Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Schiano to meet with Miami Monday(Merged)

All League

OT: Schiano to meet with Miami Monday

Not good ,Not good

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2685494

After coming within a 52-yard field goal of bringing Rutgers its first Big East title in school history, Greg Schiano has risen to the top of many schools' wish lists this holiday season. And it looks like Miami will be his first suitor.

Miami athletic director Paul Dee plans to discuss the Hurricanes' coaching vacancy with Schiano on Monday, the Newark Star-Ledger reported on its Web site Sunday night. Dee told Rutgers AD Bob Mulcahy on Sunday of his intention to contact Schiano, the newspaper reported, citing two sources who had been in contact with Mulcahy.

Schiano has a pre-existing relationship with Dee, having served as Miami's defensive coordinator from 1999-2000. Whether that relationship will affect Schiano's decision, however, is mere speculation at this point.

Miami has been in the market for a coach since the school fired Larry Coker on Nov. 24, a day after the Hurricanes beat No. 18 Boston College 17-14 to salvage a 6-6 season. Coker, 59-15 with one national championship in his six years in Coral Gables, will coach the Canes in the MPC Computers Bowl on Dec. 31.

Rutgers has accepted an invitation to the Texas Bowl on Dec. 28 in Houston, where the Knights will take on Kansas State.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Schiano can either fall on the sword for RU....or strike while the iron is hot. Passing up an opportunity like this is something that a lot of people would regret down the line. I do think Miami is simply too messy of a situation right now....but in adversity comes opportunity. Just ask Eric Mangini when he stepped into this disaster! A little success when expectations are low can light a fire!

Veteran
    We ALL knew it was coming! Schiano HAS the history, and NOW he has the "name" to resurrect the U of Miami football program. Why wouldn't he leave Rutgers? Just the "marketability" of "The U" will make recruiting "blue-chip" players that much easier. Not to mention that the State of Florida is a breeding ground for premier athletes!!! Good Luck to him!

All League
    It would be a big mistake on his part.
    He's built this Rutgers program from ground up...
    He now has the recruits in place to challenge for the big east
    for the next few years...

At Miami it's a total rehaul and he if he doesn't turn the program around,
    he looks like a chump...

It's not going to happen.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman

Paging Herman Edwards..We have a Team for you!!
    Last edited by Savage69; 12-04-2006 at 08:10 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23
    Schiano can either fall on the sword for RU....or strike while the iron is hot. Passing up an opportunity like this is something that a lot of people would regret down the line. I do think Miami is simply too messy of a situation right now....but in adversity comes opportunity. Just ask Eric Mangini when he stepped into this disaster! A little success when expectations are low can light a fire!
    But won't expectations always be high at Miami?

All League

he looks like a chump...

he could work half as hard and get better recruits at Miami. He will work as hard and he'll get Championship recruits where he'll have a chance at the nat'l Title every year.

I look at it this way. It took Schiano 7 years just to build Rutgers into a respectable program. If he left for Miami, in the next 7 years he may have 2 national titles. If it were a job that would be parallel to Rutgers I think he should definitely stay, but there maybe 5 to 10 jobs out there that he should RU in a heartbeat to go and U of Miami is one of them.

I understand Miami is a mess right now but that's one of the easiest programs to turn around, and between Schiano's recruiting ability and Miami's history to be able to get these players anyways, it would be a wise career move on his part.

Hall Of Fame

he looks like a chump...

sorry bro, but that was one of the biggest homer comments I have ever seen

did you seriously just say that he has everything in place to CHALLENGE for the Big freakin' East???? lmao, thats hysterical

at the U he will have the opportunity to challenge for the national title, maybe not right away but sooner than he ever would in Jersey, I respect what he has done there tremendously but come on now, at the end of teh day Rutgers will still be Rutgers and Miami will still be MIami.......you're talking two different leagues completely

look at Urban Myer's comments about getting to Florida, he said that his worst player on Florida was better than the best player he ever had before coming there

Schiano is noble and all and has done incredible things for Rutgers but Miami is one of teh better jobs in teh country, the team may have fallen apart but he is still in a much better position than Butch was when he came and teh team was on probation and he won a National title and gave another to Coker in his first year

my opinion, Sciano is crazy not to take this job and the fat check taht will go with it, the man is a great coach and great recruiter and will get the opportunity to sit in living rooms taht he never would hav ethe chance to sit as as HC of Rutgers

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    did you seriously just say that he has everything in place to CHALLENGE for the Big freakin' East???? lmao, thats hysterical
    You're kidding me, right? He was a bad non-call(fumble) away from not only challenging, but winning the BE outright. Where are all the geniuses who said he had no chance against the Louisvilles and West Virginias?

All Pro
    Im not a RU fan but if I was the most positive thing I could say with this is this meetings gives you parameters for a new deal because without urgency there isnt as great incentive to give Schiano a new deal.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Is anyone remotely surprised by this?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2

No not at all.

The question is, will Rutgers go back to the gutter if/when he leaves?

All League
    I think GS should stay at RU

I think GS will stay at RU

Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2
    No. I heartily believe, though, if Rutgers beat WV and got the BCS money ($16.5 million?) instead of the Texas bowl on Dec 28th (free airfare, hotel, and continental breakfast) Schiano chances for staying would be much greater. He's hot as hell, at this point it might be foolish for him to stay.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetcane
    I think GS should stay at RU

I think GS will stay at RU

Not if Miami throws enough money at him.

Many sports fans expect loyalty from players and coaches, but in the end it's almost always about money.

Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx
    No not at all.

The question is, will Rutgers go back to the gutter if/when he leaves?
    We need to get Gandolfini to force a big name coach to come here

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan
    We need to get Gandolfini to force a big name coach to come here

Tom Coughlin might be available.

Hall Of Fame
    RJF is going to be crushed.

Schiano is as good as gone IMO.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by savage69
    Paging Herman Edwards..We have a Team for you!!
    Herm Edwards would make an EXCELLENT college coach.

Just saw that and wanted to point it out.