Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Elite Teams

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,798

    Elite Teams

    We've done a lot of talking about the Jets not being an elite team yet. Or just about who is an elite team in general.

    What I'm wondering is, right now, who is an elite team in your opinion?

    I do not see any team in this league right now that can't be beaten.

    The Colts just lost to the titans, and had it not been for a great peyton manning comeback he'd have lost to them twice, and us once.

    The Patriots almost lost to the lions, we beat them, and they just aren't playing dominating football.

    The Bears are a team that can be beaten if you minimize the mistakes. Make Grossman make them and they're beatable.

    I would say that right now, there is no elite team, and I believe the closest thing to it right now is the Chargers, then maybe Baltimore.

    Anyone have any thoughts on who they think is an elite team?

  2. #2
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,261
    You're right, lots of parity in the league. Not a lot of teams that consistently win. But we're playing well and we can beat any team in the league if we play our a-game. If I were on an opposing team, I wouldn't want to face the Jets in round 1 of the playoffs.

    And as far as elite teams, the Chargers are clearly the best team in the NFL.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    You're right, lots of parity in the league. Not a lot of teams that consistently win. But we're playing well and we can beat any team in the league if we play our a-game. If I were on an opposing team, I wouldn't want to face the Jets in round 1 of the playoffs.

    And as far as elite teams, the Chargers are clearly the best team in the NFL.
    Chargers have yet to show any real chinks in the armor. However, I wonder about them in the playoffs... Lack of experience for rivers could hurt badly. The showed a lot by not losing a step w. the loss of Merriman though.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,289
    We look good. We are contender. We will make the playoffs... But no no no, we are not elite.

  5. #5
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,321
    ... colts are an elite team even with today's performance ...

    ... unfortunately the pats are an elite team ...

    ... chicago has 2 out of 3 units in spec teams & D that are elite, but grossman is holding them back ...

    ... i agree on san diego although marty is the king of conservative & playing not to lose which should cost them in the playoffs ...

    ... not quite as high on balt as you are ...

    ... if romo is lights out today and they handle the G-men soundly they are becoming an elite team ...

    ... the jets are definitely moving in the right direction at the right time of year, although we have to be more consistent with stopping the run between the tackles if we are to make any postseason noise ...


    l_j_r

  6. #6
    hey, the Jets love to play in San Diego...especially post season...

    Bring on the Schottenheimer Family Reunion!

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,168
    There is no dominant team in the NFL this year, whoever wins 3 (perhaps 4)in a row at the end of the year will be Champ. And that's it

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,798
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules
    ... colts are an elite team even with today's performance ...

    ... unfortunately the pats are an elite team ...

    ... chicago has 2 out of 3 units in spec teams & D that are elite, but grossman is holding them back ...

    ... i agree on san diego although marty is the king of conservative & playing not to lose which should cost them in the playoffs ...

    ... not quite as high on balt as you are ...

    ... if romo is lights out today and they handle the G-men soundly they are becoming an elite team ...

    ... the jets are definitely moving in the right direction at the right time of year, although we have to be more consistent with stopping the run between the tackles if we are to make any postseason noise ...


    l_j_r
    Romo has two picks already. Seems like the Gmen just have his #.

    I wasn't just considering today's performance when talking about the colts. We nearly had them, they almost lost the the titans once before... If Peyton manning doesn't have a good game, it's rare, then this team has nothing. Their defense won't ever stop you.

    I don't know how anyone can call the Pats an elite team right now, they've got a solid record, but much like the Jets, they're benefiting from a relatively easy schedule. They have not played extremely inspired football.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,798
    Quote Originally Posted by duitmawae
    hey, the Jets love to play in San Diego...especially post season...

    Bring on the Schottenheimer Family Reunion!
    you'll regret that if we do play them. We're not ready for LT just yet.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,654
    Quote Originally Posted by EricYellin
    We've done a lot of talking about the Jets not being an elite team yet. Or just about who is an elite team in general.

    What I'm wondering is, right now, who is an elite team in your opinion?

    I do not see any team in this league right now that can't be beaten.

    The Colts just lost to the titans, and had it not been for a great peyton manning comeback he'd have lost to them twice, and us once.

    The Patriots almost lost to the lions, we beat them, and they just aren't playing dominating football.

    The Bears are a team that can be beaten if you minimize the mistakes. Make Grossman make them and they're beatable.

    I would say that right now, there is no elite team, and I believe the closest thing to it right now is the Chargers, then maybe Baltimore.

    Anyone have any thoughts on who they think is an elite team?
    Elite teams are those where people say "if such and such happened, they'd have lost". The other teams say "if such and such happened, they'd have won".

    No team is unbeatable. Football is a game of inches - elite teams are those that end up on the positive side of that equation more than the others.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules
    ... colts are an elite team even with today's performance ...

    ... unfortunately the pats are an elite team ...

    ... chicago has 2 out of 3 units in spec teams & D that are elite, but grossman is holding them back ...

    ... i agree on san diego although marty is the king of conservative & playing not to lose which should cost them in the playoffs ...

    ... not quite as high on balt as you are ...

    ... if romo is lights out today and they handle the G-men soundly they are becoming an elite team ...

    ... the jets are definitely moving in the right direction at the right time of year, although we have to be more consistent with stopping the run between the tackles if we are to make any postseason noise ...


    l_j_r
    i do not think the Jets are an elite team but i do think they are btter than dallas

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,714
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR
    Elite teams are those where people say "if such and such happened, they'd have lost". The other teams say "if such and such happened, they'd have won".

    No team is unbeatable. Football is a game of inches - elite teams are those that end up on the positive side of that equation more than the others.
    Bingo

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,511
    Quote Originally Posted by EricYellin
    you'll regret that if we do play them. We're not ready for LT just yet.
    VERY VERY true...we make average rushers look good, imagine what LT would do against us? I think what really sucks is even if we make the playoffs it is just too improbable for us to go far...we have to win too many games in a row in the regular season by the time the post season comes along we will be bound to lose a game no matter who we play...i guess the "ideal" situation would be to have the last game of the regular season not matter and play our reserves but unfortunately that is a VERY unlikely scenario.

  14. #14
    Are there any elite teams in the NFL? One week we see a team like the Ravens dismantle the Steelers and look elite. The next week they cant do a thing against an awful Cincy defense. Ive thrown the word elite around alot this season for a few teams at the top of the league. None of them are.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,079
    Quote Originally Posted by EricYellin
    Chargers have yet to show any real chinks in the armor. However, I wonder about them in the playoffs... Lack of experience for rivers could hurt badly. The showed a lot by not losing a step w. the loss of Merriman though.
    I agree on both ends. The Charges are the best team in the NFL and they should be a big question mark in the playoffs. I would put that more on Marty than Rivers. He will likely be the worst postseason HC this postseason.

    As crazy as this seems, I hope the Chargers are the 3rd seed and the Jets are the 6th so they play in the first round. I think the Jets match up well with them. I'm concerned about Baltimore in the 1st round against the Jets as well as the Pats. Of course I'm getting ahead of myself, but that's what fans do. I don't care whom the Jets face so long as they get in.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,798
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR
    Elite teams are those where people say "if such and such happened, they'd have lost". The other teams say "if such and such happened, they'd have won".

    No team is unbeatable. Football is a game of inches - elite teams are those that end up on the positive side of that equation more than the others.
    oh I know... but these teams also have those losses in there as well. Had the Colts won today, I might take a slightly different position on them.

    But they ALMOST lost to the titans, and then the DID lose to the titans.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,654
    Quote Originally Posted by EricYellin
    oh I know... but these teams also have those losses in there as well. Had the Colts won today, I might take a slightly different position on them.

    But they ALMOST lost to the titans, and then the DID lose to the titans.
    I guess it comes down to how you define "elite". Before free agency it would have been the dynasties - Dallas, SF and the like. Now with there being a lot more parity, there's a thinner line between being elite and making up the numbers. And that's where a few bad losses, or a few good wins, can make all the difference. Which is what the NFL wants - every game matters.

    How good do you think the Titans fans must be feeling now? Everyone expected them to suck (along with the Jets) and they're going about beating teams that they "shouldn't". OK, they're not going to the playoffs this year, but they're improving much faster than most people expected.

    (I wonder how many Titan fans are sitting working out the permutations of making the playoffs at 9-7? )

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Windsor NJ, Brooklyn born & raised
    Posts
    4,981
    PLEASE....surely you're not thinking of the Jets with the "E" word?

  19. #19
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110
    There are no more elite teams.


    The last team that was truly elite was the Patriots (2003-2004)

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    41,582
    You're not gonna blow teams out every week in the NFL, it doesn't work that way in pro football, especially this salary cap/free agency era, but if you can win six in a row as the Chargers have, and you have one of the Greatest RB's who ever lived, and you have the best TE in the league, and you have one of the best young QB's in the league, and you have a legit impact player on defense like Merriman, and you have an outstanding NT to anchor your 34 defense like Jamal Williams, well, you get the point, that's a very tough team to beat .. and that probably constitutes an elite team in the 21st Century

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us