Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: An open letter to Roger Goodell

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22,746

    An open letter to Roger Goodell

    My name is Joe Brod and I am a lifelong fan of the New York Jets.

    I am writing this letter out of pure disgust and disillusionment with your league's current product.

    I just returned home from watching the Jet-Browns game at a local sportsbar and am beside myself. The current state of officiating in the National Football League is atrocious.

    I know this is not a new or unusual complaint, I honestly can't imagine the sheer number of angry letters, emails and phone calls your office must have received after the farcical officiating that was on display in last February's Super Bowl. I am not a nut who is going to ask for a reversal of the outcome of today's game. I am not even going to suggest that the call on the Jets final offensive play was unquestionably the incorrect call.

    All I am asking for is basic fairness and competency moving forward. As a lifelong fan who has spent throusands and thousands of dollars on your product over the years in game tickets, concessions, merchandise and DirecTV's NFL Ticket, I believe I, and the other millions of fans of this sport who have done the same, are enititled to nothing less.

    If a play has the kind of bearing the play in question has on the outcome of the game, please review it. I know this particular call is tough to make and is purely based on the judgment of the observer. But if the play literally determines who will win and lose the game, that is the least your league can do.

    If not. Please do away with instant replay altogether. Instant replay was insitituted in the NFL to make sure calls like this one are correct. To not use in this situation is unforgiveable and calls into question the integrity of the game itself.

    That is one thing the NFL can not afford to play around with. Incompetent officiating, the likes of which is on display every Sunday and Monday in just about every game I watch lately, can have a potentially more damaging effect on the game's integrity than a gambling or steroid scandal because of the pure immediacy of it.

    It is right in front of your face. You see the cause and effect in real time and it sticks in people's minds forever.

    For a league with the following and overwhelming success of the NFL to not seem to understand this is mind-boggling to me. And based on the continued deterioration of the quality of officiating, the only logical conclusions I can come to is that the NFL doesn't understand the negative impact this can have on the league, or simply doesn't care. I can only hope it is the former and not the latter.

    If it is indeed the former, allow me to implore you to make fixing the officiating in this league one of your top priorities as Commissioner. If it is not fixed and continues to degrade at the same level it has the past few years, you will see the negative impact in lower TV ratings, lower ticket sales, lower merchandise sales and basically less revenue because fans like me are at our wits end. I honestly do not know how much longer I can continue to watch if this continues for much longer.

    Thankyou and good luck.

    Go Jets!!!

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,714
    Can't review a judgement call, it is in the rules.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    8,003
    You let him off too easy.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Can't review a judgement call, it is in the rules.
    Really? Isn't a spot a judgement call?

    By making somethings reviewable and others not reviewable, it renders instant replay meaningless. Doesn't the Referee have the ability to overrule any other official's judgement on "reviewable" plays?

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod
    Really? Isn't a spot a judgement call?

    By making somethings reviewable and others not reviewable, it renders instant replay meaningless. Doesn't the Referee have the ability to overrule any other official's judgement on "reviewable" plays?
    What spot are you talking about?

    You can't review a force out the same way you can't review a penalty flag.

    It is the rules, we had a bad call against us but we deserved to lose this game.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Can't review a judgement call, it is in the rules.
    he is saying, "the rules as they are", need to be changed

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,550
    Anything under should 2:00 should be challengeable

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader
    he is saying, "the rules as they are", need to be changed
    and I agree

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader
    he is saying, "the rules as they are", need to be changed
    OK my bad, I didn't read the entire post.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    currently CT/eventually NC
    Posts
    3,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Can't review a judgement call, it is in the rules.
    So what your saying is that if no one touched Baker and his feet landed close to the line and the referee ruled him out of bounds, that judgement on the part of the referee WOULD BE REVIEWABLE....but if he is pushed out that judgement on the part of the referee is NOT REVIEWABLE????

    I think it is that sort of assinine logic that prompted Klecko to write his well-written letter.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The Jersey Shore
    Posts
    3,065
    Is Joe Brod your real name or is that your alias?

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    9,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Can't review a judgement call, it is in the rules.
    THEN CHANGE IT TO A ****ING RULE THAT MAKES SENSE!!! yeah its a rule, but its retarded, CHANGE IT!!!!

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22,746
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance99
    Is Joe Brod your real name or is that your alias?
    Oh ****! Are you gonna start stalking me now?

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,714
    One thing why did Mangini call a TO with 55 second to go, I mean if he doesn't call that TO we have a shot at a punt return.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    9,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    One thing why did Mangini call a TO with 55 second to go, I mean if he doesn't call that TO we have a shot at a punt return.
    not really, they wouldve had about 6 seconds. furthermore he was trying to get a review out of it, which is a smart thing to do at the time

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod
    My name is Joe Brod and I am a lifelong fan of the New York Jets.

    I am writing this letter out of pure disgust and disillusionment with your league's current product.

    I just returned home from watching the Jet-Browns game at a local sportsbar and am beside myself. The current state of officiating in the National Football League is atrocious.

    I know this is not a new or unusual complaint, I honestly can't imagine the sheer number of angry letters, emails and phone calls your office must have received after the farcical officiating that was on display in last February's Super Bowl. I am not a nut who is going to ask for a reversal of the outcome of today's game. I am not even going to suggest that the call on the Jets final offensive play was unquestionably the incorrect call.

    All I am asking for is basic fairness and competency moving forward. As a lifelong fan who has spent throusands and thousands of dollars on your product over the years in game tickets, concessions, merchandise and DirecTV's NFL Ticket, I believe I, and the other millions of fans of this sport who have done the same, are enititled to nothing less.

    If a play has the kind of bearing the play in question has on the outcome of the game, please review it. I know this particular call is tough to make and is purely based on the judgment of the observer. But if the play literally determines who will win and lose the game, that is the least your league can do.

    If not. Please do away with instant replay altogether. Instant replay was insitituted in the NFL to make sure calls like this one are correct. To not use in this situation is unforgiveable and calls into question the integrity of the game itself.

    That is one thing the NFL can not afford to play around with. Incompetent officiating, the likes of which is on display every Sunday and Monday in just about every game I watch lately, can have a potentially more damaging effect on the game's integrity than a gambling or steroid scandal because of the pure immediacy of it.

    It is right in front of your face. You see the cause and effect in real time and it sticks in people's minds forever.

    For a league with the following and overwhelming success of the NFL to not seem to understand this is mind-boggling to me. And based on the continued deterioration of the quality of officiating, the only logical conclusions I can come to is that the NFL doesn't understand the negative impact this can have on the league, or simply doesn't care. I can only hope it is the former and not the latter.

    If it is indeed the former, allow me to implore you to make fixing the officiating in this league one of your top priorities as Commissioner. If it is not fixed and continues to degrade at the same level it has the past few years, you will see the negative impact in lower TV ratings, lower ticket sales, lower merchandise sales and basically less revenue because fans like me are at our wits end. I honestly do not know how much longer I can continue to watch if this continues for much longer.

    Thankyou and good luck.

    Go Jets!!!
    Please tell me you wrote that just to get discussion going here and that you didn't actually send that to him.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,233
    The rules need to be change. If this play was reviewable, we'd be in OT.

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,813
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    The rules need to be change. If this play was reviewable, we'd be in OT.
    I feel your pain, but if we make all these kinds of plays reviewable, NFL games would last 6 hours!

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22,746
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet
    Please tell me you wrote that just to get discussion going here and that you didn't actually send that to him.
    Do you understand the concept of an "open letter?"

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22,746
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHiJetMan
    I feel your pain, but if we make all these kinds of plays reviewable, NFL games would last 6 hours!
    How? Coaches would still only have two challenges per game.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us