Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am ready to admit

Practice Squad

I am ready to admit

Herm Edwards is a very good coach. He has done an unbelievable job in KC this year. He has turned their defense completely around. This is something that coaches in KC have been trying to do for the last 8 years. I was not a Herm lover when he was our coach. I thought he always got the players ready to play but that he managed games poorly and was too conservative. My main knock on Herm though was that he could never beat an elite team. Well as KC coach they have already beaten SD and Denver. I am ready to admit that I placed way too much blame on HErm for not winning against any of the "elite" teams when they were competitive in 2004. (03 and 05 were destroyed by injuries. 01 they were too old. 02 was chads 1st year)

In 04 season the Jets had the NFL's leading rusher and a stellar defense. The problem then as it is now is our noodle armed qb. The problem was not Herm, Hackett, a lack of wr's, or doug Brien: IT WAS CHAD PENNINGTON. Just like the problem right now is NOT our defense, coach, o-line, wrs, or even running backs (theyve played better as a whole). The problem remains Chad Pennington. I dont care that this was supposed to be a rebuilding year and that we werent supposed to be competitive. Guess What. We were competitive in every game except Jax. And we have a very good coach and an improving defense taht has played excellent recently. What we do not have is a QB. Chad has single handedly cost us 2 games and in the end he will have cost us a playoff spot. Chad pennington holds our team back. He did in 04 and he does now. Nothing has ever been more clear. Chad pennington needs to go.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetnut
    Herm Edwards is a very good coach. He has done an unbelievable job in KC this year. He has turned their defense completely around.
    NEWS FLASH: The 2005 Kansas City Chiefs finished 10-6 with convincing wins over the playoff-bound Patriots, Broncos, and Bengals in December. In that same month, their so-called "lousy" defense also held the Brady Patriots to 16 points, the Brees/LT Chargers to 7 points, and the Carson Palmer/Ocho Cinco Bengals to 3 points.

It's not like Herm inherited some sickly rebuilding team. One could ask how they managed to open so lamely this year; but we know the answer to that don't we? We also know what happens to Hermball teams in January too, but don't spoil the surprise.

SAR I

Practice Squad
    You are right. They were 10-6 last year. BUT theor defense sucked last year. They werent beating good teams 19-10. They had to put up 27 to win. My emphasis is how Herm has turned around their D

Hall Of Fame
    You are right. They were 10-6 last year. BUT theor defense sucked last year. They werent beating good teams 19-10. They had to put up 27 to win. My emphasis is how Herm has turned around their D
    Their team was inconsistant. It played big and then lose the easy ones.

All Pro
    Your wrong dude. They turned their defense around last year. They were still inconsistent, but they turned a huge corner.

Practice Squad
    I just checked Total defense stats on NFL.com. Last they were ranked 25 and this year they are ranked 13. Also, last year they let up 30 and 27 points in their 2 games against denver.

Banned
    Wrong. Herman is doing what he always does- run the same gameplan he authored in September 2001 vs. the Colts. Always the same, never changes.

The difference is that he's got Trent Green instead of The Shoulder and The Couch and he's got Larry Johnson in his youth instead of Curtis Martin in his old age and he's got a homefield advantage that's almost second-to-none.

I give credit to Herm for running away to the only team in the NFL that suits his awful gameplan. Good job there. But in the playoffs, against superior teams, it just doesn't work.

Watch them against Baltimore and San Diego. You'll see it there. Baltimore plays a similar Hermball style but has a better defense and will wait just as patiently as Herm does for that big turnover. San Diego puts up way too many points for Green and his ancient WR's to keep up. They end with Jacksonville at home and that too will be a crucial test for them.

The bottom line is that Herman Edwards inherited a 2001 Jets team that opened 6-1 the prior year and finished 9-7 and now has inherited a 2005 Chiefs team that was 10-6 the prior year under a Super Bowl coaching staff. When times get tough, when the team isn't playoff-caliber, Herm does nothing to improve their performance.

SAR I

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    Wrong. Herman is doing what he always does- run the same gameplan he authored in September 2001 vs. the Colts. Always the same, never changes.

The difference is that he's got Trent Green instead of The Shoulder and The Couch and he's got Larry Johnson in his youth instead of Curtis Martin in his old age and he's got a homefield advantage that's almost second-to-none.

I give credit to Herm for running away to the only team in the NFL that suits his awful gameplan. Good job there. But in the playoffs, against superior teams, it just doesn't work.

Watch them against Baltimore and San Diego. You'll see it there. Baltimore plays a similar Hermball style but has a better defense and will wait just as patiently as Herm does for that big turnover. San Diego puts up way too many points for Green and his ancient WR's to keep up. They end with Jacksonville at home and that too will be a crucial test for them.

The bottom line is that Herman Edwards inherited a 2001 Jets team that opened 6-1 the prior year and finished 9-7 and now has inherited a 2005 Chiefs team that was 10-6 the prior year under a Super Bowl coaching staff. When times get tough, when the team isn't playoff-caliber, Herm does nothing to improve their performance.

SAR I

They already beat San Diego buddy. That was my whole point. They are beating good teams. Herm is beating good teams.

Banned
    They already beat San Diego buddy. That was my whole point. They are beating good teams. Herm is beating good teams.
    They beat San Diego when they were 4-2 and Philip Rivers was having growing pains. Since then, the Chargers are 4-0 and are the NFL's offensive juggernaut. The Chargers team Herm is about to face isn't the same one he faced before Halloween.

SAR I

All Pro
    Oct 1 San Francisco Won 41-0
    Oct 8 @Arizona Won 23-20
    Oct 22 San Diego Won 30-27
    Oct 29 Seattle Won 35-28
    Nov 5 @St. Louis Won 31-17
    Nov 19 Oakland Won 17-13
    Nov 23 Denver Won 19-10

They beat a bad Denver team who are not rallying around there QB right now and they beat a San Diego team that was not living up to there potential. Otherwise, they haven't beaten anyone "good".

All Pro
    They beat San Diego when they were 4-2 and Philip Rivers was having growing pains. Since then, the Chargers are 4-0 and are the NFL's offensive juggernaut. The Chargers team Herm is about to face isn't the same one he faced before Halloween.
    Exactly. Let's see how they do against San Diego Dec.17.

SAR I
    A man of sound reasoning. I have to agree with everything you said with one exception, Herm seems to have San Diego's number.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Herm owns SD. I was glad at one point, or 3.

Practice Squad
    Watever, youre never going to give Herm credit no matter what I say. And I understand because I hated Herm from mid season in 2004 on. I called for his head every week. But the truth is, he has a formula to win football games. When he was on the Jets that formula failed miserably against teams w/ great D's. But he has shown this season that he can beat some damn good teams w/ that formula. We'll see how they do in the playoffs, but I think it's possible that he will have more success in those big games because he has Trent Green and not Chad. LJ is a monster but Curtis was great in 04 too.Chad just never made any plays.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetzIL
    A man of sound reasoning. I have to agree with everything you said with one exception, Herm seems to have San Diego's number.
    ....as does anyone else who plays Marty Schottenheimer's teams.

Marty is Herm, just with a higher-octane offense.

Remember that Herman Edwards big playoff victories came against the biggest chokers in playoff history. Marty Schottenheimer, Tony Dungy, Peyton Manning.....he was this close to beating another choker, Bill Cowher.

SAR I

Practice Squad
    I wouldn'tall Bill Cowher a choker for losing thos AFC championship games. His qb was Kordell frakin Steward. When he got Big Ben he got the job done.

....as does anyone else who plays Marty Schottenheimer's teams.

Marty is Herm, just with a higher-octane offense.

Remember that Herman Edwards big playoff victories came against the biggest chokers in playoff history. Marty Schottenheimer, Tony Dungy, Peyton Manning.....he was this close to beating another choker, Bill Cowher.

SAR I
    No disagreement here. He plays Marty-ball with the team that designed for attacking and for some reason he gets praised. But none the less he still beats San Diego and their in his division and this will still get him glory regardless of the facts.

I wouldn'tall Bill Cowher a choker for losing thos AFC championship games. His qb was Kordell frakin Steward. When he got Big Ben he got the job done.
    Big Ben is way overrated, way overrated

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by JetzIL
    Big Ben is way overrated, way overrated
    I think Big Ben is overrated but He is better than Kordell Steward. I would also take Big Ben over Chad in a heartbeat.

I think Big Ben is overrated but He is better than Kordell Steward. I would also take Big Ben over Chad in a heartbeat.
    I agree with you on Kordell, not Chad. All thing being equal, I would take Chad over Ben, that's how overrated think he is.