Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How have we been so successful on offense?

JetsInsider.com Legend

How have we been so successful on offense?

Not that we're leading the league or anything but even the decent success we've had on offense is very surprising to me. Most teams in the NFL use one phase of the offense to succeed in the other. For example, a team like Indianapolis has been able to run the ball effectively despite losing Edge because Peyton Manning can kill you in 7 seconds with an 80 yard pass to Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison. This has opened up the running game for the rookie Joseph Addai and the very average Dominic Rhodes.

On the other hand, Philip Rivers has achieved success with the Chargers because the running game has opened up the passing game for him. LT needs about 12 inches of daylight to sneak through for a 50 yard run. This threat causes defenses (primarily safeties) to cheat up towards the LOS making their defense more suseptible to the passing game.

My point is that the Jets have neither a dominant running game nor a serious deep threat in the passing game. How has a team with only a good intermediate passing attack and a very average running game achieved even the modest level of success that we have had on offense? Should we be giving a lot more credit to coaching...good schemes, playcalling, some 4th down risk taking, fewer mistakes and penalties.

I guess it is a very good sign that a team lacking some talent in key spots on offense can be having even this level of success. Just think of what we could do with a Top 5 RB or a serious deep threat?

The offense is sdesigned much better than it has been in some time. The Jets do what they can to create mismatches and some confusion on offense with alot of motion, multiple formations, etc....One thing that has been much better than in the Herm era is that on 3rd and 5 the team is making a move to throw at least to the chains not 1-2 yards in front of it and hope for the best. If the team needs to go to the back or shorter guy in that situation its not such a quick read that all of the LBs and DBs are in a position to make plays on it. They are now concerned with 3 and 4 WRs and where the TE could be on the field.....Coles and Cotchery are also playing much better and doing some impressive things with the football and that is also a major factor.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23
    Should we be giving a lot more credit to coaching...good schemes, playcalling, some 4th down risk taking, fewer mistakes and penalties.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Not that we're leading the league or anything but even the decent success we've had on offense is very surprising to me. Most teams in the NFL use one phase of the offense to succeed in the other. For example, a team like Indianapolis has been able to run the ball effectively despite losing Edge because Peyton Manning can kill you in 7 seconds with an 80 yard pass to Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison. This has opened up the running game for the rookie Joseph Addai and the very average Dominic Rhodes.

On the other hand, Philip Rivers has achieved success with the Chargers because the running game has opened up the passing game for him. LT needs about 12 inches of daylight to sneak through for a 50 yard run. This threat causes defenses (primarily safeties) to cheat up towards the LOS making their defense more suseptible to the passing game.

My point is that the Jets have neither a dominant running game nor a serious deep threat in the passing game. How has a team with only a good intermediate passing attack and a very average running game achieved even the modest level of success that we have had on offense? Should we be giving a lot more credit to coaching...good schemes, playcalling, some 4th down risk taking, fewer mistakes and penalties.

I guess it is a very good sign that a team lacking some talent in key spots on offense can be having even this level of success. Just think of what we could do with a Top 5 RB or a serious deep threat?
    3 things you can attribute this to:

1) Chad's improbabale return to form after 2 surgeries to his throwing shoulder.

2) The emergence of Cotchery as a legit starting receiver.

3) Schottenheimers execeptional performance as a first time offensive coordinator.
    B Schott was really an unknown quantity when the season started and has turned out to be a very pleasant surprise as an OC.

All 3 of these things are things the "football experts" completely discounted prior to the start of the season.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 11-30-2006 at 09:33 AM.

All League
    The Jets have had success on offense this year because they have accentuated
    Chad's strength which is his brain. That's why I believe Mangini & B Schott have
    gone so much to the no huddle offense. They've given a very smart QB plays to choose
    from while preventing the defense from changing their personnel. With the defense
    trying to catch up and figure out what the Jets are doing they really can't exploit
    Chad's arm strength.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL
    The Jets have had success on offense this year because they have accentuated
    Chad's strength which is his brain. That's why I believe Mangini & B Schott have
    gone so much to the no huddle offense. They've given a very smart QB plays to choose
    from while preventing the defense from changing their personnel. With the defense
    trying to catch up and figure out what the Jets are doing they really can't exploit
    Chad's arm strength.
    good point....Chads been great calling plays from the LOS...always wondered why herm didnt give him more freedom...oh, thats right...he's a moron!!!

dont mean to turn this into a herm bashing thread

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    No huddle offense has helped a lot imo...

But still we are in the back half of the league and no where in SD or Indy's class...

Hall Of Fame
    I think a lot of the Credit goes to Schottenheimer for working out a gameplan every week that exploits the opposing Defenses weakness.

Veteran
    I think with only a marginal running game, we have to admit that we'd have a losing record without Chad. He is calling a great game from the LOS along with Schotty. If we only had a consistent running attack we'd be 8/2. Coles and Cotchery are making the most of every pass they catch.

Banned
    I would say improved play at OL with Mangold and Ferguson added and Kendall back at G and healthy is as big a factor as anything in the improvement of the Offense.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan

1) Chad's improbabale return to form after 2 surgeries to his throwing shoulder.

3) Schottenheimers execeptional performance as a first time offensive coordinator.
    B Schott was really an unknown quantity when the season started and has turned out to be a very pleasant surprise as an OC.

All 3 of these things are things the "football experts" completely discounted prior to the start of the season.
    I think what we've seen is that the team's success offensively rides very heavily on Chad's ability to pass. When he's not sharp, lacks confidence, has difficulty making reads, such as in the Cleveland, Jacksonville and Chicago games, the offense goes down with him. The above games share a few things in common -- Chad's pass percentage was in the 50's or less, he threw for zero touchdowns, and had at least 2 interceptions. Chad's inconsistency remains a big worry for the Jets re offensive production. When he's on, he's capable of competing with the best QB's in the league; when he's off, he looks like Rex Grossman...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker
    I would say improved play at OL with Mangold and Ferguson added and Kendall back at G and healthy is as big a factor as anything in the improvement of the Offense.
    Agreed.

Hall Of Fame

I agree with this. I was not happy when the Jets 1st got Schottenhiemer because I thought, like father like son and I can't stand Marty Ball. But his son has done a terrific job in designing an offense with lots of looks and and he has for the most part done some great play calling. I'm very impressed by this young guy.

All League
    I also believe having the team go through two-a-days in 100 degree heat has helped the
    stamina of the o-line to keep up when we do go into the no huddle offense. You
    don't see any of our big guys dragging when we go no huddle.

All League

The Jets have a very Good QB with 2 Very Good WR's as well as having an O line coming together.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423
    The offense is sdesigned much better than it has been in some time. The Jets do what they can to create mismatches and some confusion on offense with alot of motion, multiple formations, etc....One thing that has been much better than in the Herm era is that on 3rd and 5 the team is making a move to throw at least to the chains not 1-2 yards in front of it and hope for the best. If the team needs to go to the back or shorter guy in that situation its not such a quick read that all of the LBs and DBs are in a position to make plays on it. They are now concerned with 3 and 4 WRs and where the TE could be on the field.....Coles and Cotchery are also playing much better and doing some impressive things with the football and that is also a major factor.
    There's the answer for this thread. EVERYONE take notice. It's all about great coaching that will focus on creating mismatches and then capitalizing on them. It's also taking what the defense gives you even when you can't create those mismatches. It's all about taking an aggressive approach to coaching offense and being willing to take more chances. Brian Schottenheimer was hired because of his willingness to be aggressive in his coaching which is something Mangini wanted. It's also something Jets fans haven't seen in a long time out of this team, so people are probably confused as to where it is coming from.........

3) Schottenheimers execeptional performance as a first time offensive coordinator. [/B] B Schott was really an unknown quantity when the season started and has turned out to be a very pleasant surprise as an OC.

I thought that Schottenheimer was the OC in San Diego.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage
    I thought that Schottenheimer was the OC in San Diego.
    Schott was the QB coach, Cam Cameron was the OC.

Veteran
    Here is why are offense is much improved:

1. Addition of Nick Mangold, DBRICK, and Clement:
    alot more time to throw the football

2. A healthy Chad Pennigton:

3. Cotchery has turend into a top flight reciever and in turn has
    made coles more valuable

4. Shottenheimer has been terrific in keeping the offense fresh and
    has kept teams off balance all year

5. Mangini: The attitude has been to be very aggresive and that has made
    the offense more dangerous.

DJR44

Banned

I dont think you are giving our players enough credit. they are not average and intermidiate. We have big play ability but this year we are starting from scratch. its taken time for people to gel together and get used to the new playbook new oline new running backs. I anticipate Next year for our offense to be top 5 top 10. Im excited for Leon and Cedric cause they are going to be big time for us in the future.