Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets O-line

Banned

Jets O-line

Another Great Job by the Jets O-line today

Biamila, Kampman, Pickett, Hawk .. the Packers suck, but these guys can get after the QB, that's definitely not one of their problems .. but NOT TODAY, Zero Sacks, as once again Brick, Mangold, Kendall, Moore and Clement continue to protect Chad Pennington like the hope-diamond

So while we praise this team for an awesome performance today, let's acknowledge yet another great performance by that awesome Jets O-line
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 12-03-2006 at 08:36 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham

Biamila, Kampman, Pickett, Hawk .. the Packers suck, but these guys can get after the QB, that's definitely not one of their problems .. but NOT TODAY, Zero Sacks, as once again Brick, Mangold, Kendall, Moore and Clement continue to protect Chad Pennington like the hope-diamond

So while we praise this team for an awesome performance today, let's acknowledge yet another great performance by that awesome Jets O-line

Don't forget to credit new Jet O-Line Coach Tony Wise. I had my doubts about this guy going into the season but he has done a good job of transitioning the young kids. His signing by the Jets looks to be the best off-season move this year.

Hall Of Fame
    The OL is starting to play as a unit. They are making holes for the runners and keeping Chad safe until he finds his receivers. The play calling has kept the defenders guessing. I like the Brad Smith reverse today.

great job

Its amazing what the addition of Mangold and Ferguson have done for this team. All season long Chad has gone basically untouched. Such a difference from last season when it was a jailbreak every play. Mangold deserves to go to the pro bowl and hes been as impressive as any rookie in the NFL this year. Great job.

All Pro
    I'm glad these guys are getting love. What a difference they make. The young guys will be a solid foundation to build upon for a decade.

Brandon Moore is the name you least hear getting love. It's always D'Brick, Mangold our highly touted first rounders, Kendall-our cagey mentor, and Clement our successful waiver find. I'm not gonna lie and say I watch our RG all game but the fact that you never hear his name is a good thing for an offensive lineman.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423

Its amazing what the addition of Mangold and Ferguson have done for this team. All season long Chad has gone basically untouched. Such a difference from last season when it was a jailbreak every play. Mangold deserves to go to the pro bowl and hes been as impressive as any rookie in the NFL this year. Great job.
    An award like OROY is basically a "Skill Position" award, its a built-in bias, otherwise Nick Mangold and Brick Ferguson would be in a two horse race .. Colston had it wrapped up early, but he's missed the last two weeks with an injury and the Brick/Mangold duo would have leaped to the forefront if not for such an inherent skill position bias

That aside, last week I posted my AFC Pro Bowl squad - I had Brick at LT and Mangold at C - all I saw today was further evidence that I need not apologize for either of those selections

Hall Of Fame
    As always games are won up front. The Jets are beginning to CONSISTENTLY win up front. This is great news for the team. If they keep this level of play up they are VERY capable of winning out.

I can't remember the last time the Jets won up front consistently...Can you?

I would love for Mangold to win OROY....But as you said, that's a skill position award......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet

I would love for Mangold to win OROY....But as you said, that's a skill position award......
    Well its not supposed to be exclusively a skill position award MJ, that's just a built-in bias .. yet with Colston getting hurt I don't see any skill position rookies who would blow the voters away, so maybe they'll actually consider an OL this year, and if they do Mangold and Brick are the front-runners

In fairness the kid from SD will get some consideration as well, Marcus McNeil
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 12-03-2006 at 09:40 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Well its not supposed to be exclusively a skill position award MJ, that's just a built-in bias .. yet with Colston getting hurt I don't see any skill position rookies who would blow the voters away, so maybe they'll actually consider and OL this year, and if they do Mangold and Brick are the front-runners
    The real problem is the nature of the position Mangold plays. If your name gets mentioned you are not playing well. If it doesn't get mentioned then you are playing well but you are also forgotten.....Sucks for Olineman to achieve many accolades............

Banned

The real problem is the nature of the position Mangold plays. If your name gets mentioned you are not playing well. If it doesn't get mentioned then you are playing well but you are also forgotten.....Sucks for Olineman to achieve many accolades............
    That's true of the fans, but not of the league insiders .. GM's, Coaches, Players, etc .. those cats all know Mangold and Brick have been lights-out for the Jets this year, and the media {at least in NY} knows it too

That aside, last week I posted my AFC Pro Bowl squad - I had Brick at LT and Mangold at C - all I saw today was further evidence that I need not apologize for either of those selections
    That's why it's never a mistake to draft offensive linemen in the first round. C. Houston had lanes to run for 100 yards and 2 TD's, Pennington could step into his throws and not worry about hearing footsteps (thanks to D-Brick) and our defense is fresh, thanks to the O-line keeping them off the field.

Hall Of Fame
    That's true of the fans, but not of the league insiders .. GM's, Coaches, Players, etc .. those cats all know Mangold and Brick have been lights-out for the Jets this year, and the media {at least in NY} knows it too
    Well who does OROY voting then? Because whom ever has been doing that CONSISTENTLY over looks great candidates who play in the trenches. It happens time and time again in the NFL..........

Example: Orlando Pace has been a stud ever since he hit the league. Did he win OROY??? I strangely doubt he did..........

I want to see how good that oline is. Last game against the Raiders defense that group will be severly tested. UNbelievable dominating performance against the Texans today by the Raiders defense. 124 yards of total offense and net total of - 5 passing yards and Raiders still lose by 9 points. UNBelievable.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Great game by the line. Only bad play was the one where D'Brick whiffed and didn't get a hand on KGB and he hit Pennington on the play where he threw the INT.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175
    I want to see how good that oline is. Last game against the Raiders defense that group will be severly tested. UNbelievable dominating performance against the Texans today by the Raiders defense. 124 yards of total offense and net total of - 5 passing yards and Raiders still lose by 9 points. UNBelievable.

Haha. What a pathetic team the Raiders are. #32 in the league. 4 consecutive seasons in last place. We'll be smashing the Faiders face into the turf for 60 minutes on New Years Eve.

Banned

Well who does OROY voting then? Because whom ever has been doing that CONSISTENTLY over looks great candidates who play in the trenches. It happens time and time again in the NFL..........

Example: Orlando Pace has been a stud ever since he hit the league. Did he win OROY??? I strangely doubt he did..........
    You're missing the point, MJ .. I said there's an inherent bias in favor of the skill position players, and there's usually at least one standout candidate at the skill positions who clinches the OROY .. that's why OL's like Pace are usually overlooked .. but because there is no standout candidate at the SP's this year, that might open the door for an OL

Colston was the favorite, but now he's been on the shelf for two weeks with an injury
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 12-03-2006 at 09:59 PM.

Well its not supposed to be exclusively a skill position award MJ, that's just a built-in bias .. yet with Colston getting hurt I don't see any skill position rookies who would blow the voters away, so maybe they'll actually consider an OL this year, and if they do Mangold and Brick are the front-runners

In fairness the kid from SD will get some consideration as well, Marcus McNeil
    It will be interesting to see who they give it to. If I had to guess Im going to say Vince Young even though he hasnt blown everyone away. His team has played so well since he came on board and hes a huge name. The other candidates would be Colston, who as you said is injured, and Addai, who has been up and down and has the benefit of playing with Manning. Personally I think Mangold has been more impressive than all of them, but I know he has no hope of winning. I just wonder if hell get a few votes. Hes picked up alot of steam with the media these past few weeks when they do the Jet games and talk about him as the standout on the line.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423

It will be interesting to see who they give it to. If I had to guess Im going to say Vince Young even though he hasnt blown everyone away. His team has played so well since he came on board and hes a huge name. The other candidates would be Colston, who as you said is injured, and Addai, who has been up and down and has the benefit of playing with Manning. Personally I think Mangold has been more impressive than all of them, but I know he has no hope of winning. I just wonder if hell get a few votes. Hes picked up alot of steam with the media these past few weeks when they do the Jet games and talk about him as the standout on the line.
    Vince Young has been up and down, not uncommon for a rookie QB

Reggie Bush has started to come on strong as of late, but he was pretty quiet for awhile

Colston was the obvious favorite, but now he's on the shelf with an injury

I don't think an OL will win OROY either, not with the inherent bias towards the SP's, but if an OL ever had a shot, a realistic shot, this could be the year?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

Great game by the line. Only bad play was the one where D'Brick whiffed and didn't get a hand on KGB and he hit Pennington on the play where he threw the INT.
    Geez, common buzz, you gotta be realistic .. the other guys get paid too and KGB is an elite edge rusher .. he didn't even register a sack, he basically registered one noticable pressure all day, and that's what you choose to focus on

You know I luv ya, buzz, but that's being a tough critic man