Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Key: Stablize the Game

Banned

The Key: Stablize the Game

Jets have to approach this like a Road Game ... same strategy ... stablize the game early and try to steal it late

This road philosophy is as old as time itself ... what you try to do on the road, especially verses a dominant opponent, is stablize the game early and don't let it get out of hand ... keep it close, don't let the other team pick up steam, like a snowball going down hill, then try to steal it in the second half

If the Jets are to have any chance, IMO that's the key ... avoid the early rout ... Go into the lockeroom at Halftime with the Game UP FOR GRABS ... then come out in the 2nd Half and try to GRAB IT

If you look at the home opener verses NE, that's the polar opposite of what I have in mind ... that's exactly what the Jets CANNOT do if they want a chance to steal this one, and that can easily happen verses the Colts if you don't make a concerted effort to Stablize the Game early

JMO
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 09-30-2006 at 10:13 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    One of the The jets and Mangini's strengths has been half-time adjustments.

As you suggest, if the Jets keep this one close, even down slightly, coming out of the locker room I like our boys chance.

But, IMO, these teams, even at the outset are much closer of a matchup than people are giving credit for.

Banned
    Just to further elaborate

The Colts are like a KO ARTIST in boxing ... a fighter who grows accustomed to the early knockout ... if you can avoid his best shots early, and take him into the later rounds, he loses some of his swagger and his punches lose some steam ... then you have a chance to turn the tables and KNOCK HIM OUT in the later rounds

The trick is to avoid being overwhelmed early and take him into the later rounds, deep end of the pool, then drown him
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 09-30-2006 at 10:23 PM.

Is it just me or does this sound like a herm-like approach to a game?

I guarantee Mangini gets the team to come out and compete from the start to the finish, its the only way you can be sure to get the best out of a team.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok14

I guarantee Mangini gets the team to come out and compete from the start to the finish, its the only way you can be sure to get the best out of a team.
    I didn't say anything about being conservative ... I always believe in staying on the attack ... I'm talkin about the Colts on offense, they're gonna throw their best shots early, as they always do ... that's when they unleash the haymakers in an effort to deliver the early knockout ... and if you can prevent that from happening, make them settle for 3's inside the redzone, and keep it from getting out of hand, that's when they become vulnerable ... that's taking them into the deep end of the pool, where you can drown them

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Just to further elaborate

The Colts are like a KO ARTIST in boxing ... a fighter who grows accustomed to the early knockout ... if you can avoid his best shots early, and take him into the later rounds, he loses some of his swagger and his punches lose some steam ... then you have a chance to turn the tables and KNOCK HIM OUT in the later rounds

The trick is to avoid being overwhelmed early and take him into the later rounds, deep end of the pool, then drown him
    According to Jay Cross, we're the little boxer with heart!

I hope we do as you say as I'll be rooting my ass of tomorrow in the rain for my Jets.

All League

Don't kid yourself, we're no where near the Colts talent wise. We have to hope to stay in it, and really take it to the Dolts when it matters most.

I didn't say anything about being conservative ... I always believe in staying on the attack ... I'm talkin about the Colts on offense, they're gonna throw their best shots early, as they always do ... that's when they unleash the haymakers in an effort to deliver the early knockout ... and if you can prevent that from happening, make them settle for 3's inside the redzone, and keep it from getting out of hand, that's when they become vulnerable ... that's taking them into the deep end of the pool, where you can drown them
    I'm sorry I may be missing something here but in short your saying that the defence needs to be strong and consistent for the whole game? Or that they only need to be switched on at the start and can relax in the later stages of the game?

It just seems your either saying something thats really common sense and I highly doubt if the colts dont get ahead in the beginning their going to be easier to beat. Sure we'll be closer to beating them but thats not the same as them being easier to beat.

All League
    I'm sorry I may be missing something here but in short your saying that the defence needs to be strong and consistent for the whole game? Or that they only need to be switched on at the start and can relax in the later stages of the game?

It just seems your either saying something thats really common sense and I highly doubt if the colts dont get ahead in the beginning their going to be easier to beat. Sure we'll be closer to beating them but thats not the same as them being easier to beat.
    He's saying you can't go punch for punch with the Colts, you have to do what Ali did to Foreman.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51
    He's saying you can't go punch for punch with the Colts, you have to do what Ali did to Foreman.
    But this is Football not boxing, the tactics dont cross over very well.

All Pro
    I'm just glad we are not dreading this game like a lot of games last year. I think GJ&H hit it on the head. Mangini wanted to get his team off to a good start and to finish strong. Both are things we haven't really done in the past few games. I mean, we all watched the mini-llapses that we thankfully held up against, but we are going to have to get a comfortable win sometime.

Banned

I'm sorry I may be missing something ...
    Yes, you are missing something

There are certains teams that can overwhelm you early in the game, and if you let them overwhelm you early, it usually gathers steam and turns into a rout

An offense like the Rams a few years back would be a perfect example ... if you let them hit you with a touchdown or two early in the game, there was a good chance they would hang 40 on you before the day was over ... that's what happens when you let their offense get untracked early, it gathers momentum and it snowballs out of control ... then you'll probably have to win a shootout, and that's not a recipe for success verses a prolific offense

That is not true of all offenses ... that is not even true of most offenses ... but it was true of the Rams a few years back, and its true of the Colts now

Conversely, those offenses tend to set the tone early in the opposite direction as well ... if you can keep them under control early, you have a much better chance to keep them from GOIN OFF all day, and thus you have a much better chance to Win the Game

I don't know how to explain it any better than that, and I won't try either ... that's my last best shot
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 09-30-2006 at 11:14 PM.

Veteran
    Knoxville, TN, but originally from NW Mass.
    Yes, you are missing something

There are certains teams that can overwhelm you early in the game, and if you let them overwhelm you early, it usually gathers steam and turns into a rout

An offense like the Rams a few years back would be a perfect example ... if you let them hit you with a touchdown or two early in the game, there was a good chance they would hang 40 on you before the day was over ... that's what happens when you let their offense get untracked early, it gathers momentum and it snowballs out of control ... then you'll probably have to win a shootout, and that's not a recipe for success verses a prolific offense

That is not true of all offenses ... that is not even true of most offenses ... but it was true of the Rams a few years back, and its true of the Colts now

Conversely, those offenses tend to set the tone early in the opposite direction as well ... if you can keep them under control early, you have a much better chance to keep them from GOIN OFF all day, and thus you have a much better chance to Win the Game

I don't know how to explain it any better than that, and I won't try either ... that's my last best shot

Agreed, Ham. And especially true for the Jets, as the last 2 weeks we've seen a tendency to open games cold. Got way behind NE and couldn't catch up despite a furious rally. And last week, fortunately Buffalo squandered their early domination (only 7 points) and the Jets flew past.

I would think the Jets D might open in a nickel package of some kind, and hopefully a confusing package of blitzes to confuse Manning.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoxJetFan

Agreed, Ham. And especially true for the Jets, as the last 2 weeks we've seen a tendency to open games cold. Got way behind NE and couldn't catch up despite a furious rally. And last week, fortunately Buffalo squandered their early domination (only 7 points) and the Jets flew past.

I would think the Jets D might open in a nickel package of some kind, and hopefully a confusing package of blitzes to confuse Manning.
    EXACTLY Knox

You can get away with that verses Buffalo, and most other teams as well, but not verses a team like the Colts

When you face an offense like Indy's ...

You can't WIN THE GAME in the 1st Qtr, but you can LOSE THE GAME in the 1st Qtr

You let that offense get rolling downhill early in the game and your chances of winning decrese substantially, because that usually sets the tone for their offense to keep on rolling downhill all day

That's what I mean by the early knockout ... technically they beat you over 4 Qtrs, but in actuality they won the game when they landed those early haymakers
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 09-30-2006 at 11:52 PM.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    But this is Football not boxing, the tactics dont cross over very well.
    That's not very well said. The comparison is apt when evenly matched fighters go the distance. (A football game is a "distance") Ali took a savage beating, he was prepared for it and he had the advantage (his only advantage) of stunning the opponent with ferocity at a time when he was waning and losing confidence.

That is exactly the cold-blooded business Ham wants the Jets perpetuate on Indianapolis. Slow them down and make them work hard for their results. That kind of pressure is like a python, it requires quick successive intelligent decisions through out the game in reaction to Peyton Manning and his guys

Indy could come out in a 2 minute offense on successive drives. They have to blunt that attack and hope to steal it in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive
    That's not very well said. The comparison is apt when evenly matched fighters go the distance. (A football game is a "distance") Ali took a savage beating, he was prepared for it and he had the advantage (his only advantage) of stunning the opponent with ferocity at a time when he was waning and losing confidence.

That is exactly the cold-blooded business Ham wants the Jets perpetuate on Indianapolis. Slow them down and make them work hard for their results. That kind of pressure is like a python, it requires quick successive intelligent decisions through out the game in reaction to Peyton Manning and his guys

Indy could come out in a 2 minute offense on successive drives. They have to blunt that attack and hope to steal it in the end.
    I still dont think the analogy translates well as football is made up of 4 components not the 2 involved in boxing (you could even up that to 6 if you wanted too). So any de-moralising or tiring effects you inflict on the offense isn't going to affect the defense much. And really if you think logically about an offense that if scores early can score lots, but if they dont score early can struggle, doesn't that just mean that the offense is either effective against the defense or it isn't and doesn't have a plan B?

I still dont think the analogy translates well as football is made up of 4 components not the 2 involved in boxing (you could even up that to 6 if you wanted too). So any de-moralising or tiring effects you inflict on the offense isn't going to affect the defense much. And really if you think logically about an offense that if scores early can score lots, but if they dont score early can struggle, doesn't that just mean that the offense is either effective against the defense or it isn't and doesn't have a plan B?
    Have you ever heard the expression in team sports, especially football, that you can't let a bad team hang around? If you don't jump on bad teams early and smother them, they can hang around long enough to steal a win at the end of the game. They gain confidence by remaining competitive, picking up some momentum, and before you know it, get a lucky bounce or two and wind up winning a game that shouldn't have been close... You've heard of that before, right? Well, WE'RE that bad team...

Rookie
    Jets are going to need that elusive first quarter TD to have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by nationalist88
    Have you ever heard the expression in team sports, especially football, that you can't let a bad team hang around? If you don't jump on bad teams early and smother them, they can hang around long enough to steal a win at the end of the game. They gain confidence by remaining competitive, picking up some momentum, and before you know it, get a lucky bounce or two and wind up winning a game that shouldn't have been close... You've heard of that before, right? Well, WE'RE that bad team...
    I've heard it before, and I think it has more to do with making sure that you take your chances. If you are a bad team and you adopt an attitude of trying to contain a much better team then 90% of the time your gonna get smashed. You really think Mangini is gonna tell his defence 'just hold them to a reasonable score and then maybe we might get some luck and arse a win at the death'?

It is a stupid way to approach a game and even worse to try complicate a basic gameplan like 'playing hard the whole match' with stuff like that, thats all i'm saying.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Yes. Which is why you have to keep them from scoring and moving the ball because they have so many options that getting on a roll is much easier for them. Making them press and do the things that they don't prefer to do gives the Jets an advantage. Can the Jets continue to pressure the Colts the ENTIRE game?

You can bet that since it puts pressure on the Jets, the Colts will do everything to pick a weakness and hammer it early and score a lot. That's their pressure.