Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our FB woes may be over

All Pro

Our FB woes may be over

http://sports.aol.com/nfl/story/_a/j...990001?cid=706

Jets Sign Veteran Fullback Hodgins
    AP
    HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (Sept. 27) - The New York Jets signed veteran fullback James Hodgins on Wednesday, as well as linebackers Cody Spencer and Ryan Riddle.

The team also waived linebacker/defensive end Trevor Johnson, linebacker Ryan Myers and offensive lineman Norm Katnik.

Hodgins, released by Arizona on Sept. 2 after three seasons with the Cardinals , spent his first four NFL seasons with St. Louis. Primarily used as a blocking back and on special teams during his career, Hodgins has 31 career yards rushing and a touchdown, and 35 catches for 169 yards receiving and three scores.

Spencer, entering his third season, was a sixth-round pick by Oakland in 2004 out of North Texas State and has played in 23 NFL games. He led Tennessee with 21 special-teams tackles last season.

Riddle, a sixth-round pick of Oakland last year, had seven tackles in 12 games with the Raiders , mostly on special teams.

Johnson appeared in 25 games with the Jets since being drafted in the seventh round in 2004, but was inactive for New York 's first three games.

Katnik played in four games since signing with the Jets as a free agent last year, and started the last two at left guard in place of the injured Pete Kendall.

Myers was mainly a special-teams player with New York, registering 17 tackles in two seasons.

All Pro
    Wow , why did they waive Trevor Johnson? Kassells hasn't done nothing this year. As for the new LB , well it can't get any worse then Askew.

Veteran
    I hope cutting Katnik means Kendell will be back soon.

All Pro
    I know Hodgkins was a devastating blocker that led to many yards for Faulk.........

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade
    I know Hodgkins was a devastating blocker that led to many yards for Faulk.........
    At 6'1" @ 275 lbs Hodgkins is a friggin' truck!!! He should be a hell of a lead blocker.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 09-27-2006 at 04:09 PM.

I never understood why Meyers was on the team in the first place. He wasn't very good all preseason.

All League
    Myers was better than Schlegel, which is why he started the season. Hodgins will get a shot to take the role the Jets had envisioned Jamar Martin taking.

Veteran
    Why is BJ Askew still on the team, he's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by JETSRULE05
    Myers was better than Schlegel, which is why he started the season. Hodgins will get a shot to take the role the Jets had envisioned Jamar Martin taking.
    Huh, he didn't start anything. And he was on ST's just like Schlegel.

Veteran
    I'm not really sure a guy with 31 career rushing yards is the answer to curing our fullback woes...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JetHeel23
    I'm not really sure a guy with 31 career rushing yards is the answer to curing our fullback woes...
    I'll tell you why he is, we're not looking for a FB that runs with the ball or catches out of the backfield, we want a big blocker who can open up holes in the running game.

Hodgins is one of the better blocking FB's in the league, I honestly don't know why he wasn't picked up sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by JetHeel23
    B/c he's not there to run w/ the ball

Undrafted Free Agent
    i think that hodgins will be awesome as a FB.. who cares if he doesnt catch the ball or run that much... it doesnt matter... all he needs to do is open holes for our runnin game to pick up (which watchin the first 2 games, i missed the third.. a lot of time it looked like the backs could break some run if they got one more block, plus askew n martin dont look very good, the look more clueless then nething else).. if he does that.. our passing game will get better because teams know we cant run right now..

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40
    Wow , why did they waive Trevor Johnson? Kassells hasn't done nothing this year. As for the new LB , well it can't get any worse then Askew.
    Probably the continued exodus of Herm-era players. Askew will be gone soon enough I'm sure...we just need to be able to replace him.

Undrafted Free Agent
    275 lbs?

Give this guy a couple extra donuts each morning and he can fill Katniks spot too.

All Pro
    I guess A-rod's noose can be put away now that Katnick's gone.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmets
    Why is BJ Askew still on the team, he's awful.

YEP!!

What is it that he does? he can't run, can't block and can't catch..

go figure!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan
    YEP!!

go figure!!
    He's actually impressed me catching the ball in the few opportunities he's had, preseason and regular season. I think he's had at least one catch nullified by a penalty. Also very good on ST's...

Not to say that he's having a great year or that he's the definitive answer at FB, just that he has not been that bad this year IMO.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan
    YEP!!

go figure!!
    Errr who have you been watching, Askew can both run and catch pretty well he just can't block well enough for a FB.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40
    Kassell is an ILB, Johnson was trying to be an OLB