Thread: True Playoff Picture

Practice Squad

Question True Playoff Picture

i know some people are asking if we are in or not in as of right now and there have been a few different answers, but i found this on espn.com and think it is probably more reliable then some of our best guesses (HA HA), so i thought i would share it. so sorry if this has been posted already

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2668613

SO YES AS OF NOW WE ARE IN. WE CONTROL OUR OWN FATE THATS THE BOTTOME LINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All League
    The Jets would be the No. 6 seed based on better conference record than the Jaguars and the Chiefs
    Makes the Bills and Fins games even more important, and the Pats win could get sweeter

All Pro
    JUST WIN BABY !!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

How can that be right?? The 1st tiebreaker is head to head iisnt it? And Jax beat us.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    How can that be right?? The 1st tiebreaker is head to head iisnt it? And Jax beat us.
    Not with multiple teams involved.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JETSORBUST
    Not with multiple teams involved.
    Thats right..So is this correct? As of today we are in?

Practice Squad
    according to the standings on NFL .com we are the #6 seed which is the 2nd wildcard spot

so yes we are in as of right now

Hall Of Fame
    We win and are in, should motivate coaches and players. I see us spanking Buffalo next week.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    We win and are in, should motivate coaches and players. I see us spanking Buffalo next week.
    That not totally true..Cause if at the end Jax and the Jets are the only teams tied for the 6th spot Jax would go ahead of us.

So we dont actually control our own destiny as some have stated.

Only reason we are ahead of Jax as of now is cause mulitple teams are tied for the 6th spot..

We can win out and end up in a tie with denver alone or denver and any combination of teams that does not include KC and lose on the conference record tie breaker. We are only ahead of Denver now becuase the first tie breaker for wild-card is to eliminate multiple teams from the same division. So KC eliminates Denver before applying the conference record rule to KC, JAX, Bengal, & Jets.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    That not totally true..Cause if at the end Jax and the Jets are the only teams tied for the 6th spot Jax would go ahead of us.

So we dont actually control our own destiny as some have stated.

Only reason we are ahead of Jax as of now is cause mulitple teams are tied for the 6th spot..

stop being so damn logical..

Jax WILL lose at least one game...If we win out, weather we get in or not, what an unbleievable year it will have been

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan13
    stop being so damn logical..

Jax WILL lose at least one game...If we win out, weather we get in or not, what an unbleievable year it will have been
    No doubt, its already a great year...This team is so fun to watch.

Michael Smith says we're in.

By Michael Smith
    Lately all everybody seems to be talking about is how muddled the NFC's playoff picture is. Tell you what, after what transpired Sunday, the AFC postseason race isn't exactly crystal clear, either.
    There's now a tie for the best record in the AFC between Indianapolis and San Diego, both 10-2, meaning which team's stadium puts the "home" in homefield advantage is far from a foregone conclusion anymore (many probably assumed the Colts would be the top seed). The Colts technically are still No. 1, though, because they have one conference loss and the Chargers two.

New England got a scare but eventually survived Detroit, 28-21, improving to 9-3 and moving into a tie with the Ravens for the second-best record in the conference, a game behind the leaders. But the Ravens have a win over San Diego in their pockets, while the Patriots have a loss to Indianapolis working against them.

As for the wild cards, let's just say there are more players at the table now.

Matthew Emmons/US PRESSWIRE
    Thanks to some solid defense, the Bengals beat the Ravens and improved to 7-5.
    We now have five teams at 7-5 competing for two wild card spots. The Broncos lost Jay Cutler's debut, against Seattle, Denver's third straight loss. But the Broncos still lead the wild card derby because of a 7-3 record against AFC foes. The Bengals were written off three weeks ago. Three wins later, they're looking good at 7-5 overall and 5-3 within the conference.
    Kansas City's 31-28 loss at Cleveland dropped the Chiefs to 7-5. Bigger than that, it was the Chiefs' fifth loss to an AFC opponent, including a season-opening defeat at the hands of the Bengals. (Conference record is the second tie-breaker between non-division teams.) The New York Jets won for the third time in four games, 38-10 at Green Bay, improving to 7-5 themselves, with a 5-4 conference record, although that mark includes a loss to Jacksonville.

Those up-and-down Jaguars joined the club with a 24-10 win in Miami over the Dolphins, who had been on a four-game roll. The victory was doubly huge for the Jags -- it was just their second road win of the season and it lifted them to .500 in conference games (4-4).

Handicapping the wild card race based on the contenders' remaining schedules and what kind of football they're playing right now:

Cincinnati
    In our out? In (11-5).
    I like how the Bengals are playing, especially defensively. Cincinnati plays host to the Raiders then goes on the road to face the Colts and the Broncos before wrapping up at home with Pittsburgh. None of those games is a gimmie (is there even such a thing in the NFL?) but if I look really hard I can see the Bengals winning all four and heading into the playoffs on a seven-game winning streak.

New York Jets
    In our out? In (10-6).
    The Jets are taking care of business and feeding on the bottom feeders. They've beaten the Texans and Packers the past two weeks by a combined score of 64-21. Of their last four games, none is against a team with a winning record (Buffalo at home, at Minnesota, at Miami, Oakland at the crib). Then again, this team also lost at Cleveland back on Oct. 29. But the way the Jets went into Gillette Stadium three weeks ago and beat the Patriots and competed in loss to Chicago two weeks ago proves they're for real. Even if the remaining opponents' records aren't cause for concern, the fact that two of them are against AFC East teams means they'll have some tough games. The Jets, though, will find a way to win three of four.

Kansas City:
    In our out? Out (10-6).
    The Chiefs go home again with a 10-6 record thanks to their aforementioned poor conference record. They get the Ravens at home next week, followed by division roadies against the Chargers and Raiders, and finish up at Arrowhead with the Jags. Kansas City's capable of sweeping all four as much as they are of losing all four. I think the Chiefs win three but pick up a killer sixth AFC loss. They need too much help.

Denver
    In or out? Out (9-7).
    Next week the Broncos are at San Diego, which has won six in a row and just got Shawne Merriman back from suspension. Then the Broncos travel to Arizona, and finish with home games against the Bengals and 49ers. That's two tilts with playoff contenders and two with a couple of pesky teams from the NFC West. And all with a rookie quarterback in Cutler at the helm. Denver hasn't run the ball well lately and the defense no longer is impenetrable. I can see the Broncos losing at least two of their last four, at San Diego and at home to Cincinnati.

Jacksonville
    In our out? Out (9-7).
    The Jaguars will be lucky to split their last four. They get Indianapolis and New England at home, where Jacksonville is really tough, and Tennessee and Kansas City on the road.

Note: these opinions subject to change each week. Along with the playoff picture.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/lastca...astcall/week13

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

We win and are in, should motivate coaches and players.[I see us spanking Buffalo next week.

IMO this will be the toughest of the remaining games. I am nervous about it but not nearly as nervous as in years past. I am confident Mangini will have the team prepared.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet
    [/B]

IMO this will be the toughest of the remaining games. I am nervous about it but not nearly as nervous as in years past. I am confident Mangini will have the team prepared.
    I agree that this team seems not to look past this week's game (with the possible exception of Cleveland).

I have to agree that the Buffalo game is the one I am most nervous about. They seem to give everyone a very tough game. And Losman has been looking a little less sloppy.

Hall Of Fame
    with the 5 team tie, if the first tiebreaker is conference record, wouldn't denver's 7-3 conference record mean they get in over the jets?

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak
    with the 5 team tie, if the first tiebreaker is conference record, wouldn't denver's 7-3 conference record mean they get in over the jets?
    No. The first tiebreaker in to eliminate all but the top representative in each division before moving on to the multiteam tiebreakers. Denver, as of today, is eliminated by Kansas City due to KC's better record in the AFC West. This rule is in place so a team cant finish 3rd in their division and make the playoffs while the 2nd place team in the division misses out. The NFL puts more weight into where you stand in the division than in the conference.

Odds are Denver is going to have to finish with a better record than the Chiefs if they want to get in, unless Denver upsets San Diego. If the two teams are tied Denver has no chance if a third team is involved.

Rookie
    Looks like it all has been covered well here. I like the NFL site for identifying the playoff scenarios. It has a spreadsheet with the tiebreakers across the top, so we can always see how it is done. I know we stickeyed the playoff rules, this site should be part of it IMO.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/conference

Go JETS!!!

PS - all at the Bills game this weekend, get there early and cheer the team on. Don't let the Bills hear what play they are suppossed to run!!!