Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: FB Hodgins, 2 young LBS, signed

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,409

    FB Hodgins, 2 young LBs, signed

    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/574

    The New York Jets announced Tuesday they have signed fullback James Hodgins and linebackers Cody Spencer and Ryan Riddle. The Jets also announced they have waived linebacker/defensive end Trevor Johnson, offensive lineman Norm Katnik and linebacker Ryan Myers. The announcements were made by Jetsí General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.
    Hodgins, 6-1, 275, is a former undrafted free agent of the St. Louis Rams. In his eight seasons with St. Louis and the Arizona Cardinals, the San Jose State University product has appeared in 72 NFL games and has made 28 starts.
    Spencer, 6-2, 245, was originally a sixth-round selection of the Oakland Raiders. Last season, the North Texas State University product, led the Tennessee Titans in special teams tackles with 21. Entering his third NFL season, Spencer has appeared in 23 NFL games.
    Riddle, 6-2, 260, was a sixth-round selection in the 2005 NFL draft by the Oakland Raiders. Entering his second NFL season, the Los Angeles native saw time at both linebacker and on special teams.
    Johnson, a former 2004 Jetsí seventh-round draft choice, has appeared in 25 games in his three NFL seasons. This season, the former University of Nebraska Cornhusker was inactive for the seasonís first three games.
    Katnik was originally signed as a rookie free agent by the San Francisco 49ers. He was signed by the Jets as a free agent on November 21, 2005. In two seasons with the Jets, the University of Southern California product has played in four games, making two starts.
    Myers came to the Jetsí after spending the 2003 training camp with the Cleveland Browns. In his two seasons with the Jets, the University of Akron product has contributed primarily on special teams registering 17 tackles.
    Last edited by mrcoops; 09-27-2006 at 01:04 PM.

  2. #2
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    really liked Riddle coming out of school (cal)

    interesting 3-4 Pass rush project

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,409
    I like the sound of Riddle too. Ran a 4.66 (wind assisted) before he was drafted, and is the kind of smart, versatile guy that has worked well for the Pats 3-4 scheme in the past.

    Hodgins, if healthy, can be a beast of a blocker at 275lbs.
    Last edited by mrcoops; 09-27-2006 at 01:16 PM.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,096
    Clearly, Mangini was keeping an extra O-lineman on the roster than normal number b/c Teague was unable to go for a few weeks. The fact that no OL was signed leads me to believe Teague is ready.

    As for the signings, looks like we are tryuing to see what else s out there. I agree that Riddle seems intriguing.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Posts
    2,555
    I really don't like the fact that the only depth we have on the OL right now is Teague and Jones. This is VERY thin.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,409
    Quote Originally Posted by scott dierking II
    I really don't like the fact that the only depth we have on the OL right now is Teague and Jones. This is VERY thin.
    Plus Wade Smith, who can play C, G, or T.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,031
    Are both of those backers outside LB's?

    I like Manginis style (learned from the Pats I would take it) to always try to keep improving the bottom part of your roster, the simple moves you make in upgrading depth now can really pay off down the line.

    Feel kind of bad for Johnson though.

  8. #8
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,924
    Quote Originally Posted by scott dierking II
    I really don't like the fact that the only depth we have on the OL right now is Teague and Jones. This is VERY thin.
    Not really when you consider the versatility of these guys. We're only in deep trouble if more than 2 guys can't play. Teague, Jones, and Kendall all play multiple spots.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    Are both of those backers outside LB's?

    I like Manginis style (learned from the Pats I would take it) to always try to keep improving the bottom part of your roster, the simple moves you make in upgrading depth now can really pay off down the line.

    Feel kind of bad for Johnson though.
    Riddle is a DE-OLB type, Spencer is an ILB.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,031
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops
    Riddle is a DE-OLB type, Spencer is an ILB.
    Guess Spencer replaces Myers.....where exactly is Schlegel on the depth chart these days? If Spencer comes in and immediately grabs a roster spot and Schlegel is innactive again.....

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jackson Heights
    Posts
    2,367
    The release of Myers and Schlegel winning practice player of the week seems to be a telling sign that he will be active this week.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,856

    Hodgins

    I think having a battering ram with Hands like Hodgins could be a huge pickup. I would love to see more of Houston this week running behind Hodgins and even maybe BJ Askew back there as well. The best way to beat the Colts is to smack them in the face on D and then run the ball down their throat and eat clock to keep Manning off the field.

    Hopefully, having a dependable, experienced lead blocker will accomplish that.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    Guess Spencer replaces Myers.....where exactly is Schlegel on the depth chart these days? If Spencer comes in and immediately grabs a roster spot and Schlegel is innactive again.....
    It could be that Schlegal moves up a spot on the depth chart and Spencer fills that last spot.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Posts
    2,555
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops
    Plus Wade Smith, who can play C, G, or T.
    I did forget about Smith.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,031
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterLyles
    It could be that Schlegal moves up a spot on the depth chart and Spencer fills that last spot.
    Hope so, I want to see him in action even if it is just on ST.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    I like Manginis style (learned from the Pats I would take it) to always try to keep improving the bottom part of your roster, the simple moves you make in upgrading depth now can really pay off down the line.
    Parcells and Bradway both did that too

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,538
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/574

    The New York Jets announced Tuesday they have signed fullback James Hodgins and linebackers Cody Spencer and Ryan Riddle. The Jets also announced they have waived linebacker/defensive end Trevor Johnson, offensive lineman Norm Katnik and linebacker Ryan Myers. The announcements were made by Jetsí General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.
    Hodgins, 6-1, 275, is a former undrafted free agent of the St. Louis Rams. In his eight seasons with St. Louis and the Arizona Cardinals, the San Jose State University product has appeared in 72 NFL games and has made 28 starts.
    Spencer, 6-2, 245, was originally a sixth-round selection of the Oakland Raiders. Last season, the North Texas State University product, led the Tennessee Titans in special teams tackles with 21. Entering his third NFL season, Spencer has appeared in 23 NFL games.
    Riddle, 6-2, 260, was a sixth-round selection in the 2005 NFL draft by the Oakland Raiders. Entering his second NFL season, the Los Angeles native saw time at both linebacker and on special teams.
    Johnson, a former 2004 Jetsí seventh-round draft choice, has appeared in 25 games in his three NFL seasons. This season, the former University of Nebraska Cornhusker was inactive for the seasonís first three games.
    Katnik was originally signed as a rookie free agent by the San Francisco 49ers. He was signed by the Jets as a free agent on November 21, 2005. In two seasons with the Jets, the University of Southern California product has played in four games, making two starts.
    Myers came to the Jetsí after spending the 2003 training camp with the Cleveland Browns. In his two seasons with the Jets, the University of Akron product has contributed primarily on special teams registering 17 tackles.
    Now we know who Jamar Martin's replacement is. 6'1 @ 275lbs, dude is a truck.

  18. #18
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    504
    Found this initial assessment of Riddle on KFFL history:

    Raiders | Riddle to Supply Pass Rush - from www.KFFL.com
    Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:13:08 -0700

    Tressa Horton, of Raiders.com, reports Oakland Raiders head coach Norv Turner believes rookie DL Ryan Riddle, the team's sixth-round draft choice, can eventually develop into a solid pass rusher. "He's a guy that has a good mix; he's an athletic guy," said Turner. "He's the type of guy that could give some pressure off the edge."

    He was active the first 9 games of last season, then inactive for most of the rest of the season last year.


    Found this information in KFFL history on Spencer:

    Titans | Spencer Undergoes Surgery - from www.KFFL.com
    Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:58:53 -0800

    TitansOnline.com reports that Tennessee Titans LB Cody Spencer (abdomen) has undergone minor abdominal surgery to repair an athletic hernia. He is expected to need six weeks of recovery time, according to head coach Jeff Fisher.

    He had groin issues, concussions also in '05 - he was released 9/2/06 and didn't play in the final preseason games due to abdomen/groin injury. I hope he is doing better now!

    He didn't make the Oakland final roster and was picked up by the Titans to their practice squad two days later. He was promoted to the full Roster one month later, but was inactive most of his first year due to the abdomen issue.

    I expected some Practice Squad signings, but I do believe in the FO these days!!!

    Go JETS!

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    17,784
    It should be noted that Riddle played under Rex Ryan, the Raiders former DC who also coached with Mangini in New England, so he would be coming into a system he is familiar.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsec333
    The release of Myers and Schlegel winning practice player of the week seems to be a telling sign that he will be active this week.
    I was thinking the same thing.

    Seems to be a predictable trend now that the practice player of the week see's playing time that following Sunday.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us