Thread: Cotchery/wr ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Arrow Cotchery/wr ~ ~ ~

Sept. 25, 2006
    Home > The Way We Hear It

Jets’ Cotchery credits opportunity for his emergence in offense

NY Jets

Jets WR Jerricho Cotchery has been a revelation early this season, emerging as a big-play maker and a trusted No. 2 receiver opposite Laveranues Coles. During his first two seasons, Cotchery showed flashes of potential in the preseason but saw most of his action on special teams. This season, Cotchery told PFW that he appreciates first-year offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and head coach Eric Mangini giving him an opportunity to play a regular role in the offense. “Well, I just know that we have a lot of smart guys on our staff, and these guys will do everything in their power to put all their playmakers in good position to make plays. And they’re going to use all their playmakers. I think a lot of times, what happened in the past — I don’t want to dwell on the past, but throughout the league a lot of coaches don’t even use all of their playmakers. But we do everything that we can possibly do to win a game, and we’re not going to go into a game and let a player be on the sideline — we’re going to use him for something.” Through the first three weeks, Cotchery has caught 15 passes for 219 yards and two touchdowns.

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...m?mode=afceast

All League
    Cotchery is another indictment against the previous regime. Its funny after two
    years of non use he all of a sudden becomes a "playmaker".

All Pro
    I think this is an appropriate thread for my avatar to make an appearance.

All League
    Lest we not forget:

Our QB is back. Our O-line (don't laugh) is much better than last year, and this guy, whose over 6'2" and weighs somewhere in the vicinity of 220 is a STUD.

Since his rookie year it's become apparent that not only is he a reliable #2 WR, but is more along the lines of a 1A and Coles being a 1B.

Cotch is big and really fast....but the thing that makes him such a pleasure to watch is that he'll go over the middle and destroy an LB or DB trying to kill him. He embraces contact and I think I saw him smiling this week as one of those rookie Safeties thought they were going to kill him on a catch over the middle and the guy's head nearly got removed.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL
    Cotchery is another indictment against the previous regime. Its funny after two
    years of non use he all of a sudden becomes a "playmaker".
    I remember in Cotchery's first couple of training camps Herm would rave about him and talk about how great he was. Then the regular season came and Herm would keep him buried on the bench. I am pleased that he (Herm) is now someone else's problem.

Hall Of Fame
    I am so pleased with our recieving corp. They have been the best surprise so far this season. Cotchery and Coles, Coles and Cotchery, I just like the sound of that.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I think there is also something to be said about the time and effort the new staff puts in. A guy like JC sees how hard they work and begins to trust and repect what they tell them. Herm was seen as someone who was so concerned with image and the media, I think the players see that Mangini and his staff could care less and would rather be in the film room.

Banned
    catchery!!!!

All Pro
    Did McCairens even play yesterday.

Banned
    That's a good question...on one play they went 5-wide and I think Pennington was split out...I wonder if he was ahead of JMAC in the WR depth chart on that play

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PMarsico9]Lest we not forget:

Since his rookie year it's become apparent that not only is he a reliable #2 WR, but is more along the lines of a 1A and Coles being a 1B.

QUOTE]

Look, I think we've got a player here, too. But Cotchery caught three balls yesterday, and Coles caught ten. LC is our go-to guy, a clear No. 1, and an example of Curtis Martin-level toughness and leadership by example.

He's doing a pretty good Steve Smith impersonation this season.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterLyles
    Did McCairens even play yesterday.
    I don't think so, if he did he was obviously non-existant.

I REALLY wish he would get back to his 2004 form. With Coles and Cotch playing so well, he would obviously add to the overall early success of the passing game so far this season.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9
    Lest we not forget:

Our QB is back. Our O-line (don't laugh) is much better than last year, and this guy, whose over 6'2" and weighs somewhere in the vicinity of 220 is a STUD.

Cotch is big and really fast....but the thing that makes him such a pleasure to watch is that he'll go over the middle and destroy an LB or DB trying to kill him. He embraces contact and I think I saw him smiling this week as one of those rookie Safeties thought they were going to kill him on a catch over the middle and the guy's head nearly got removed.

I love Cotch as much as anyone but he is not that fast. That was the knock on him coiming out of NCS. Look at his numbers in college.. Broke all the ACC records. The only reason he dropped was that he lacked blazing speed..

Oh, and so did Jerry Rice..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan
    I love Cotch as much as anyone but he is not that fast. That was the knock on him coiming out of NCS. Look at his numbers in college.. Broke all the ACC records. The only reason he dropped was that he lacked blazing speed..

Oh, and so did Jerry Rice..
    He was timed around 4.6+ 40' coming out of college...
    but he lost weight this year and recently has been clocking in the 4.4-4.5 range... not ultra fast, but fast enough.