Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: leave chad pennington alone

Hall Of Fame

leave chad pennington alone

thought we needed one from the "other side"

link

GIVE HIM A PASS
    CHAD BASHERS SHOULD BE INTERCEPTED
    November 22, 2006 -- Leave Chad Pennington alone. Enough already with the knee-jerk reactions on the radio call-in airwaves and in other so-called expert corners of sports analysis.

Where were the exasperated "we can't win with Chad" calls when Pennington was throwing for 300 yards in each of the first two games? Where were they a week ago, when Pennington made some big plays in the Jets' win over the Patriots?

Sure, Pennington has hit a tough spell, the most inconsistent stretch of his career.

Does that mean he's done? Does it mean he's now incapable of being a winning quarterback for the Jets anymore?

Nonsense.

Pennington just came off the toughest two-game portion of the Jets' schedule - at New England (ranked No. 3 in overall defense) and Sunday against the 9-1 Bears (ranked No. 1) - and he's 1-1. A few weeks ago, the thought of splitting those two games was something any Jets fan would have signed up for without a second thought.

It's funny how perceptions change like the weather in sports, particularly regarding football, where teams' respective temperatures are taken on a weekly basis.

A week ago, Pennington and the Jets were the New York football heroes, having knocked off the big, bad Patriots in their backyard. Now the fans want to run Pennington out of town.

Sure, Pennington was a major reason why the Jets lost to the Bears, throwing two critical interceptions, one of which was in the Chicago end zone. And interceptions have uncharacteristically been the bane of Pennington's existence this season. Only three NFL QBs have thrown more than the 11 he's already thrown through 10 games.

The fact that Pennington's TD-to-INT ratio has always been rather good and that his strength has been the ability to avoid the game-turning mistakes are why Pennington is being questioned so heavily.

After the Chicago game, Pennington, citing some "chemistry" problems between he and his receivers, conceded his struggles, but insisted that his twice-surgically-repaired right shoulder, which people want to blame, is not an issue.

"Physically, I feel good," Pennington insisted after the Bears game. "Mentally, experiencing this is something I haven't experienced in my career - the inconsistency part. That's something that I'm dealing with."

Let's remember that Pennington is dealing with a running attack without a legitimate star feature back, the way Curtis Martin was for the Jets since he was acquired in 1998.

Though they have a couple of very good ones in Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery, the Jets, too, are without a true star, speed burner receiver.

In other words, the Jets do not have a single dynamic playmaker on offense who keeps opposing defensive coordinators up late at night trying to figure out ways of stopping him.

That said, though, Pennington does need to break out of his funk in a hurry. The Jets are now in a final six-game stretch where they can't afford to lose more than one, maybe two games, if they're going to earn a playoff berth.

The first of those six games comes Sunday against the 3-7 Texans. Only seven teams in the league have allowed more passing yards per game than the 226.9 the Texans allow. The Texans come to Giants Stadium fresh off allowing Bills quarterback J.P. Losman to throw for 340 yards.

After Houston, the Jets face five more teams with current losing records. Including the Texans, the cumulative record of the Jets' final five opponents is 21-39.

If Pennington can't turn himself back into the winning quarterback he's been when healthy during his career, then Jets fans will have plenty of legitimate gripes to air to the radio hosts and whoever else will listen.
    Last edited by samwise; 11-22-2006 at 09:47 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    yeah, why should the most important position on the field ever be criticized when he plays poorly?

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Cannizzaro is a member of the Church of Penningtology?

They have friends in high places...

All League
    Whoever wrote that article is a moron.

A fat moron.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    yeah, why should the most important position on the field ever be criticized when he plays poorly?
    Criticism is one thing. Calling for his head is another.

There is no way we are 5-5 and in the playoff hunt without Chad as our starting QB. I, for one, appreciate him for that.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolJet
    Whoever wrote that article is a moron.

A fat moron.

well said, I hadn't considered that point of view.

All League
    What a great Article.. So close to the truth its not even funny.

All League
    That article shows why Mark Cannizzaro is a professional and the rest of us are just amateur Monday morning quarterbacks.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by gcherd
    That article shows why Mark Cannizzaro is a professional and the rest of us are just amateur Monday morning quarterbacks.
    I think he wrote the same article about Herm last year as he was forcing his way out of town...

Hall Of Fame
    Pennington splits with NE and the Bears and the PenningtonHateologists are calling for his head. Like the Bible say "oh yea of little faith".

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    Pennington splits with NE and the Bears and the PenningtonHateologists are calling for his head. Like the Bible say "oh yea of little faith".
    Not many are calling for his head, but if he puts up a similar performance against Houston and we lose. Then the mass calls for benching will happen..

The reason we have no running game is cause opposing D's do not respect his
    arm and hence put 8 in the box

Tough to run when your QB cannot stretch the field

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    For six straight weeks no less.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I don't think Chad should be benched, but he definately needs to start playing at a higher level.

The reason everyone is pissed at Pennington is because he cost us the Bears game. Our defense did their part, it's on Chad as the leader of the offense to do his....which he didn't.

Banned
    A week ago, Pennington and the Jets were the New York football heroes, having knocked off the big, bad Patriots in their backyard. Now the fans want to run Pennington out of town.

--UNTRUE, MOST OF US FEEL WE WON DESPITE HIS POOR PERFORMANCE

Sure, Pennington was a major reason why the Jets lost to the Bears, throwing two critical interceptions, one of which was in the Chicago end zone.

--FACT

"Physically, I feel good," Pennington insisted after the Bears game. "Mentally, experiencing this is something I haven't experienced in my career - the inconsistency part. That's something that I'm dealing with."

--THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR FROM YOUR FIELD GENERAL INTELLIGENCE QB WHO CAN'T BEAT YOU WITH HIS ARM.

Let's remember that Pennington is dealing with a running attack without a legitimate star feature back, the way Curtis Martin was for the Jets since he was acquired in 1998.

--RUNNING GAME HAS IMPROVED AS HIS PLAY HAS DECLINED... THAT'S A FACT. PATS WON TWO SUPERBOWLS WITHOUT A LEGITIMATE STAR FEATURE BACK.

In other words, the Jets do not have a single dynamic playmaker on offense who keeps opposing defensive coordinators up late at night trying to figure out ways of stopping him.

--I DIDN'T KNOW DYNAMIC OFFENSIVE PLAYMAKERS GROW ON TREES. OR THAT THEY COULD CATCH PASSES 5 FEET SHORT OR OVER THEIR HEADS WHEN THEY'RE WIDE OPEN. MUCH LIKE OUR RECIEVERS CAN'T SEEM TO DO.

This article hardly makes a strong arguement for the Penningtologists... This is like shooting fish in a barrel. With that, I am done in this thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Owned. Actually I stopped reading, I didn't realize that he resorted to the time honored Penningtology tradition of throwing other players under the bus.

Only the receivers and the RB's huh? No shots at the Oline? TE? Schott? Surely they are responsible as well..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldplanes
    The reason we have no running game is cause opposing D's do not respect his
    arm and hence put 8 in the box

Tough to run when your QB cannot stretch the field

That is exactly what I said in a previous post........ we have a good oline but the Safeties get a 5 yd headstart to our RB because they are not afraid of Chad's arm..........it's that simple can not get any simpler.......we need a Qb that can scare defenses.....or at least make them think twice before fully commiting to the run defense....

JetsFan2012
    Here's the truth, pallys:

Pennington's performance since the Jacksonville game has been inconsistent AT BEST. Last week, he looked pretty damn bad. If he continues to play this way, all the excuses in the world won't make the difference. I'm ok with Chad for now, because supposedly it's a rebuilding year. My patience for him is wearing thin, however.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanTheMaster
    Owned. Actually I stopped reading, I didn't realize that he resorted to the time honored Penningtology tradition of throwing other players under the bus.

Only the receivers and the RB's huh? No shots at the Oline? TE? Schott? Surely they are responsible as well..

It's also Mangini's fault, don't forget.

All Pro
    I blame it on the new cheerleaders..........they took penny's job and now he is a hard time dealing with it and keeps telling himself I am a football player..I am a football player........