future it will be at DE not NT

Then I stand corrected. I say try , the worst that can happen is we won't be able to stop the run or get a pass rush........wait we can't do those ayway

All Pro
    I have lost all hope for DRob. 4-3, 3-4, DT, NT, DE ... it does not matter. He has one critical flaw that will prevent him from ever being anything but ordinary. He cannot disengage from blockers. Period. He is quick for his size, has excellent strength, is a good tackler, but he lacks the technique required to get away from blockers. He is a classic case of an above average college football player being way overrated because of pre draft measureables.

Time to move on.

Gastineau99
    I would trade him for anything at this piont, but I think his cap number would prevent this or even cutting him. I think we are stuck with him one more year. Maybe he can play fullback on shortyardage.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan_Johnny

He is by no means to slow to play end.. He is actually fast for his position. Granted in a 4-3 system these days, guys like John Abraham, Julies Peppers, are as fast as running backs... But DE is different in the 3-4. You need size, and some quickness. DE in the 3-4 is more of a DT playing the edge at times.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99
    I would trade him for anything at this piont, but I think his cap number would prevent this or even cutting him. I think we are stuck with him one more year. Maybe he can play fullback on shortyardage.

I dont think we can, with his cap number.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I'd support an experiment at DE especially given Kimo's age. I do think DRob would have problems against good OTs but he is big and strong for DE in a 3-4. His speed is also good but not ideal. He wouldn't be the best 3-4 DE but he wouldn't be the worst either! Putting him a DE also might minimize the double-teams he sees.

Lets face it, Moore is the best NT on the roster. Ellis is going to be the other DE regardless of how good or bad he plays--and he has been in affective thus far. The other DE wil be Kimo Von Oelhoffen--regardless of how good or bad he plays. The other back-up players are somewhat interesting, especially Dave Ball and C.J. Mosely. I think both could be very effective DE's.

Now the question is what to do with D-rob:

1. We can't trade him due to the huge cap hit we would take. This is true for one reason. The main reason we couldn't do this is because of the insentives in Chad's contract. This is good news but it does put a squeeze on our otherwise spacious cap scenerio. If we had the cap room, I truly think that we would be shopping D-rob for another 2nd rnd pick. That being said, I don't think that he will ne traded for atleast two more years.

2. Since he will be on the roster, can he play DE? It is obvious that he is not an effective NT. So can he play DE? I think that he is too short to play DE and he would once again have to lose some weight to try to increase his speed and burst.

3. We could simply employ more 4-3 schemes and only use him in his more natural position of the "under tackle". He might be more affective, but we might be more predictable with him being on the field.