Thread: Katnik back with the Jets

Rookie

Katnik back with the Jets

For all you Norm Katnik fans out there, the offensive lineman is back with the Jets two days after they waived him. The Jets re-signed Katnik to the practice squad today after he started the last two games in place of veteran left guard Pete Kendall and played essentially three quarters of the season-opener at Tennessee after Kendall injured his hamstring.

As usual, you Jet fans were right on top of this. Johnny posted on this blog two days, wondering about re-signing Katnik to the practice squad. At the time, I replied I thought the Jets would want to do that but another NFL team would likely claim him on waivers.

Katnik believes that might have been the case had he been released sooner than Tuesday. But he wasnít surprised he cleared waivers.

``Because it happened later in the week,íí said Katnik, a second-year pro who was on both the 49ers active and practice roster last season. ``If it had been a Monday-Tuesday situation instead of a Tuesday-Wednesday, maybe. But the way it worked out is fine. Iíd like to stay in the same situation, remaining here. Hopefully something happens so I can eventually be activated again. Iíve just got to keep my head to the grindstone.íí

Still, nothing softens the blow of being cut, even though the Jets told Katnik as they released him they wanted to bring him back on the practice roster.

``Anybody who ever gets that call, it stinks,íí Katnik said. ``You appreciate the fact they still like you enough to keep you around on the practice squad. But, yeah, itís a tough situation as anybody would tell you in the NFL. Itís a frustrating deal. But thatís the way the business goes.íí

One reason the Jets like the 6-foot-4, 280-pound Katnik is his versatility. He started 34 games in four collegiate seasons at Southern Cal and made a clean sweep, starting at left and right tackle, left and right guard and center.

Meanwhile, itís appearing more and more than Kendall will be ready to face the Colts Sunday. And with all due respect to Katnik, thatís the best news possible for the Jets.
    http://jets.lohudblogs.com/2006/09/2...-back-sort-of/

Not a surprising move.who makes up our practice squad now?

Rookie
    I think this was a move many of us expected. I'm just surprised he cleared waivers, since he is a versatile lineman who has upswing.

The Jets are glad to see him clear waivers so they could resign him ASAP. Nick Mangold he may not be, but he's no Steve Morley either.

Welcome back Norm!

i knew they would resign him, the jets been high on him every since they signed him

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Arod......Brooklyn

Why don't you call it a draw?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Good for Norm. It could be just a one week thing. He might be claimed by another team off of our practice squad. His resume looks better now than it did in august. Young player, can play center and guard. For the Jets, if he sticks on the ps. He's some extra insurance in case guys get hurt.

Interesting to see who he replaces on the practice squad.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... good job ... i like how he speaks frankly ... i also however do not have sympathy for him ... he has started for the NY Jets ... a dream many of us wish we could say ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Sucks for him, he would have made 10x as much money if he were inactive on the 53 man than on the PS.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by YJF
    Interesting to see who he replaces on the practice squad.
    YJF, he replaced Sloan Thomas.

Question

Anyone know who NOW makes up our PS besides Katnick?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVilma
    For all you Norm Katnik fans out there, the offensive lineman is back with the Jets two days after they waived him. The Jets re-signed Katnik to the practice squad today after he started the last two games in place of veteran left guard Pete Kendall and played essentially three quarters of the season-opener at Tennessee after Kendall injured his hamstring.

As usual, you Jet fans were right on top of this. Johnny posted on this blog two days, wondering about re-signing Katnik to the practice squad. At the time, I replied I thought the Jets would want to do that but another NFL team would likely claim him on waivers.

Katnik believes that might have been the case had he been released sooner than Tuesday. But he wasnít surprised he cleared waivers.

``Because it happened later in the week,íí said Katnik, a second-year pro who was on both the 49ers active and practice roster last season. ``If it had been a Monday-Tuesday situation instead of a Tuesday-Wednesday, maybe. But the way it worked out is fine. Iíd like to stay in the same situation, remaining here. Hopefully something happens so I can eventually be activated again. Iíve just got to keep my head to the grindstone.íí

Still, nothing softens the blow of being cut, even though the Jets told Katnik as they released him they wanted to bring him back on the practice roster.

``Anybody who ever gets that call, it stinks,íí Katnik said. ``You appreciate the fact they still like you enough to keep you around on the practice squad. But, yeah, itís a tough situation as anybody would tell you in the NFL. Itís a frustrating deal. But thatís the way the business goes.íí

One reason the Jets like the 6-foot-4, 280-pound Katnik is his versatility. He started 34 games in four collegiate seasons at Southern Cal and made a clean sweep, starting at left and right tackle, left and right guard and center.

Meanwhile, itís appearing more and more than Kendall will be ready to face the Colts Sunday. And with all due respect to Katnik, thatís the best news possible for the Jets.
    http://jets.lohudblogs.com/2006/09/2...-back-sort-of/

Lord I hope not!!!!