Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As Of Right Now: JETS ARE IN!

All League

As Of Right Now: JETS ARE IN!

This is how it breaks down. We have 5 teams at 7-5 for the two wildcard spots.

In this scenario, head-to-head wins are thrown out the window. Now to the first factor.

Division cases are sorted out first. Kansas City knocks Denver from the equation. This happens because the Chiefs have split with Denver, and hold a better divisional record (3-1 to 3-2). Therefore, the Chiefs are in the four-team tie and the Broncos are out.

Now, the next thing is AFC record.

Jacksonville | 4-4
    Cincinnati | 5-3
    Kansas City | 3-5
    New York Jets | 5-4

The Jets and Bengals would grade out as the best two teams, and hold the two wildcard spots.
    Last edited by CV 40; 12-04-2006 at 12:02 AM.

So the head-to-head loss to the Jags doesn't matter even if they are the only team in their division included in this tiebreaker?

Practice Squad
    The Jets and Jags aren't in the same division.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan1983
    So the head-to-head loss to the Jags doesn't matter even if they are the only team in their division included in this tiebreaker?
    Sorta. The head-to-head doesn't matter when there are a 3 or more teams tied for the wildcard.

All League
    With a multiple-team tie, head-to-head victories don't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    right, but if the Jets and Jags were the only 2 teams looking for one spot, they would get it because of the head-to-head loss

Quote Originally Posted by CV 40
    Thx

Practice Squad
    right, but if the Jets and Jags were the only 2 teams looking for one spot, they would get it because of the head-to-head loss
    Yes, in that scenario, the Jags would get in.

Banned
    This is how it breaks down. We have 5 teams at 7-5 for the two wildcard spots.

In this scenario, head-to-head wins are thrown out the window. Now to the first factor.

Division cases are sorted out first. Kansas City knocks Denver from the equation. This happens because the Chiefs have split with Denver, and hold a better divisional record (3-1 to 3-2). Therefore, the Chiefs are in the four-team tie and the Broncos are out.

Now, the next thing is AFC record.

Jacksonville . 4-4
    Cincinnati . 5-3
    Kansas City . 3-5
    New York Jets . 5-4

The Jets and Bengals would grade out as the best two teams, and hold the two wildcard spots.

not to doubt you, but can some others confirm the scenario listed above? i just never knew that the kc/denver division stuff was used to weed out one of them first, i don't think i ever read about that. but i'll definitely take it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    He didn't say that. For the WC with more than 2 teams tied, the division tie-breaker is first and KC and Denver are in the same division. KC has the tie breaker over them so Denver is eliminated from the WC tiebreaker. KC goes in with Cincy, Jags and the Jets. The teams with the 2 best conference records are in.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS_for_life
    not to doubt you, but can some others confirm the scenario listed above? i just never knew that the kc/denver division stuff was used to weed out one of them first, i don't think i ever read about that. but i'll definitely take it.
    From ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...ge=tiebreakers

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
    If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
    1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
    2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Three or More Clubs(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
    1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the three Wild-Card participants.
    2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in conference games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin toss.

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2, and repeated a third time, if necessary, to identify the third Wild Card. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS_for_life
    It is not a well-known concept, but it is NFL rule. We are in right now my friend. I have followed the NFL tie-breaking rules

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    From ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...ge=tiebreakers

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
    If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
    1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
    2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Three or More Clubs(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
    1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the three Wild-Card participants.
    2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in conference games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin toss.

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2, and repeated a third time, if necessary, to identify the third Wild Card. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.
    Based on this info, we are in!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I stated this last week and I'll state it again. If the Jets run the table. They will make the playoffs. I know that I am not technically correct but if they get to 11. They will get in.

There are some things that favor the Jets right now.

You've got 5 teams at 7 and 5 for two available spots.

Cincinnati, Denver, KC, Jacksonville and of course the Jets.

Denver has to play San Diego and Cincy.

Kansas City has to play Jacksonville, Baltimore and San Diego.

Jacksonville has to play KC, Indy, New England and at Tennessee.

Cincy has to play at Indy and at Denver.

These teams are going to knock each other off.

If The Jets run the table. They will get into the playoffs.

All Pro
    Yes. If one team finishes 11-5 and the Jets and Jags finish 10-6 we would lose the head-to-head tiebreaker.

When 3 or more teams finish in a tie, the first thing they do is check if any two or more teams are from the same division. If they are, they have a division tiebreaker to determine which team survives.

Then, if there are still 3 or 4 teams (all from different divisions) they go to a conference tie-breaker as shown in the rules above.

Since the Jets will be the only AFC East wildcard contender, (1) doesn't matter. Since we won't be playing the Chiefs, Bengals, or Broncos, (2) doesn't matter. If it comes down to 3 or 4 teams, once either the Chiefs or Broncos are knocked out under division tiebreakers, it comes down to conference records as CV40 said.

Here's the full link: http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by YJF
    I stated this last week and I'll state it again. If the Jets run the table. They will make the playoffs. I know that I am not technically correct but if they get to 11. They will get in.

There are some things that favor the Jets right now.

You've got 5 teams at 7 and 5 for two available spots.

Cincinnati, Denver, KC, Jacksonville and of course the Jets.

Denver has to play San Diego and Cincy.

Kansas City has to play Jacksonville, Baltimore and San Diego.

Jacksonville has to play KC, Indy, New England and at Tennessee.

Cincy has to play at Indy and at Denver.

These teams are going to knock each other off.

If The Jets run the table. They will get into the playoffs.

The stage is perfectly set for us.

Now it's our chance to take it.

Banned
    It is not a well-known concept, but it is NFL rule. We are in right now my friend. I have followed the NFL tie-breaking rules
    nice!!!!!

so right now it would be @ baltimore, because baltimore has a better conference record than NE...but for some reason, i'd rather play @ NE again

Hall Of Fame
    That is not necessarily true. Say the Jaguars, Bengals and Jets all win out and tie at 11-5. Cincinnati gets in with the first wildcard spot, since they have only three conference losses. Once they are in, the Jags get in ahead of the Jets for the second wildcard slot, since they beat the Jets head to head.

Root for Denver to beat Cincinnati and KC to beat Jacksonville - if the Jets win out and end up in a three way tie breaker with Denver & KC, they are in without thought being required because Denver & KC are in the same division.

If either Denver or KC lose those games, the Jets might be in trouble.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it
    That is not necessarily true. Say the Jaguars, Bengals and Jets all win out and tie at 11-5. Cincinnati gets in with the first wildcard spot, since they have only three conference losses. Once they are in, the Jags get in ahead of the Jets for the second wildcard slot, since they beat the Jets head to head.
    According to NFL rule, that would not be the case. The Jets would still be in if they held the better AFC conference record, which they do now. I'm not looking down to road right now. Look at YJF's post, these teams will knock each other out, the path is set up perfectly for us.

And our two toughest games IMO, the Bills and Dolphins, both lost today, taking the wind out of their sales and eliminating them both from playoff competition.

We are in the best position out of all the Wildcard Teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it

Root for Denver to beat Cincinnati and KC to beat Jacksonville - if the Jets win out and end up in a three way tie breaker with Denver & KC, they are in without thought being required because Denver & KC are in the same division.

If either Denver or KC lose those games, the Jets might be in trouble.
    If Jacksonville runs the table and gets to 11 and 5. Then god bless them. They deserve a playoff spot. If they can beat Indy and New England at home and then go into Tennessee and KC and win. Then they will have earned that playoff spot.

No guarantee that Cincy runs the table either. They gotta go into Indy and Denver and win. They should beat Oakland but that finale against Pittsburgh is tricky. Steelers hate the Bengals and would love to knock them out of the playoffs. It would make their season. Pittsburgh should have beat them the first time.