Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Players see the wisdom of the Penguin

Banned

Players see the wisdom of the Penguin

Jets are prepared for success

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

Wearing a Ronnie Lott Jets throwback No. 42 jersey with a matching kelly green pinstriped Yankees cap tilted to the side, tight end Chris Baker made his way out of the Jets' locker room yesterday and into the rich mid-afternoon sunlight

It was a spectacular autumn day.

But Baker, who caught his second touchdown pass of the young season in the Jets' 28-20 victory on Sunday at Buffalo, wasn't headed to Manhattan to celebrate. He was headed home to study the game tape of the Colts-Jaguars and the early scouting report on the Colts that he had under his arms, along with the football he caught for the touchdown against the Bills.

The Jets (2-1), who are tied with the Patriots for first-place in the AFC East, will play host to the undefeated Colts (3-0) on Sunday at Giants Stadium.

"It's a little more on the players to be prepared now," Baker said when asked to explain the Jets' surprising start. "I'm going home now to start studying. After we have our (Monday) afternoon meetings and talk to you guys (the media), the last game is history. It's on to the next opponent."

Therein lies one of the keys to the Jets' early success under rookie coach Eric Mangini. His mentor, the Patriots' Bill Belichick, is regarded as the best coach in the NFL at preparing for the next opponent and Mangini is proving to be a quick study.

Through three games, several players said yesterday that nearly everything Mangini has told them has rung true regarding preparation for the upcoming opponent and they're more willing than ever to follow his lead.

Tough practices, attention to detail and sound game plans, they said, are the reasons why the Jets are winning.

The Jets have already won two road games after going winless away from home last season.

"We practice hard and it's carrying over on Sundays," Jets wide receiver Justin McCareins said.

"I'll bet if you ask a lot of guys who have been playing in the league with different coaches, this is one of the most detail-oriented teams in the league.

"It's not only on the field, it's in the classroom, too. Guys are working for each other, guys are doing a little extra on the field and in the classroom, guys are executing on Sunday what we work on during the week."

Mangini's game plans, the players said, have been right on point. Opponents may have surprised the Jets with a new wrinkle or two, but the players have discovered that if they do what Mangini asks of them, they'll have a chance to win.

"Everybody knows the game plan for both the offense and defense," guard Brandon Moore said. "Eric stresses that these are the points that are going to win the game. Like (the Patriots game), it showed up on film that we didn't follow the game plan and that's why we lost.

"Guys are buying into that if Eric says this is what it's going to take to win, we have to do it. We saw it against Buffalo and we saw it against Tennessee. We executed the game plan and we won."

The players' hard work and execution have been appreciated and applauded by Mangini, even if the Jets still have their share of problems.

Against the Bills, the Jets rushed for only 74 yards (but had two rushing short-yardage touchdowns), and they committed eight penalties. On the upside, they were 3-for-3 in the red zone and had no turnovers.

Overall, the Jets have a plus-five takeaway/giveaway ratio this season.

"I'm really happy with the way these guys have worked," Mangini said. "And I'm happy with the way that in each of the different situations, they've finished (the game). ... Now consistency is important."

Suddenly, the Jets appear to have a real shot to compete for the AFC East title. The Patriots (2-1) clearly miss wide receivers Deion Branch and David Givens and are struggling. The Dolphins (1-2) aren't as good as everyone expected. And the Bills (1-2), much like the Jets, are a wild card. Both teams are young, hungry teams.

"It's so early," Baker said. "We're not even thinking about (being tied for first place). What we want is to have a share of first place at the end of the year."
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 09-26-2006 at 08:25 AM.

All Pro
    Great read!

Hall Of Fame
    Ham, I'm surprised you are so quick to fall in love with this guy. I'm happy thus far, PLEASANTLY SURPRISED, but I want to wait until the end of the year before I decide to sing his praises.

It appears to me that you're about a half step from shining the guys a$$

I'm just trying to save you from a potentially lethal fall. You've got to remember, he's a 30 something. He's going to make some type of stupid mistake, I guarantee it. It will probably cost us a big game. I do not believe Mangini is going to just hit the ground running JUST LIKE BB would. There will be some growing pains. We just haven't seen them yet.

After all, I'M a 30 something and I'm talking from personal experience

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet

Ham, I'm surprised you are so quick to fall in love with this guy. I'm happy thus far, PLEASANTLY SURPRISED, but I want to wait until the end of the year before I decide to sing his praises.

I'm just trying to save you from a potentially lethal fall. You've got to remember, he's a 30 something. He's going to make some type of stupid mistake, I guarantee it. It will probably cost us a big game. I do not believe Mangini is going to just hit the ground running JUST LIKE BB would. There will be some growing pains. We just haven't seen them yet.

Hey I didn't say a word ... not one word of that is mine ... I just posted a column, the players are quoted, not me

I can't help it if the players are validating what I claim to see as well

But I'll be honest, not one word of this column surprises me .. based on what I've seen, I couldn't be less surprised
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 09-26-2006 at 08:35 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Wow, how fast the media is changing their tunes.

Mangini has brought leadership to the team. These guys make a ton of money, it's about time the work for it. I also like the fact that there are no prima donnas on the team. What Mangini says goes.

Banned

BTW, I have to be honest Maine ... YOU GOT ME ... I am definitely in awe of the Penguin

Hall Of Fame

All true Maine but you have to love that the players are even discussing the fact that there is a game plan and they have it on Monday and are studying it on their day off.

Banned
    BTW, does anyone see the irony of this column?

Contrast this column, these player quotes, with the BIG NEWS eminating from the other side of town this week ...

"OUT-COACHED"

That's the BIG NEWS in NY this week ... OUT-COACHED ... and it wasn't long ago, four games ago to be exact {Giants Vs Panthers} when Tiki Barber was tossing the exact same insult at the Giants HC

Now contrast that with this column, the quotes from JET PLAYERS in regards to their HC ... nite & day

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Is it me, or does it appear that the best stories we get in the papers about the Jets are coming from the Jersey beat writers? Seriously, Lange and Hutch, in my eyes, are the two best Jets reporters.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I always said that the press got it wrong about Hermie.They said he could "Motivate" and I said it was a typo.It should have been "Marinate" because with the Flim Flam Man it was always about the BBQ!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Hey I didn't say a word ... not one word of that is mine ... I just posted a column, the players are quoted, not me

I can't help it if the players are validating what I claim to see as well

But I'll be honest, not one word of this column surprises me .. based on what I've seen, I couldn't be less surprised
    You know what has me most excited so far this season? The thought of what this team may look like, 2 - 3 years down the road, if the team is able to get more players that fit the schemes the coaching staff is trying to implement. Although I am excited by the way they are playing, I'm not expecting the Jets in the Super Bowl THIS YEAR. However, with some shrewd drafting and free agency moves, I think its very realistic in a year or two.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by savage69
    I always said that the press got it wrong about Hermie.They said he could "Motivate" and I said it was a typo.It should have been "Marinate" because with the Flim Flam Man it was always about the BBQ!!
    Jon, I love your penquin
    Last edited by jetgirl; 09-26-2006 at 10:20 AM.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by maury420
    You know what has me most excited so far this season? The thought of what this team may look like, 2 - 3 years down the road, if the team is able to get more players that fit the schemes the coaching staff is trying to implement. Although I am excited by the way they are playing, I'm not expecting the Jets in the Super Bowl THIS YEAR. However, with some shrewd drafting and free agency moves, I think its very realistic in a year or two.

I agree....I have never been this excited about a NY Jet coaching staff and I have been a Jet fan my whole life! The future is broghter than it has ever been before.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... You've got to remember, he's a 30 something. He's going to make some type of stupid mistake, I guarantee it. It will probably cost us a big game. I do not believe Mangini is going to just hit the ground running JUST LIKE BB would.
    ... curious if with 2&1/2 minutes left and being down 10 in fg range going for it on 4th down instead of attempting the fg would constitute such a mistake? ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    BTW, I have to be honest Maine ... YOU GOT ME ... I am definitely in awe of the Penguin

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetgirl
    Jon, I love your penquin
    I wish more women would say that to me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetgirl

Jon, I love your penquin
    Ditto JG, savages Penguin is hilarious

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs
    All true Maine but you have to love that the players are even discussing the fact that there is a game plan and they have it on Monday and are studying it on their day off.
    AGREED

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

actually if you remember BB did fail in Cleveland...but he had an intact team and broke it apart. Mangini's team is his own and is starting from scratch

If we beat the Colts, I'll say Mangini is one helluva coach.

The teams we've beaten so far are, ..., beatable.