Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: LA Times reporting Ohio State-Florida in title game....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

OT: LA Times reporting Ohio State-Florida in title game....

Florida vaults to No. 2 in BCS, will play Ohio State for national title
    USC likely to face Michigan in the Rose Bowl.
    By Chris Dufresne, Times Staff Writer
    12:54 PM PST, December 3, 2006

No. 1 Ohio State will play No. 2 Florida, not Michigan, for the Bowl Championship Series national title on Jan. 8 in Glendale, Ariz.

According to a BCS source, Florida moved from fourth to second today ahead of No. 3 Michigan in the final BCS standings.

An official announcement will come this evening in a televised unveiling on Fox.

ADVERTISEMENT

The news means that USC will play Michigan, not Louisiana State, in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1.

LSU had pre-sold more than 42,000 tickets in advance of making its first-ever Rose Bowl appearance, but UCLA's upset win over previously No. 2 USC on Saturday, coupled with Florida's win over Arkansas in the Southeastern Conference championship game, changed the final pairings.

The BCS bowl lineup is now expected to be:

Rose: USC vs. Michigan.

Sugar: Notre Dame vs. LSU.

Orange: Louisville vs. Wake Forest.

Fiesta: Oklahoma vs. Boise State.

Florida's jump over No. 3 Michigan, which was idle Saturday and has not played since a three-point loss to No. 1 Ohio State on Nov. 18, likely will cause more uproar in BCS circles.

This will mark the fifth time in the nine-year history of the BCS that there has been controversy involving the title-game participants.

In the end, enough voters in the Harris Interactive and USA Today coaches' polls moved Florida to No. 2, ahead of Michigan, on their final ballots.

Ohio State Coach Jim Tressel released a statement today saying he did not vote in the final coaches' poll to avoid the perception of a conflict of interest.

"After consultation with my director of athletics, Gene Smith, and based on our unique position in the BCS standings, I believe it is only fair that we not participate (in) the final poll," Tressel said in a statement.

Michigan and Florida each finished the regular season with one loss, on the road. Michigan was 11-1 with its defeat at Ohio State, while 12-1 Florida lost at Auburn.

Florida picked up 66 points on Michigan in the coaches' poll and finished with a 26-point advantage.

chris.dufresne@latimes.com
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...la-home-sports

All League
    go flooooorridda

All League
    Playoffs now.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    OH- 51
    Florida - 0

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Paranoid Jet
    Playoffs now.

blech....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Good, IMO any team that was able to come out of the SEC this year with only one loss deserves to be in that game. Congrats to the Gators and their fans, I know how passionate they are and how much this means to them.

I don't think Florida is that good... I'd rather watch a Ohio State-Michigan rematch on neutral turf.

All League
    Absolute BS if true. There is no way that Florida is more deserving than Michigan. No way.

Hall Of Fame
    Would RU be in this discussion if they went undefeated or no?

All Pro
    Supposedly during the Redskin/Falcons game FOX put up a graphic about OSU/Florida on January 8th

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    Would RU be in this discussion if they went undefeated or no?
    Nope, if Florida had lost then they definitely would be. Which is why I was rooting for the Gators last night lol.

I think all of these teams should get a shot ahead of Michigan. Michigan had their chance and got beat. The game wasnt as close as the score was. Is Michigan better than Florida? I think so, but these other 1 loss schools deserve the chance moreso than Michigan the way the curent system is set up.

Veteran
    Until the Big 10 decides to do a conference championship game, their teams will suffer in the polls during the last week of the season.

All League
    Michigan had their chance, good.

As for Gators not being deserving, they just won the toughest conference in College Football, and played the hardest schedule. They absolutely deserve it, not to mention Michigan already lost to OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet
    Absolute BS if true. There is no way that Florida is more deserving than Michigan. No way.

that's crazy, the SEC is the best conference in country hands down, and Florida won it with just one loss, plus Michigan didn't even win their conference

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanmack
    that's crazy, the SEC is the best conference in country hands down, and Florida won it with just one loss, plus Michigan didn't even win their conference
    And a loss on the road to Auburn, it's not like Florida is undeserving. They won the toughest conference in the nation (by far) and did it by beating yet another top ten country in the last week of the season.

Banned
    i thought it should be LSU

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by WAke Forest jets fan
    i thought it should be LSU

They werent even in the SEC title game

All Pro
    W0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0oTT

Great coaching job by Meyer. Offense isn't what he wants but the team is always prepared, his sound in al facets of the game(not just offense), and they recruited well.

Ginn and Gonzo are going to expose the shyt out out CBs- Nelson is going to have to be everywhere.

But I also don't think Smith has seen to many Front 7s with the speed out defense has.

Offensively, we just need to keep putting the ball in the hads of our playmakers and Leak needs to not be Leak-ish.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider
    W0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0oTT

Great coaching job by Meyer. Offense isn't what he wants but the team is always prepared, his sound in al facets of the game(not just offense), and they recruited well.

Ginn and Gonzo are going to expose the shyt out out CBs- Nelson is going to have to be everywhere.

But I also don't think Smith has seen to many Front 7s with the speed out defense has.

Offensively, we just need to keep putting the ball in the hads of our playmakers and Leak needs to not be Leak-ish.
    You are such a Gator whore.