Thread: Post Game Thoughts

Post Game Thoughts

Thats a rough loss to take. I havent had a chance to scan through the board yet, but Im sure there are alot of upset Jet fans out there. To be shut out at home is not pleasant, especially when you had a handful of opportunites that you literally threw away.

I will say one thing that I was pleased with was that the stadium was pretty full come kickoff time. I couldnt figure out what was going on with the Jets and Bears switching sides like 3 times prior to the kickoff or why there was a big delay after the 1st play, but it was nice to see the stadium filled so early for a big game.

Offense- If you want to pick on one person who lost the game for us today it was Chad Pennington. For the most part he was awful. His 2 turnovers were really the key points of the game. On 3rd and goal from the 4 Im not even sure what he was trying to do. It looked like he was trying to force it into triple coverage through the zone, but Im not sure. Either way it was a horrible choice. His second turnover was bizzare. I guess he read blitz and thought someone would just be there. It was all downhill after that. He pressed terribly and was bouncing balls to open guys and overthrowing them badly. He lost his composure today. Our team cant win when he does that. Hopefully there arent the bench Chad threads again, but Im sure there are....If there was one guy who played well today it was Laverneous Coles. He made some nice plays with the ball and continued his strong season. Tim Dwight and Cedric Houston both did well at times. The team took some terrible offsides penalties, but for the most part the line did a good enough job. All in all the unit deserves an F. When you put up a 0 you cant expect a better grade.

Defense- Maybe the defense is coming around after all. Can they stop the run? No. But they are getting much more penetration on the QB now and outside of one slip they shut the Bears down. Kerry Rhodes played a wondeful game today. He was all over the field. Did the Jets get screwed on that non turnover call? Maybe. The replays they showed at the stadium were inconclusive, and I didnt think enough to turn the play over, but it was the stadium look which will always favor the Jets. The biggest negative was that they couldnt get the offense the ball back towards the end of the game, but they had to be spent by then.

Special Teams- Tim Dwight did a very good job. Ben Graham kept Hester from getting much in the way of runback attempts. Justin Miller was a non factor and the coverage team had a few chances to pin the Bears but couldnt seem to find the ball in time. Really not much to talk about here.

Coaching- I didnt like anything about this game. I though the onside kick was a terrible call. In a shootout game, maybe. Off a TD maybe. Not in a 0-0 tie off the half. To me it made no sense. I also did not understand why they kept using Leon Washington. I said it earlier in the week he shouldnt be used in this game. Thats not the type of runner that does well against Chicago. Im not sure why they did not play Kevan Barlow much past the first series. Maybe he was hurt, but if not it should have been he and Houston getting the carries. Houston had a good game but they wasted too much time with Washington today....Playcalling on certain third downs was bad. There were one or two chances where they could have either tried a long field goal or called plays to give Nugent a chance for a 48 or 49 yarder. In a game where you are willing to take a chance with an onside kick, how can you not take a chance that your kicker can hit one close to 50? Its the same field position and same momentum switch if you miss....I also cant figure out why they did not go for it on their last possible drive. If you are going on 4th and 7, but not on 4th and 12 you should play 3rd down like its 2nd down. A few more yards and you either have a much easier 4th or you can try to take the 3. Not going on 4th was foolish at that point, no matter what they had to pick up....The Jets were prepared and the gameplan seemed to work, but the actual decision making here was bad. Mangini did not have a good game.

But before we all get too down on the Jets, if ever there was a "house money" game it was this one. To get back in it we had to go 1-1 after the break. We got it. Now the hard portion of the schedule is finished. Houston stinks and is all banged up. Buffalo struggled to beat them. Oakland is awful. Green Bay may have lost Bret Favre and the Vikings are reeling. We lost a game we could have won today, but if you are going to lose one its better to lose to an NFC team right now. If we can take care of business againt the 4 AFC teams left on our schedule we will be in good shape to have a shot at the playoffs. If we cant we dont deserve it.

But no more pass games like this. Our guys have to beat Houston next week. Under no circumstances can the Jets lose. This game should be a distant memory come Monday morning.

Veteran
    Very insightful Jason. I am like you, I hated the onsides kick call. Very bushleague and unnecessary in a close game like this when your defense is playing so well. Kick long and pin them back to play for field position. Leon Washington dances too much and tries to make too many cute moves to be successful against a fast defense like the bears.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423

But before we all get too down on the Jets, if ever there was a "house money" game it was this one. To get back in it we had to go 1-1 after the break. We got it. Now the hard portion of the schedule is finished. Houston stinks and is all banged up. Buffalo struggled to beat them. Oakland is awful. Green Bay may have lost Bret Favre and the Vikings are reeling. We lost a game we could have won today, but if you are going to lose one its better to lose to an NFC team right now[U]. If we can take care of business againt the 4 AFC teams left on our schedule we will be in good shape to have a shot at the playoffs. If we cant we dont deserve it.
    this is the most novel concept in there Jason, and one we should remember.

great point. and good write-up. as always.