Thread: OL dept. : Adrian Jones ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Arrow OL dept. : Adrian Jones ~ ~ ~

Dec. 4, 2006
    Home > The Way We Hear It

~ ~ ~ NY Jets

Word is the Jets had already decided that OL Adrian Jones, a fourth-round draft choice in 2004, wasn’t in the team’s future beyond this season before he was arrested near the Jets’ practice facility at 4:45 a.m. on Nov. 25 and charged with driving while intoxicated. After starting all 16 games last season, including the last 13 at left tackle, Jones had underwhelmed the coaching staff in training camp and was quickly replaced by rookie D’Brickashaw Ferguson at left tackle; then he couldn’t even beat out journeyman Anthony Clement for the starting ORT spot. Though the Jets have not been enamored with Clement’s play, the team hasn’t even considered Jones as a replacement. Despite his disenchantment with Jones, we hear that head coach Eric Mangini won’t cut Jones before the end of the season since the 25-year-old provides experienced depth that is hard to come by this late in the season

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...m?mode=afceast

JetsInsider.com Legend
    LOL

And there were a bunch of clowns that actually said we didn't need D'Brick because Jones was already "good" and would only improve.

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets need to upgrade Rt in the off season, perhaps in the draft.

All Pro
    Maybe his DUI stemmed in part from his change in fortunes with us?

I expect we'll target someone in FA and in the draft to play RT. Someone who can cover >1 position would be a bonus.

All League
    Who knows, maybe this will be the wakeup call Jones needs to get his game and life in order. FWIW, I was impressed by the statement he made apologizing to the fans, the team and his teammates and accepting full responsibility for the mistake.

Mangini and Tannenbaum will evaluate the player based on what is in the best interest of the Jets, not on the basis of this single incident. I don't believe Adrian's fate is sealed just yet but the handwriting is on the wall. It is up to Jones to read the handwriting and get the message.

All Pro
    I'd love to see a real road-grader RT drafted in round 2/3.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    LOL

And there were a bunch of clowns that actually said we didn't need D'Brick because Jones was already "good" and would only improve.
    That was that Jets TV guy and his secret sources.

All Pro
    Thats a shame b/c although I had reservations of him playing RT, I was hopeful that he would be a perfect backup at LT.

All Pro
    Nah, I think Jones is gone. Mangini doesn't tolerate that stuff.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR
    Maybe his DUI stemmed in part from his change in fortunes with us?

I expect we'll target someone in FA and in the draft to play RT. Someone who can cover >1 position would be a bonus.
    It well could have! After sitting and not getting 1 game start in 4 years it destroyed Jordan! At least AJ got to play!

All League
    Clement's been quietly good, but if we can get a mauler RT early in the draft I'd like that.
    Is Clement signed beyond this year?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet
    I'd love to see a real road-grader RT drafted in round 2/3.
    If we're drafting in the 20-25 range in round 1, I'd personally love to pick up Levi Brown out of Penn State.

A 6'5 328 road grader who also possesses great pass blocking skills.

Hall Of Fame
    Jones DUI sealed his fate. Unless someone breaks their back he won't see any playing time.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    If we're drafting in the 20-25 range in round 1, I'd personally love to pick up Levi Brown out of Penn State.

A 6'5 328 road grader who also possesses great pass blocking skills.
    I'd like that too.

JetsInsider.com Legend

late first/early first RT draft short list

if we suspect the team is looking RT early

here's the short list for Jets fans:

Levi Brown, Penn St
    Arron Sears, Tennessee
    Justin Blaylock, Texas

these guys all should be in the neighborhood of the redskins second round pick if players like Long and/or Baker declare (I personally believe neither will declare).

Also remember the Jets don't have to draft a right tackle this year, they might take a mauler guard later in the draft if they assign Steve Hutchinson type value on him. I have to believe guys like Samson Satale, Doug Beekman, are on their radar.maybe Ryan Harris, Notre Dame but as a guard at least to start.

All Pro
    Adrian Jones is a bum but Anthony Schegel has value as a 3rd rounder.Heres a kid who's of no use to the Jets supposedly,but if Ferguson got injured,his experience as a former starter could come in handy.

How the frill does that make sense.Either he can or he can't.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 12-04-2006 at 06:56 PM.

Rookie
    How about a trade to KC for a 4th rounder that we gave up for Barlow?????

All Pro
    Why would you get rid of a young, cheap, decent offensive lineman with experience that can backup at guard and/or tackle?

It makes no sense to me. What kind of depth do we have on the O-Line to even consider this?

Quote Originally Posted by JetsMike
    That was that Jets TV guy and his secret sources.
    About as wrong as I have ever been, and glad about it too!