Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does everyone see it now?

Banned

Does everyone see it now?

Does everyone see what a well coached team looks like?

Its not all about the W's and L's ... its about the X's and O's as well ... its about your level of conditioning too ... there's a difference between sqeaking out enough wins to make the playoffs with a talented team, and outstanding preparation, game planning, agressively attacking, utilizing the no huddle, using various schemes to confuse the opposition, outstanding clock management, and just looking like a WELL COACHED TEAM {Overall} on Gameday

I said it last week and I'll say it again ... this team might be lacking the horses to be a playoff team THIS YEAR, that may or may not be the case, remains to be seen, but this team is about as well coached as any team in the league

There are more accomplished HC's to be sure, so you have to give them the nod when ranking HC's, but I'll tell you what ... Get used to the idea of this HC {Eric Mangini, AKA: The Penguin} holding his own with the elite HC's and out-coaching the opposing HC's on many occasions as well

THIS KID CAN COACH!!

You want Nick Saban, you can have him ... let the experts tout Saban as "THE NEXT ONE" till the cows come home ... no sweat off my back ... but I wouldn't trade our Wonderboy for Nick Saban if you put a loaded pistol to my head

I'm loving what I'm seeing from this neophyte HC ... LOVING IT ... and that's why I really didn't snap after last weeks loss to a far more ready-made team in the Patriots, because I love what I'm seeing from this neophyte HC and I see this organization building something special in the near future ... for the first time in a long time, since Bill Parcells, I actually believe we have an HC you can WIN SUPERBOWLS WITH once he acquires the horses he needs to field an elite team and fully implements his program

I am thrilled about a lot of things today, I'm always happy when we win, but I'm never irrational when it comes to evaluating Jets HC's ... if anything I trend towards being critical to a fault ... decades of lousy coaching {Parcells excluded} will do that too you ... but make no mistake about it, I am not prone to wearing rose colored glasses when it comes to the Jets HC, if anything I am prone to the opposite ... and this is not about my excitement over todays win, that has nothing to do with it, I felt the same way last week coming off a loss, AND I SAID SO ... I am simply impressed, HIGHLY IMPRESSED, with all of the things I have seen thus far {since mini camps} that represents a WELL COACHED FOOTBALL TEAM

There might be a "NEXT ONE" in the league right now, but its not Nick Saban ...

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but it might be that neophyte HC we call THE PENGUIN

PS. VERY IMPRESSED with Brian Shottenheimer too .. Just wanted to toss that in there as well .. this offense looks creative, imaginative, confusing, and agressive .. and that WITHOUT A RUNNING GAME to speak of .. I'd love to see what this guy can do if we ever give him a feature RB to boot ... and WE WILL .. at some point WE WILL .. then watch this team really take off in a big way ... I can see all the signs with Mangini and Shot, these young men are 4 REAL
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 09-24-2006 at 06:55 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It's only 3 weeks but I do see some positive signs about the way this Jets team prepares and plays. Coaching has been excellent. It's still a long way to go but so far so good.

Big test is the next few weeks.

Banned
    Excellent post Hammer.

The play calling today was very good. Especially on the drive at the end of the first half and the one that put it away in the fourth.

I was also impressed at how the o-line blew the Bills off the line on Barlow's and Houston's TD runs. Those two have got to be big confidence boosters for this young o-line.

Hall Of Fame
    Great post, Ham.

The thing is, the local and national media proclaimed that the Jets would suck this year.

The coaching staff and the players didn't get that memo.

Banned
    I'm quite pleased with Mangini, but I'm not ready to put him on a pedestal just yet. Yes, he's taken care of biz against hapless Titan and overconfident Bills teams. But he looked subpar at times against the Patriots; we gave him a free pass but going for it on 4th down on the 50 was a mistake that he was tricked into by Belichick.

Let's go surprise Dungy or Del Rio and then I'll consider getting a Mangini poster for my great room.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    My dear penguins, we stand upon a great threshold! It's alright to be scared; most of you won't be coming back. But, thanks to Batman, the time has come to punish ALL of God's children! 1st, 2nd, 3rd AND 4th-born! Why be biased? Male and female! Hell, the sexes are equal with their erogenous zones BLOWN SKY HIGH! FORWARD MARCH! THE LIBERATION OF GOTHAM HAS BEGUN!

Practice Squad
    Surprising Dungy shouldn't be hard, even Herm did that. Peyton Manning coaches that team anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Most of the experts & a lot of posters here had us lucky to 3-4 games this year ,we`ll were already half way there (I personally had us at 8-9 wins if we can at least split the next 2 games we`ve got a shot at the playoffs I think ,Go mangini & the JETS !!!

Hall Of Fame
    Hammer, not bad for a coffee boy

All League
    You put it very well Ham. The difference is like night and day as far as the way we are going about our business since the Herminator.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YJF

It's only 3 weeks but I do see some positive signs about the way this Jets team prepares and plays. Coaching has been excellent. It's still a long way to go but so far so good.

Big test is the next few weeks.
    See I don't really view these games as a test because these are elite teams with elite personnel ... SB caliber teams ... they're supposed to beat a Jets team that is really in the beginning stages of building a program

Too me it would be an upset if the Jets beat Indy or Jacksonville ... HUGE UPSET ... not only in terms of the obvious, the big spreads, but it terms of the reason for those big spreads to begin with ... these are SB caliber teams and we're, well, not ... NOT YET ... but under this HC I can definitely see that day coming, and I haven't seen that since the tuna was roaming the Jets sidelines

In short, if I had to list POSITIVES and NEGATIVES, You can rest assured our HC and CS as a whole would be listed in the POSITIVE SECTION ... and that's a huge positive in an HC driven league
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 09-24-2006 at 07:06 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound

Hammer, not bad for a coffee boy
    INDEED

Surely you must know I've never been so happy to be wrong

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    I'm quite pleased with Mangini, but I'm not ready to put him on a pedestal just yet. Yes, he's taken care of biz against hapless Titan and overconfident Bills teams. But he looked subpar at times against the Patriots; we gave him a free pass but going for it on 4th down on the 50 was a mistake that he was tricked into by Belichick.

Let's go surprise Dungy or Del Rio and then I'll consider getting a Mangini poster for my great room.

SAR I
    I disagree with you on your criticism of the Jets 4th down call vs New England. The Jets offense wasn't tricked into anything. That was their 7th straight 4th and short. I think it was about time, They went for the yard.

At some point, You get tired of giving in. You gotta go out and try to take. The call was a smart one. The execution wasn't good.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    See I don't really view these games as a test because these are elite teams with elite personnel ... SB caliber teams ... they're supposed to beat a Jets team that is really in the beginning stages of building a program

Too me it would be an upset if the Jets beat Indy or Jacksonville ... HUGE UPSET ... not only in terms of the obvious, the big spreads, but it terms of the reason for those big spreads to begin with ... these are SB caliber teams and we're, well, not ... NOT YET ... but under this HC I can definitely see that day coming, and I haven't seen that since the tuna was roaming the Jets sidelines

In short, if I had to list POSITIVES and NEGATIVES, You can rest assured or HC and CS as a whole would be listed in the POSITIVE SECTION ... and that's a huge positive in an HC driven league
    I agree with you. I am not concerned with the big picture aspect.

I judge on a game by game basis. My focus is Indy. That's it. What we are projected to be and what they are projected to be, really doesn't mean anything to me. Everything to me is a test right now.

By the way, I've been singing Mangini's praises for a long time. He's always been a brilliant coach. He still needs to prove himself as a leader and a head coach. I am not putting him in canton by any means. BUT I believe in the formula and I believe in the systematic approach that he takes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by YJF
    I agree with you. I am not concerned with the big picture aspect.

I judge on a game by game basis. My focus is Indy. That's it. What we are projected to be and what they are projected to be, really doesn't mean anything to me. Everything to me is a test right now.

By the way, I've been singing Mangini's praises for a long time. He's always been a brilliant coach. He still needs to prove himself as a leader and a head coach. I am not putting him in canton by any means. BUT I believe in the formula and I believe in the systematic approach that he takes.
    Hey YGF...You believed in Hermie! I can't count the times you defended him! Now we have a Real HC again and you have doubts?? This year is just a preview of what the future holds! All Hail Penguini!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tedtedthefootballhead

You put it very well Ham. The difference is like night and day as far as the way we are going about our business since the Herminator.
    This is why, even on my best days in regards to Herm, the days I really felt generous with the praise, I called him a Good HC but not a SB HC ... and that's on those rare occasions when I wasn't just calling him what he is, an excellent flim-flam man and an awful HC

I never posted anything about Herm like the lofty praise I offered Mangini here

And if there was a Jets message board since Joe Walton, you would know the same is true of Walton and every Jets HC who followed him NOT named Bill Parcells

I'm really loving what I'm seeing from THE PENGUIN ... LOVING IT ... I cannot emphasize that enough

I can't even explain all of the reasons why, I'd have to write a book, so lets just say its all coaching encompasses

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I'm lovin Mangini, but he's no Greg Schiano.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan

I'm lovin Mangini, but he's no Greg Schiano.
    LOL!!

Hey, its not so funny though ... when you think about it, you can make a case that GS is the college football equivalent {for that level} of Eric Mangini

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    LOL!!

Hey, its not so funny though ... when you think about it, you can make a case that GS is the college football equivalent {for that level} of Eric Mangini
    The similarities are there.

Both took over after a considerably long run of severe underachievement.

Both are defensive minded coaches.

Both enacted a faster turn around than most expected.

Both took over what were considered "jokes" of a program by the majority of the media.

And....

Both are Italian.

What the last one has to do with anything, I honestly don't know, but it's a similarity damnit.

Practice Squad
    Great Post GJ&H....I'm feelin the love. What a pleasure to watch how this team is being coached compared to the last 4 seasons. Like everything that you had to say about this.