Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Jets MUST resign Chad Pennington

All League

The Jets MUST resign Chad Pennington

It is imperative that we Re-Sign Chad. I don't know what our Cap situation is, and/or What Chad is looking for... Will Chad be looking for a multi year deal? or do you think he would sign another 1 year deal with the same type of Structure (incentive laced)?

I do not like the Idea of Starting an inexperienced quarterback next year now that this team is coming together. Chad clearly runs this offense and is the leader of this football team. To lose him next year could be a huge setback for us.

Its not just the numbers, its all the little things he does at the line, and the confidence his teammates have in him. The little things go a LONG way sometimes.

Hall Of Fame
    Dude, Chad is signed for the next 5 years or so.

Dude, Chad is signed until 2011.

Hall Of Fame
    Chad isn't going anywhere. He doesn't want to go anywhere and will get it done in the off season.

All League
    Oops!! I dont know why I thought he was only on a 1 year deal...

my bad!

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Sign him through 2020 cries the Penningtonlogist...

All Pro
    Lifetime contract?

Phew. You scared me for a minute. But lets resign him in 2011!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanTheMaster
    Sign him through 2020 cries the Penningtonlogist...
    Play Clemens next week says the Proctologist haters.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    Play Clemens next week says the Proctologist haters.

OR

"Pennington is beating up on bad teams.. we should be winning these games"

No credit. People are talking as if we are the Colts or something and we should win every game vs teams with a losing record.

well I got news for them, we were just 4-12 last year and going into the season we WERE one of those teams people talk about... now we are winning and people are saying "we should beat these team anyways" ?

Bullchit... Give credit where credit is due. we are earning these wins. Nothing is easy in the NFL, just ask the Colts!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by LETSGOJETS
    It is imperative that we Re-Sign Chad. I don't know what our Cap situation is, and/or What Chad is looking for... Will Chad be looking for a multi year deal? or do you think he would sign another 1 year deal with the same type of Structure (incentive laced)?

I do not like the Idea of Starting an inexperienced quarterback next year now that this team is coming together. Chad clearly runs this offense and is the leader of this football team. To lose him next year could be a huge setback for us.

Its not just the numbers, its all the little things he does at the line, and the confidence his teammates have in him. The little things go a LONG way sometimes.
    As mentioned in other posts, Chad is not on a 1 year deal. What you were likely confused by is that Chad has a March 2007 roster bonus which must be dealt with. The team will likely pay it and he'll continue being a Jet. If they didn't want Chad, they'd cut him before the March 2007 bonus.

In any event, Chad will be the starter next year but still have to deal with the competition of Clemens. It's up to Clemens to work hard this offseason both physically and mentally to compete for the job. At this time last year did we think that Cotchery would be the WR he is now? Of course not. Cotchery worked his ass off and won the starting job. Clemens has to do the same thing if he wants to be considered. It's up to him.

Mangini believes in competition and Chad is obviously the 2007 starter. But if Clemens has a Cotchery-esque offseason then there will be a full fledged competition. A true Jet fan rather than a Pennintologist would want that. The best player playing best will play.

Hall Of Fame
    OR

"Pennington is beating up on bad teams.. we should be winning these games"

No credit. People are talking as if we are the Colts or something and we should win every game vs teams with a losing record.

well I got news for them, we were just 4-12 last year and going into the season we WERE one of those teams people talk about... now we are winning and people are saying "we should beat these team anyways" ?

Bullchit... Give credit where credit is due. we are earning these wins. Nothing is easy in the NFL, just ask the Colts!
    I agree. Every INT is analyzed to death and no credit is given to the team as a whole is improving every week and have progressed since the start of the year. Forget about the QB. The team has and is doing very well this year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    As mentioned in other posts, Chad is not on a 1 year deal. What you were likely confused by is that Chad has a March 2007 roster bonus which must be dealt with. The team will likely pay it and he'll continue being a Jet. If they didn't want Chad, they'd cut him before the March 2007 bonus.

In any event, Chad will be the starter next year but still have to deal with the competition of Clemens. It's up to Clemens to work hard this offseason both physically and mentally to compete for the job. At this time last year did we think that Cotchery would be the WR he is now? Of course not. Cotchery worked his ass off and won the starting job. Clemens has to do the same thing if he wants to be considered. It's up to him.

Mangini believes in competition and Chad is obviously the 2007 starter. But if Clemens has a Cotchery-esque offseason then there will be a full fledged competition. A true Jet fan rather than a Pennintologist would want that. The best player playing best will play.

If the Jets continue to play well and make the playoffs, I don't see how there should be any competition for the Job though... you have a Vet who took a 4-12 team to the playoffs, Why in the world should Chad have to compete for anything?

Thats like Saying Steve Mcnair is going to compete for his Job next year, or Carson Palmer has to compete.

But we still have 4 games to play.. Lets see what happens

Banned
    I disagree completely.

The Jets need to take the Drew Brees approach either in 2007 or 2008. If Kellen Clemens is the guy, get him in there. Roethlisberger did it. Rivers did it.

The team is 2 or 3 years away from a bonafide run and we need a young hot QB when we're ready for it; not an over-the-hill one with a bum shoulder.

Reminder: Chad is feasting on weak defenses.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    I disagree completely.

The Jets need to take the Drew Brees approach either in 2007 or 2008. If Kellen Clemens is the guy, get him in there. Roethlisberger did it. Rivers did it.

The team is 2 or 3 years away from a bonafide run and we need a young hot QB when we're ready for it; not an over-the-hill one with a bum shoulder.

SAR I
    You have a big penningtologist bullseye on your back now...This could be fun to watch.....

Hall Of Fame
    I'm going to stop opening threads that even contain the word 'Chad'.

All League
    I disagree completely.

SAR I

That is a gamble I am just not willing to take as a fan. What if he sucks? or what if there are growing pains? This team is all of the sudden built to win NOW not later.

All League
    I disagree completely.

SAR I
    Roethlisberger and Rivers were much more game ready when coming into the NFL. Did you see Clemens in the preseason?!? IF Clemens GREATLY improves this offseason, and can surpass Pennington in ability, than by all means let him take control...but I doubt this will happen (this year at least) you can't give him the ball without even seeing how much he has progressed. I would think for someone who swooned after Lienart so much you would be able to tell between a blue chip prospect and one that needs a little development.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanTheMaster
    You have a big penningtologist bullseye on your back now...This could be fun to watch.....
    I am a Penningtonologist. A smart Jets fan knows when to say 'goodbye' a year too early rather than a year too late. For bad examples, see Vinny Testaverde. See Curtis Martin. For good examples, see Kevin Mawae. See Ty Law.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    If the Jets continue to play well and make the playoffs, I don't see how there should be any competition for the Job though...
    You have proven once again why you are the Founder of the Church of Pennintology. Only a fan of Chad and not the team could make such a ridiculous statement that there shouldn't be competition.

Good God! Mangini believes in competition and the best player playing best plays. But somehow, because of your Chad-lust, you don't want a competition? If Clemens busts his butt this offseason and outplays Chad in the minicamp and training camp, you want to pull a Herm Edwards and say, "Nope, no competition here. The vet plays."

What an absolute joke.

The best players playing best plays. If Chad is such in 2007 then he should be the starter. Competition is the best thing for the Jets. A JET fan should believe that in their hearts.