Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LOL @ John Abraham

LOL @ John Abraham

"Down in Atlanta, it looks as if defensive end John Abraham's groin is taking a while to heal. Abraham did not practice again Wednesday and is listed as questionable for Sunday's game against the Arizona Cardinals. Abraham also was listed as questionable for Monday night's game versus the Saints, and the defensive end never even made the trip to New Orleans.

One NFL general manager said there never have been doubts about Abraham's abilities; those are immense. The questions are about his durability. In three of his first six seasons with the New York Jets, Abraham failed to play in all 16 games. Already this season, Abraham has missed two more.

Without Abraham, the Falcons defense is missing its biggest disrupting force and the most intimidating presence along the defensive line."

nfl.com article

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Put this in the category of, "Stop me if you've heard this before but...."

Veteran
    Mangold is looking better and better every day.
    Don't forget that Abraham is a gutless me-first puke.
    Loved watching him play - but never watched.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    You mean Johnny Abe isn't in a rush to come back from an injury? Get out of town!

All Pro
    You know he is really being selfless because he relies on his explosiveness and when he isn't at 100% he can't help the team (or so I have learned on this board). And to think, before I was taught about this unique eplosiveness issue I used to think he was a lazy, selfish guy. Live and learn.

Banned
    Is anyone here actually surprised by this? The guy couldn't be motivated to play in the playoffs in '04 due to a minor injury.

It is so clear that the Jets did not want to sign him to a long-term deal because they were afraid that once he got his money any motivation to perform would disappear.

The sad thing is, if Abe could keep himself healthy, could you imagine how big a superstar he would be in this league?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod
    Is anyone here actually surprised by this? The guy couldn't be motivated to play in the playoffs in '04 due to a minor injury.

It is so clear that the Jets did not want to sign him to a long-term deal because they were afraid that once he got his money any motivation to perform would disappear.

The sad thing is, if Abe could keep himself healthy, could you imagine how big a superstar he would be in this league?
    He has one of the highest sack to games started ratio IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME. That's what made it all the more maddening.

Or maybe it was just among active players, I forget the precise stat. But you get the idea.
    Last edited by RIJetFan; 09-28-2006 at 02:40 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend

He's becoming the defensive equivalent of f Johnny Mitchell.

Veteran

You're absolutely right, he'd be a superstar. The guy's good for like a turnover per game, easily. Every game he does something to change the outcome. He's a beast.

I AM surprised by this particular injury though - I didn't think he would get hurt this soon. I mean, hes always been good at getting injured... but now its becoming a honed skill.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan
    He has one of the highest sack to games started ratio IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME. That's what made it all the more maddening.
    Exactly. If the guy played every week he would be widely recognized as the best DE in the game! He possibly would have been named DPOY at least once by now and would have signed to a long-term deal by the Jets a couple of years ago.

Banned

I bet you Atlanta is surprised...

Exactly. If the guy played every week he would be widely recognized as the best DE in the game! He possibly would have been named DPOY at least once by now and would have signed to a long-term deal by the Jets a couple of years ago.
    exactly.

but

MANGOLD > ABE

sorry

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by nybaseball5
    exactly.

but

MANGOLD > ABE

sorry
    Agreed.

It is really nice to see the Jets looking like they are finally on the winning side of transactions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nybaseball5
    exactly.

but

MANGOLD > ABE

sorry
    Nothing to be sorry about. I'm thrilled we got Mangold instead of Abe.

All League
    how about that time he took himself out of a game b/c he was dehydrated.......

what a pu$$ he was!

All Pro
    It's no secret that ABE. wasn't going to play every game. Thats why the jets traded him and didnt pay him what he wanted.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... getting rid of abe was the best thing for our team to do ... however ...

... he was the best player on the fied week 1 - falc's vs. panthers ... by far ... unbelievably disruptive ...

... when on the field you are hard pressed to find a better player ... the rest of the atlanta front 7 and abe has the ability to be 2 super units ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC
    It's no secret that ABE. wasn't going to play every game. Thats why the jets traded him and didnt pay him what he wanted.
    Scary thing is he played in 10 more Games then Chad did since Chad became a starter!

All League
    I don't take particular pleasure in Abe's continued injury problems. The bottom line, though, is he is not worth the money it would have taken to keep him here, assuming he wanted to stay (which he didn't). And Mangold is certainly a keeper.