Thread: Shredding "Same Old Jets" mentality

Rookie

Shredding "Same Old Jets" mentality

It might just be me, but I am catching myself more now when I slip into the "same old Jets" mentality that has been a constant through my 38 years. During Sunday's game I actually started to get nervous and think the "other shoe" was about to drop yet again on the Jets after the muffed on-sides kick. A few minutes after I was ashamed of myself after the Jets put the game away fairly easily. If the Jets can do the same and win comfortably this Sunday while I am sitting in the Alps up in Section 316, maybe I can finally put those "same old Jets" demons to bed for good. I get more and more disgusted listening to whinny Jets fans like Joe B. on the fan and I really don't want to be one of them.

If he really can turn this franchise around I will happily do a Penguin Waddle into the stadium for every home game.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by exiledinjersey
    It might just be me, but I am catching myself more now when I slip into the "same old Jets" mentality that has been a constant through my 38 years. During Sunday's game I actually started to get nervous and think the "other shoe" was about to drop yet again on the Jets after the muffed on-sides kick. A few minutes after I was ashamed of myself after the Jets put the game away fairly easily. If the Jets can do the same and win comfortably this Sunday while I am sitting in the Alps up in Section 316, maybe I can finally put those "same old Jets" demons to bed for good. I get more and more disgusted listening to whinny Jets fans like Joe B. on the fan and I really don't want to be one of them.

If he really can turn this franchise around I will happily do a Penguin Waddle into the stadium for every home game.
    Only a Super Bowl victory will get rid of that tag.

All Pro

After 39 years old timer I think that they are no longer the SOJ's. The defense attacks the opponents OL with such ferocity. The annoucers say they are confusing the QB, but when I review the Tivo, it looks as though they are shaking the confidence of the OL.

All Pro
    It might just be me, but I am catching myself more now when I slip into the "same old Jets" mentality that has been a constant through my 38 years. During Sunday's game I actually started to get nervous and think the "other shoe" was about to drop yet again on the Jets after the muffed on-sides kick.
    Same here all i thought was the Giants blew a 3td lead last week - we will never live this down if we do it...

Quote Originally Posted by djaparz
    Same here all i thought was the Giants blew a 3td lead last week - we will never live this down if we do it...
    I started to think about it too but then I thought to myself, "A Mangini coached team would not do that."

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

No same old Jets mentality here. I go into every game knowing that we'll be prepared, well coached and won't fold at the end of regulation.

Charter JI Member
    The only thing that reminded me of the "same old Jets" was the way the Giants have lost the last two weekends.

All Pro
    The neural pathways have been set for the Jets for anyone born before 1995. Our sponge years left an indelible mark on our psyche and I find myself in the same boat.

However, realistically you can really say that "the same old Jets" stopped being so when Bill Parcells walked through the door. We've been above disastrous ever since that day. From Parcells to Groh to Herman Edwards to Eric Mangini - we've been pretty decent for awhile now.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    I started to think about it too but then I thought to myself, "A Mangini coached team would not do that."

me too. I think simms or nantz mentioned the giants collapse, and for 3 seconds I thought, "well, it is possible for them to come back,"

and then I remembered we are now well coached, and went back to playing firetrucks on the floor with my son, with no worries

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I thought the same way yesterday, until they added that last TD to go up by 28.

For me, I need to see the whole season through before I can drop that 'SOJ' mentality. A Super Bowl would definitely remove that 'SOJ Syndrome'

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

This Sunday's game against the bills is a great opportunity to put that tag behind us.

All League
    "Same Old jets" has been dead and buried for 10 years now.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    "Same Old jets" has been dead and buried for 10 years now.

It only lingers in the damaged psyche of once young and hopeful middle aged Jets fans.

Quote Originally Posted by petejet
    This Sunday's game against the bills is a great opportunity to put that tag behind us.

Agreed. This game is a perfect Jet letdown game. At least it always has been. We need to come out smoking like yesterday. Blow them away early.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TKasper01
    Agreed. This game is a perfect Jet letdown game. At least it always has been. We need to come out smoking like yesterday. Blow them away early.
    Yup. Mangini will have them prepared. The stadium is going to be rocking! I can't wait!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet
    Yup. Mangini will have them prepared. The stadium is going to be rocking! I can't wait!
    Yeah, I am actually happy that they moved the game to 4 PM now, will give me time to get pumped up the whole day, and of course hit Mass for that last minute "good will" that can always help!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman

Thank you. The "same old Jets" is not dead because of a few nice wins. We had a ton of nice wins during the Edwards era, during the Parcells era... hell, even during the Walton era. The "same old Jets" is not just choking on some regular season game - although that has happened many times. The SOJ is Vinny Testaverde going down week 1 in '99... it's losing Chad and Fiedler in back-to-back plays during a season when we're picked to go to the Super Bowl... it's losing Chad Morton because Bradway forgot to file the right document... it's playing home games at Giants Stadium... it's half the defense getting hurt when the team is 10-1 in 1986... it's 6 turnovers in the 2nd half against Denver... it's the monsoon that just happened to hit Miami the night before our speed team plays the AFC title game... it's getting blown out in Houston in a game that meant the playoffs to us and nothing to the Oilers... it's Kyle Brady over Sapp, O'Brien over Marino, and on and on...

When the Jets are holding the Lombardi trophy, maybe then I'll be ready to say "these are no longer the SAME OLD JETS". Not anytime before that.

It might just be me, but I am catching myself more now when I slip into the "same old Jets" mentality that has been a constant through my 38 years.
    Parcells killed the SOJ syndrome his first season.

Rookie
    I was watching the game with my wife who is a Green Bay fan who I refer to as the 'fudgePackers' (the Packers...not my wife) Who started in on me with 'the same old Jets' routine and for a second I admit I thought..yup here we go...but Mangini is getting this team to overachive big time and if we can stay healty we might make the playoffs and all bets are if we do. considering no gave us a chance of playing games that count in December, myself included. Cut some dead weight like Barlow, Blaylock and McClareins with next years draft and FA I think we can really build a contender for years to come, Managini has turned around this francise in one year

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman
    I don't necessarily think a SB win is what is needed although it would wipe away alot of bad memories. One trip to the SB followed by years of not making the playoffs would just be a tease. What we really need is to become a consistent playoff contender, year after year, put together a 5 or 10 year run of being in the playoffs 75% of the time. If we win a SB or two during that stretch that would be gravy. Being in the playoffs 75% of the time over a 10 year period, then you can forget that "Same Ole Jets" tag for a long time.