Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 105

Thread: OT: Music Favs THEN vs. Music Favs. NOW

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062

    OT: Music Favs THEN vs. Music Favs. NOW

    So, now that the game is over, and we're back to debating Chad endlessly ( ) I wanted to talk a little about a thought I had over the weekend (not during gametime, just for the record, lol).

    I was just thinking how amazing the changes in my tastes in music have been from when I was a "kid" and now. So I wondered if others had had similar or different changes in their lives.

    For purposes of this discussion, if you are under 20 or so, you don't HAVE a Now, you only have a THEN, lol. But feel free to list your favs anyway. If JI and this thread still exist in 10 years, you can come back and have a good laugh.

    But for us older fogies (i.e. anyone over 20, lol), I'd be interested to hear what you loved in your youth, and what you love now, and see how, if at all, your tastes changed.

    I'll start, of course.

    THEN:
    1993, Age 18, Graduated High School:
    #1 -- Metallica
    #2 -- Iron Maiden
    #3 -- Anthrax
    #4 -- Pink Floyd (was just starting to really get into them)
    #5 -- Assorted Hair Metal and Grunge (Def Leppard, Megadeth, Alice in Chains, etc).

    NOW:
    2006, just turned 31:
    #1 -- Pink Floyd (without question).
    #2 -- Iron and Wine & Bonnie Prince Billy & Nick Drake
    #3 -- Flogging Molly/Carbon Leaf/Scottish Ethnic Music
    #4 -- Greatful Dead/Rusted Root/Jam Bands
    #5 -- Metallica...maybe. Maybe Skynyrd, maybe Alice in Chains.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    2,999
    Geez 'Fish, you're a baby too!

    1979 (ugh) graduated HS:
    1. Queen
    2. Zep
    3. Rush
    4. Styx
    5. Black Sabbath/Stones (you asked for only 5 so I had to make it a tie)

    Now: not easy. I don't know if I can even NAME 5 present day groups!
    1. Anything Sinatra
    2. Anything with Chris Cornell - did any of you hear his James Bond theme song?? Killer!
    3. Alice in Chains
    4. GnR
    5. Have been listening to a lot of Stevie Ray lately

    I told you I couldn't name anybody new!!

    Oh wait....The Killers!!!

  3. #3
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    124
    I'll play along:

    graduated HS in 1987

    Then:
    poison
    motley crue
    new order
    echo and the bunnymen
    the cure

    Now:
    stellastarr
    wilco
    kill hannah
    flaming lips
    fountains of wayne
    tom waits
    the jayhawks
    luna
    the smiths
    the redwalls
    weezer
    billy bragg
    matthew sweet
    journey
    the killers

    among other....
    Last edited by adp22; 12-04-2006 at 03:14 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish
    So, now that the game is over, and we're back to debating
    NOW:
    2006, just turned 31:
    #1 -- Pink Floyd (without question).
    #2 -- Iron and Wine & Bonnie Prince Billy & Nick Drake
    #3 -- Flogging Molly/Carbon Leaf/Scottish Ethnic Music
    #4 -- Greatful Dead/Rusted Root/Jam Bands
    #5 -- Metallica...maybe. Maybe Skynyrd, maybe Alice in Chains.
    Try some Elliott Smith if you have not already. You might also like American Analog Set.

    The best album to start with for Smith is probably XO or maybe Either/Or.

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    33,211
    Good post....

    Attended HS 83-87 - a lot of heavy metal in there, mainly Priest, Maiden, Metallica...


    Early 90s I discovered the Dead and rediscovered classic rock, Steely Dan, Stevie Ray Vaughan (listening to him now, God rest his soul), and a ton of other stuff...


    RIght about now I still listen to all of that and more, with the advent of (ahem) *free* music I can afford to listen to all of that, plus getting into some classic Blues & some Jazz stuff, as well as newer rock bands...my wife looks at some of the stuff on my Ipod and shes like wtf? From Run DMC, Staind, Grateful Dead, Big Audio Dynamite, DMX, Booker T & The MGs, Sublime....hey, whatever moves you!

  6. #6
    I'm older than Warfish?


    Edit> Sorry, forgot to list mine.


    Class of 1987
    ===============
    U2
    Metallica
    Bon Jovi (don't laugh)
    Peter Gabriel
    Aerosmith


    Now
    ================
    Anything except rap.
    Last edited by SanAntonio_JetFan; 12-04-2006 at 03:18 PM.

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Africa watering hole
    Posts
    565
    Too much good music to list,here are a few.96 HS grad.
    THEN
    1.Danzig
    2.Slayer
    3.Megadeth
    4.Primus
    5.Metallica

    Now
    1.DK
    2.Tool
    3.Matrix soundtracks(good driving music)
    4.John Lennon
    5.Smut Peddlers
    I still listen to the THEN too, sometimes.

  8. #8
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    1978 - HS grad
    Allman Bros.
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Led Zepplin
    Jeff Beck
    Marshall Tucker Band
    Little Feat
    Doobies
    Jackson Brown

    Now - old and feeble
    see above list

    actually I also now like ...
    White Stripes
    Beck
    Audioslave
    Evanesance (my kids crush me for this one)
    any Jazz

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by adp22
    I'll play along:

    graduated HS in 1987

    Then:
    poison
    motley crue
    new order
    echo and the bunnymen
    the cure

    Now:
    stellastarr
    wilco
    kill hannah
    flaming lips
    fountains of wayne
    tom waits
    the jayhawks
    luna
    the smiths
    the redwalls
    weezer
    billy bragg
    matthew sweet
    journey
    the killers

    among other....
    Just got Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

    Pretty good.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bethel, CT
    Posts
    11,242
    THEN
    graduated HS in 1985

    1) RATT
    2) Van Halen
    3) AC/DC
    4) Scorpions
    5) Motley Crue

    NOW
    39 year old, married with kids
    1) The WHO
    2) Pink Floyd
    3) RUSH
    4) SANTANA
    5) LED ZEP

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    LI NY
    Posts
    5,087
    Im 30

    Then:
    Maiden
    Metallica
    Slayer
    Testament
    King Diamond

    Now:
    Anything thats over 30 years old
    + I still listen to THEN


  12. #12
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    33,211
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise
    THEN
    graduated HS in 1985

    1) RATT
    2) Van Halen
    3) AC/DC
    4) Scorpions
    5) Motley Crue

    NOW
    39 year old, married with kids
    1) The WHO
    2) Pink Floyd
    3) RUSH
    4) SANTANA
    5) LED ZEP

    Are you sure your 'NOW' list isnt your 'THEN' list ? j/k bro

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Africa watering hole
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead
    Im 30

    Then:
    Maiden
    Metallica
    Slayer
    Testament
    King Diamond

    Now:
    Anything thats over 30 years old
    + I still listen to THEN

    Good list,I wish MTV would make Headbangers Ball DVDs.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Good thread, Fish.

    Class of 1997
    Wu Tang Clan
    Redman
    Everlast
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Frank Sinatra


    Now
    Johnny Cash
    Breaking Benjamin
    U2 (Their old stuff. The recent stuff is weak.)
    Frank Sinatra
    Harry Connick, jr.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bethel, CT
    Posts
    11,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked
    Are you sure your 'NOW' list isnt your 'THEN' list ? j/k bro

    LOL, same stuff, just better quality !!!

    I had a serious floyd/hendrix/dead phase, but that didn't last more than my sophomore year at college !!!

  16. #16
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    50,788
    THEN:
    1. Bob Seger
    2. ZZ Top
    3. Allman Brothers
    4. Neil Young
    5. Foreigner

    NOW:
    1. Bob Seger
    2. ZZ Top
    3. Allman Brothers
    4. Neil Young
    5. Bob Dylan
    5a. Grateful Dead

  17. #17
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    50,788
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    1978 - HS grad
    Allman Bros.
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Led Zepplin
    Jeff Beck
    Marshall Tucker Band
    Little Feat
    Doobies
    Jackson Brown

    Now - old and feeble
    see above list

    actually I also now like ...
    White Stripes
    Beck
    Audioslave
    Evanesance (my kids crush me for this one)
    any Jazz
    Wow, 1978 here too...that list looks like the cassettes on the floor of my Dodge dart!

  18. #18
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    50,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Woodall Rocks!
    Geez 'Fish, you're a baby too!

    1979 (ugh) graduated HS:
    1. Queen
    2. Zep
    3. Rush
    4. Styx
    5. Black Sabbath/Stones (you asked for only 5 so I had to make it a tie)

    Now: not easy. I don't know if I can even NAME 5 present day groups!
    1. Anything Sinatra
    2. Anything with Chris Cornell - did any of you hear his James Bond theme song?? Killer!
    3. Alice in Chains
    4. GnR
    5. Have been listening to a lot of Stevie Ray lately

    I told you I couldn't name anybody new!!

    Oh wait....The Killers!!!
    I couldnt bring myself to admit to the Styx.

  19. #19
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    50,788
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx
    Harry Connick, jr.
    you are SO gay.

  20. #20
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2
    Wow, 1978 here too...that list looks like the cassettes on the floor of my Dodge dart!
    lol, those were indestructable...I had a Fury III with a dent in every quarter panel

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us