Thread: Good Article in Star Ledger

Good Article in Star Ledger

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...790.xml&coll=1
    Mangini confirms Martin is closer
    Thursday, October 12, 2006
    BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Coach Eric Mangini confirmed a report in yesterday's Star-Ledger that RB Curtis Martin, who is eligible to come off the physically unable to perform list on Monday, could return to practice next week.

Martin, who has a bone-on-bone condition in his right knee, was placed on the PUP list in August. He has been rehabbing and attending meetings all season.

Though Martin, 33, is eligible to come off the list on Monday, the Jets have three weeks to decide when to take him off the list. When they do, they'll have another three weeks to activate him.

"He and I have talked about that a little bit," Mangini said yesterday. "It's not something we're setting any timetable on. It's more of going through the process, seeing how it feels, getting into more football-specific activities. It could be as early as (next week) or it could be right down to the wire.

"The key thing for us is to make sure that when it does happen, it's the best decision, it's the right time and he's completely ready."

In theory, Martin could play as late as Week 12. Though some in the organization still fear he may not make it back, the Jets are giving him every opportunity because it's believed the 12th-year pro and future Hall of Famer doesn't want his career to end with an injury. He has said repeatedly that he wants to play this season.

"It'll be different not seeing him out there," said Dolphins DE Jason Taylor, whose team visits the Medowlands this weekend. "He was always a big part of what we have focused on for most of the week. He wasn't real flashy or the fastest, and with those big elbow pads, he looked unorthodox at times. But the man has everyone's respect. You could be here all day saying good things about him."

WR Laveranues Coles said he hasn't spoken to Mangini about his postgame comments last Sunday and doesn't plan to. Mangini also said no meeting is scheduled.

Coles was upset after catching just three passes for 19 yards against Jacksonville and sitting out most of the second and fourth quarters.

"I just don't like losing," Coles said. "After a game like that, I was a little frustrated and angry. But you come back on Monday, look at the corrections and then you move forward. ... He (Mangini) is the general. Whatever decisions he makes, I live with them."

Mangini said his office door is always open.

Former Jets CB Derrick Strait, released on Tuesday, was claimed by eight teams and awarded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who had the worst record among those teams. Tampa plays the same cover-2 defense that Strait played in college at Oklahoma.

"Derrick is excited," said Michael Lartigue, Strait's agent. "He excelled in this defense in college and we think it's a good fit."

Meanwhile, ex-Patriot CB Hank Poteat, who was signed to replace Strait and played under Mangini in New England, said the Jets and Patriots defenses "are pretty much the same."

RB Cedric Houston (hyperextended left knee) returned to practice yesterday on a limited basis. He won't play Sunday against Miami. The Jets have 23 players on their injury list this week, none is listed more serious than questionable. ... Jets DT Rashad Moore was excused from practice for personal reasons. ... Dolphins QB Daunte Culpepper (shoulder/knee) and WR Marty Booker (chest) are doubtful. Joey Harrington will start at QB for the Dolphins.

Ex-Jets CB Jamie Henderson, who has signed with the Las Vegas Gladitors of the Arena Football League, said that when the Jets agreed to pay his salary for the 2004 season, although he couldn't play following a life-threatening motorcycle accident, it enabled him to qualify for an NFL pension with four accrued seasons.

"I can't thank (Jets owner) Woody Johnson enough, he didn't have to do that," said Henderson, 27. "Terry Bradway and Mike Tannenbaum, they were great to me."

I had forgotten about Jamie Henderson, that was a classy move by woody to do that

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ambxc22
    Ex-Jets CB Jamie Henderson, who has signed with the Las Vegas Gladitors of the Arena Football League, said that when the Jets agreed to pay his salary for the 2004 season, although he couldn't play following a life-threatening motorcycle accident, it enabled him to qualify for an NFL pension with four accrued seasons.

"I can't thank (Jets owner) Woody Johnson enough, he didn't have to do that," said Henderson, 27. "Terry Bradway and Mike Tannenbaum, they were great to me."
    IIRC, it was Herm that went to bat for Henderson.

Hall Of Fame
    can someone remind me why poteat is better than strait ?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by samwise
    Has more experience is this system and has worked with our head coach.

On the flipside, what has Strait shown in 3 years? I'll always remember him as the guy who didn't go into the game and left us with 10 men on the field against San Diego in a huge road playoff game.....two friggin plays in a row!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    Has more experience is this system and has worked with our head coach.

On the flipside, what has Strait shown in 3 years? I'll always remember him as the guy who didn't go into the game and left us with 10 men on the field against San Diego in a huge road playoff game.....two friggin plays in a row!

no way, I don't remember that, what a doofus

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ambxc22

Meanwhile, ex-Patriot CB Hank Poteat, who was signed to replace Strait and played under Mangini in New England, said the Jets and Patriots defenses "are pretty much the same."
    Well, it looks like it is in fact the players struggling to adapt to the system, as opposed to Mangini and Sutton not gameplanning correctly.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TerpJet
    Well, it looks like it is in fact the players struggling to adapt to the system, as opposed to Mangini and Sutton not gameplanning correctly.
    That's what I've been saying all along.

The 3-4 takes time to get used to. Did Cleveland have a juggernaut defense last year when Crennel came in and installed the 3-4? Did Mike Nolan's defense take anyones breath away?

You can't expect us to have a great defense right now. We need to add some more horses to the stable.

Bring in a big body at NT and a good passrusher at OLB (LaMarr Woodley in round 1!!) and we'll be set.

Seems likely; that sounds like Herm.. Very nice gesture, especially since he wasn't really a standout player.

Hall Of Fame

I believe Parcells did something similar for DB Kevin Williams ?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    That's what I've been saying all along.

The 3-4 takes time to get used to. Did Cleveland have a juggernaut defense last year when Crennel came in and installed the 3-4? Did Mike Nolan's defense take anyones breath away?

You can't expect us to have a great defense right now. We need to add some more horses to the stable.

Bring in a big body at NT and a good passrusher at OLB (LaMarr Woodley in round 1!!) and we'll be set.
    Great point !!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise

Beause, Strait sucked.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

At least he claimed credit for it. Apparently, Henderson doesn't remember it that way...