Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT : Free Spyware remover

All League

OT : Free Spyware remover

I am looking for some free Spy ware remover that I can download do you guys have any advice?

Thanks for the help.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Last edited by Savage69; 11-09-2006 at 10:03 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent

Banned

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PMCRW
    I look forward to your avatars each week.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

windows defender is free, and better than anything out there. i guess because it has deeper acces to the OS, not sure why, but we used to use spybot and adaware, as machines have probs we instll defender and it catches and removes or repairs what they couldn't. and for me to say that about a MS product...

All League
    Thanks Guys

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by savage69
    I use Spybot and Lavasoft Adaware. They each catch things the other doesn't.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by savage69
    Once spybot is done with it's sweep it wants me to register and buy the product is there a way around that?

Spybot and spyware blaster. Run Spyboy first then protect yourself with Spywareblaster. Then add Ad aware by Lavasoft. They are free. You have to run scans and updates manually unless you actually pay for it. These keep my kids PC's clean.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TKasper01
    Spybot and spyware blaster. Run Spyboy first then protect yourself with Spywareblaster. Then add Ad aware by Lavasoft. They are free. You have to run scans and updates manually unless you actually pay for it. These keep my kids PC's clean.
    I just ran spy bot and in order for me to quarantine anything I have to Purchase it how are you getting it for free?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMike
    Once spybot is done with it's sweep it wants me to register and buy the product is there a way around that?
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

That's the link for spybot. The free one that you do not need to register.

http://www.stevengould.org/software/.../download.html

This is another free one that catches stuff that spybot doesn't. Use both of them. Unlike antivirus prgs, it's not bad too have more than one ant-syware prg.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMike
    I just ran spy bot and in order for me to quarantine anything I have to Purchase it how are you getting it for free?
    Uninstall that one. Hopefully it's one thats isn't a pain in the ass to get rid of or worse, actually out's spyware on your PC. I think savage mistakenly gave the wrong link.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky24
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

That's the link for spybot. The free one that you do not need to register.

http://www.stevengould.org/software/.../download.html

This is another free one that catches stuff that spybot doesn't. Use both of them. Unlike antivirus prgs, it's not bad too have more than one ant-syware prg.
    That spybot link is not working

Veteran
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

try that. the one you want is spybot search and destroy

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky24
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

try that. the one you want is spybot search and destroy
    That worked thanks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater
    I look forward to your avatars each week.
    thanks. i want to officially apologize for the Browns game. everytime i went to sit down to do it i got sidetracked playing Doom 3. i will never fail you again...

...and JetsMike my personal advice is to purchase a top ANTI-VIRUS program. i know i know spending money on a stupid program sucks but simply removing spyware doesnt really do your computer any good if its been infected with a virus. also anti-spyware programs do not remove worms or trojan horses. you are at some point going to have to bite the bullet and sign up for a subscription service if you want full blown protection. Firewalls are essential.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PMCRW
    thanks. i want to officially apologize for the Browns game. everytime i went to sit down to do it i got sidetracked playing Doom 3. i will never fail you again...

...and JetsMike my personal advice is to purchase a top ANTI-VIRUS program. i know i know spending money on a stupid program sucks but simply removing spyware doesnt really do your computer any good if its been infected with a virus. also anti-spyware programs do not remove worms or trojan horses. you are at some point going to have to bite the bullet and sign up for a subscription service if you want full blown protection. Firewalls are essential.
    Yeah I know I have been using Lava soft ad aware for years now. I was just trying to find another free spy ware utility that works. For some reason ad aware is not as good as it used to be.

Banned
    Oh and you are aslo going to want to run different spyware programs cause apparently there are some that dont detact what others can. I've even read how some make false positives on purpose. I say check out PCworld.com and say what they review and then go from there.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I use a suite of programs to keep my pcs clean, as my livelihood is on-line. You can google them to find downloads.(Also, being the cheap SOB that I am,I found the best freeware that I could find)

Spyware Terminator....Relatively new, provides HIPS realtime protection & on-demand scanning
    Ewido Antispyware- they may have changed their name or been bought out within the last month, but they are very good
    A2 Free- another free scan program which does a decent job
    SpywareBlaster- It doesnt let the nasty stuff get started.

If you are interested in more detail or have further questions go to Wilder's security Forums, where there is wealth of info on whats best and how to use these programs.