Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: NYC Hole-In-The-Wall Eateries/Pubs

Veteran

OT: NYC Hole-In-The-Wall Eateries/Pubs

Heading to the city in 2 weeks and have a question. We come to NYC about 2-3 times per year and always seem to manage to find some sort of hole-in-the-wall that actually has great food and drinks with a unique atmosphere. Not looking for night time fine dinning, just some places that are unique (not absolute s**tholes), to pop in, eat, have a drink and then back out to the city. I never remember the names of these places, but last year we were visiting a friend who was staying at the Le Parker Meridien hotel on West 57th when we noticed people lining a narrow hallway. We found that the line was for burgers. Now here we are in a hotel with marble floors and walls and they are serving burgers at the end of a hallway??? No...couldnt be true. We got in line and when we reached the end of the hallway, we found a tiny room that seats about 50 or so people which is called The Burger Joint. Absolutely one of the best burgers I've had. The place had outdated wood paneled walls, the guy behind the grille and calling peoples names when their order was up was funny and we got a cheese burger, fries in a greasy brown paper bag, and a pitcher of Sam Adams (the only type of beer they have). We now visit The Burger Joint everytime we are in the city. Thanks and look forward to hearing of more!

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanohio
    Heading to the city in 2 weeks and have a question. We come to NYC about 2-3 times per year and always seem to manage to find some sort of hole-in-the-wall that actually has great food and drinks with a unique atmosphere. Not looking for night time fine dinning, just some places that are unique (not absolute s**tholes), to pop in, eat, have a drink and then back out to the city. I never remember the names of these places, but last year we were visiting a friend who was staying at the Le Parker Meridien hotel on West 57th when we noticed people lining a narrow hallway. We found that the line was for burgers. Now here we are in a hotel with marble floors and walls and they are serving burgers at the end of a hallway??? No...couldnt be true. We got in line and when we reached the end of the hallway, we found a tiny room that seats about 50 or so people which is called The Burger Joint. Absolutely one of the best burgers I've had. The place had outdated wood paneled walls, the guy behind the grille and calling peoples names when their order was up was funny and we got a cheese burger, fries in a greasy brown paper bag, and a pitcher of Sam Adams (the only type of beer they have). We now visit The Burger Joint everytime we are in the city. Thanks and look forward to hearing of more!

I actually read about the Burger Joint in some reviewer magazine, it's pretty much exactly how you described it. I gotta try that place.

Rookie
    Theres a place in the villiage called Chumley's. Its an old speak easy and they have no signs outside or anything. Its just a door. You bascially have to know its there. Its at the corner of Bedford and Barrow streets, so just wonder into the random alley and listen for the noise from the bar inside.

These days its not so secret anymore as many tourists guide books list it.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

There's this really cheap tiny little taco joint around 1st av and 9th. I think it recently move across the street and down one block. Anyone know the name? I can't recall, but the price and the taste was perfect for those after-club munchies.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    http://www.oldcastlepub.com/home.html

Old castle pub. Looks awesome inside.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVilma
    Theres a place in the villiage called Chumley's. Its an old speak easy and they have no signs outside or anything. Its just a door. You bascially have to know its there. Its at the corner of Bedford and Barrow streets, so just wonder into the random alley and listen for the noise from the bar inside.

These days its not so secret anymore as many tourists guide books list it.
    Sounds good. Is it anywhere near The Barrow Street Ale House?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    http://www.oldcastlepub.com/home.html

Old castle pub. Looks awesome inside.
    Thanks for the effort SBIII. But a pub with a website isnt exactly a hole-in-the-wall eatery, now is it?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Thanks for the effort SBIII. But a pub with a website isnt exactly a hole-in-the-wall eatery, now is it?
    Go **** yourself. Fine eat with a rat on your ****ing lap *******.

Rookie
    Sounds good. Is it anywhere near The Barrow Street Ale House?

Its in that same area, I think the ale house is closer to west 4th street. Chumley's is 86 Barrow street a little ways down. Usually if its warm they have dancing in the courtyard, but I'm sure its too cold at night for that now.

Also, if you go bring cash, cause I dont think they accept credit cards.

All Pro
    If you like Chinese food, there's this little tiny place that has no name and it's on 69 Bayard Street (downstairs entrance) and it's known by that name too. It's in Chinatown and the food is great there. The place is decorated with one dollar bills all over the restuarant. People usually sign one and add it to the decor, wherever there's a space available though. If you do decide to go there, enjoy!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Go to Wo hop. oh no wait this ******* wants to go in and out quickly fag.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Go **** yourself. Fine eat with a rat on your ****ing lap *******.
    You tell'em SB3, God those Ohioans have some nerve! We have to put up with them every summer in Va. Beach!

LOLOLOL!!!

Veteran
    Its in that same area, I think the ale house is closer to west 4th street. Chumley's is 86 Barrow street a little ways down. Usually if its warm they have dancing in the courtyard, but I'm sure its too cold at night for that now.

Thanks CV! It's on my list of places to visit. ***SBIII...Take notes. This is the kind of info I am looking for!*** j/k

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Thanks CV! It's on my list of places to visit. ***SBIII...Take notes. This is the kind of info I am looking for!*** j/k
    Yeah homo they have dancing in the court yard. Real hole in the wall. Jackoff.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet
    You tell'em SB3, God those Ohioans have some nerve! We have to put up with them every summer in Va. Beach!

LOLOLOL!!!
    Damn him to hell.

Veteran

Dude, that's awful close to Christopher Street. You wouldnt be sending me to the wrong kind of joint, would you?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Fraunces Tavern in lower Manhattan....

A bit pricey but excellent food....

Months after 9-11 my wife and I decided that were we to go out we would go to lower Manhattan and support the restaurants down there....

Fraunces (which was named after George Washington's butler) has amazing history to it...

George Washington stayed there...I believe they drew plans to fight the civil there....it was also bombed by the FALN terrorists in the 70's and survived and again took a lot of damage from 9-11 and came through.....

Just a lot of history surrounding you while you eat...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Go to Wo hop. oh no wait this ******* wants to go in and out quickly fag.

YES!!!!

what is it...19 Mott Steet or something??

I used to go to frequent that place 25 years ago.....when we'd go to Manhattan night clubs on the weekend we would end up there at 4AM in the morning...

BEST Chinese food....the hot and sour soup is a must!!

Veteran
    Yeah homo they have dancing in the court yard. Real hole in the wall. Jackoff.
    You ****ing a**hole b***ch. Dont even think you're going to rain on my parade. I know it happens to your threads everyday, but I start a thread once a month and to have your sorry ass ruin it will not be tolerated. This thread is for advice, not some bull**** nobody gives a **** about.

All Pro
    corner bistro