Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bills Zone: Jets steal win

All League

Bills Zone: Jets steal win

Jets steal 28-20 win in Buffalo

By BillsZone.com .

Posted Sep 25, 2006

The Bills lost their home-opener and failed to build off the momentum of last week's 16-6 win at Miami. Chad Pennington capped three drives of 58 yards or more with touchdowns, and linebacker Victor Hobson's 32-yard fumble return for a score helped the Jets to a 28-20. The Bills had two fumbles, a failed fake FG, a botched bootleg on the Jets' goal line and an interception in a comedy of errors.

The Buffalo Bills started strong -- scoring on Roscoe Parrish's 51-yard touchdown reception on the second play from scrimmage -- but then progressively kept making costly errors.

"They blitzed and we hit a hot route and that's what you're supposed to do in cover zero," said Losman. "If you can make a guy miss it's a big thing. Usually there's a guy there to tackle him quick, but if you can get the ball out quick and he can make a nice little juke move and go… it was a big play."

The Bills continued their offensive success, moving to the Jets’ 37 on their second drive of the game. Lining up for a 54 yard FG attempt in swirling, gusting wind conditions the Bills attempted a fake FG. Brian Moorman’s attempt at a shovel pass failed, and the Bills turned it over to the Jets on downs.

Jets Safety Kerry Rhodes stripped JP Losman twice- the first time killing yet another drive deep into Jet territory. Late in the first quarter, the Bills moved from their own 27 to the Jets 19. On a third-and-4 play, New York sent a six-man blitz at Losman, who didn't seem to recognize the safeties cheating up toward the line. Losman held the ball too long and got hit by Rhodes, who forced a fumble that was recovered by Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma.

Rookie running back Leon Washington, seeing his first significant action on offense, jump-started the Jets with a 47-yard reception to set up Kevan Barlow's 3-yard touchdown run to tie the score with 10:17 left in the second quarter.

The big turnover came five minutes into the second half with the Bills on their own 33. The Jets then took control on the Bills' opening possession of the third quarter when Rhodes forced his second fumble as he rushed around the right corner. New York sent a six-man rush and McGahee missed his block, who blasted Losman in the back. The ball squirted onto the ground, and Jets linebacker Victor Hobson returned it 32 yards for a touchdown that put New York ahead, 21-10. The Bills failed to challenge the score despite replays showing Hobson stepped out of bounds at the Buffalo 3.

"Hey, it was just getting bigger and bigger as it was getting closer to me and I just had to pick it up and run," Hobson said. Late in the third quarter, the Bills moved smartly from their 11 to their 49, but Losman threw an interception on a deep throw into the wind for a double-covered Evans.

Losman moved the Bills from their 13 to the Jets' 1 early in the fourth quarter with some well-thrown strikes to Evans and Josh Reed. But on third-and-goal from the 1 the Bills called a play-action bootleg run for the quarterback. Jets end Bobby Hamilton, 35 and the second-oldest player in the game, wasn't fooled. He tackled Losman for a 9-yard loss.

The Bills settled for a field goal, cutting the Jets lead to 21-13 with 9 minutes remaining. The Jets responded with a nine-play, 58-yard drive capped by Cedric Houston's 5-yard touchdown scamper on his second carry of the season. The Bills made the game interesting in the final 3 minutes. Follwing Houston’s score, Losman engineered a 10-play 77 yard drive capped by a 4th down TD scramble. Losman dove across the goal line with 1:12 remaining to pull the Bills to within 28-20.

After replay upheld the score, the Bills’ Andre Davis managed to recover the onside kick. But as good Losman looked on the previous drive, the momentum was slammed to a sudden stop with 4 straight incompletions- with some poorly thrown balls.

The Jets (2-1) won despite allowing 475 yards of offense, while managing a mere 256 of their own, including a meager 74 yards rushing. They overcame career outings by running back Willis McGahee, who had 150 yards rushing, and J.P. Losman's 328 yards passing. It was the first time in NFL history that a team was able to win on the road against a club that featured a 150 yard rushing performance by a running back and a 300 yard passing performance by a quarterback in the same game.
    Link

I love this tactic. It's directed at people who did not watch all of the game.

I'm sorry, but you can't give me *steal* or *fluke win* when the Jets are up 15 points with under 4 minutes to go in the game. The Bills made a run, and the Jets stopped them with the Hamilton play to force a FG, then went right down the field for a TD.

Rookie
    The weather up there seems to have already frozen their brains. The JETS won and won hands down...end of story.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Yeah, we totally "stole" that game.

Bottom line, we made less mistakes then we did, and we forced more turnovers.

That's called winning, not stealing.

Banned
    Once we took the lead before halftime I felt completely at ease.

I knew we could count on Losman to make a boneheaded mistake that would lead to us putting the game way. And gues what? He made three!!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    And Buffalo stole a win in Miami

lol

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Turnovers:

Jets - 0

Bills - 3

2 of them were 100% forced by us.

That's what's called "beating" the other team.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Is it just me, or does that recap provide a fairly accurate summary of yesterday's game?

I don't see "fluke" or "stole" anywhere there.

Bottom line, we capitalized on their mistakes (fumbles, INT) and made big plays when we needed too (stopped bootleg, rushing TDs).

That's what i got out of that recap.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    Is it just me, or does that recap provide a fairly accurate summary of yesterday's game?
    I missed the game, sounds like Jets got lucky.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino

I don't see "fluke" or "stole" anywhere there.

Bottom line, we capitalized on their mistakes (fumbles, INT) and made big plays when we needed too (stopped bootleg, rushing TDs).

That's what i got out of that recap.
    It's the wording in the title. People are being anal, but rightfully so. There's not too many who expected us to be 2-1, so everyone is pulling a Fredo and clamoring for respect.

I guess it's what comes with being a Jet fan. We never beat someone or exceed expectations, it's always the other team who let us win.

If the Dolphins had beaten Buffalo that way, it would have read, "Fins live up to hype and win stunner in Buffalo." Or something like that.

Hall Of Fame
    The goat of the game for Buffalo is McGahee or whoever was trying to block Rhodes on those two plays. Rhodes did not come free on either of those two big sacks/fumbles, the back just did an Ole!!! and let him run right by him.

Rookie
    Who stole my beer when I went to take a pee ? that's what I want to know.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    We all know it was their retro helmets.

The Bison is just standing there, doing nothing. Versus the "modern" one of him charging!

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie the wiz
    Who stole my beer when I went to take a pee ? that's what I want to know.
    LOL...classic

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod
    Once we took the lead before halftime I felt completely at ease.

I knew we could count on Losman to make a boneheaded mistake that would lead to us putting the game way. And gues what? He made three!!!!
    I had a nice amount of money on the game and said the same thing. We got outplayed, but we're up at the half. Teams that do that don't go on to lose the game...

Bottom-line for me, there's a bit of truth to what was said, but we forced miskates and made more big plays giving us the win. We were dominated in every aspect besides turnovers and red zone efficiency. Which happen to be the two most important categories...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2
    i didnt miss your game last night and i'll tell you this Denver, didn't get lucky...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    It's the wording in the title. People are being anal, but rightfully so. There's not too many who expected us to be 2-1, so everyone is pulling a Fredo and clamoring for respect.

I guess it's what comes with being a Jet fan. We never beat someone or exceed expectations, it's always the other team who let us win.

If the Dolphins had beaten Buffalo that way, it would have read, "Fins live up to hype and win stunner in Buffalo." Or something like that.
    I missed the title. The vibe of the title does not really jive with the article though. Not surprising as its usually editors that come up with the title, not the authors. The article, though, is spot on.

Isn't "Pulling a Fredo" gettin' 2 girls?

Hall Of Fame
    We did steal a win. Id you see that they had a 150 yard rusher. a plus 300 yrd passer. When we didnt come close to those numbers ourselves.. Thats crazy... Until you see the turnover battle difference, then it makes more sense.

Veteran
    There's a hint of truth in this - you can tell just by looking at how defensive people are getting about it.

Bottom line is, 99/100 times we lose that game yesterday... easily. You can talk about hustle and forcing turnovers all you want, but you can't consistently rely on TO's to win games for you... not when you can't run, can't stop the run, and really can't stop the pass either.

I'm not saying we're worse than the Bills, that we didn't deserve a win yesterday, blah blah blah. I'm just saying the Bills were the better team yesterday, but we still won. There's some luck there (as there is in most things).

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2
    I suppose the Broncos got lucky too.