Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Barlow signed for next year?

Hall Of Fame

Is Barlow signed for next year?

Tangini showed last year that they tried to fill in some later round draft picks so they had assets to make moves up and down within rounds. We are missing some mid and late round picks for the next draft I believe. Which players that are already signed are candidates to be traded for mid to late round picks next year?

This tidbit from CNNSI's truth and rumors got be thinking.

"The big back the Eagles need just might be Kevan Barlow, whose stay with the Jets almost certainly will be just for this season.
    -- Delaware County Times"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    Tangini showed last year that they tried to fill in some later round draft picks so they had assets to make moves up and down within rounds. We are missing some mid and late round picks for the next draft I believe. Which players that are already signed are candidates to be traded for mid to late round picks next year?

This tidbit from CNNSI's truth and rumors got be thinking.

"The big back the Eagles need just might be Kevan Barlow, whose stay with the Jets almost certainly will be just for this season.
    -- Delaware County Times"
    I'd say "nice use of a draft pick" if I weren't growing increasingly worried about Doug Gabriel's lack of p-time in N.E.

Hall Of Fame
    Barlow is signed for next year. Hopefully the Jets can get a 5th rounder. I doubt they can get a 4th for him.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Barlow is signed for next year. Hopefully the Jets can get a 5th rounder. I doubt they can get a 4th for him.

Realistically we'd be lucky to get a 7th round pick for him. More than likely he'll just be released.

Barlow signed for next year?

Barlow has three years left on on contract with base salaries ranging in the 2-3 million per year area, however none of which is guaranteed. So, since the 49ers took the salary cap hit for his signing bonus, there would be little if any salary cap ramifications for the jets. Unfortunately, they gave up a 4th round pick for this bum, so they probably would keep him around for at least one more season. As far as the 4th round pick goes, tannenbaum can recover this on draft day by trading down on one of their second round picks. Remember the jets own the redskins 2nd round pick by virtue of their trade on draft day last year. This could be a top 40 pick if the redskins continue to flounder.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by manjet
    Barlow has three years left on on contract with base salaries ranging in the 2-3 million per year area, however none of which is guaranteed. So, since the 49ers took the salary cap hit for his signing bonus, there would be little if any salary cap ramifications for the jets. Unfortunately, they gave up a 4th round pick for this bum, so they probably would keep him around for at least one more season. As far as the 4th round pick goes, tannenbaum can recover this on draft day by trading down on one of their second round picks. Remember the jets own the redskins 2nd round pick by virtue of their trade on draft day last year. This could be a top 40 pick if the redskins continue to flounder.
    I dont think the Jets would keep Barlow around especially if we draft a running back in the first day of the draft. I would look for a draft day deal to trade up from one of the second rounders to the bottom of the first to get someone we coveted. My thinking is that there are little ego's here in this regime to say hey we tried to make a change and it didnt work out, we messed this one up, and were not going to wallow in our mistake and keep him around for another year just to feel like were getting value out of him if he doesnt fit in our scheme

All Pro
    I agree that this regime has shown that it doesn't stick with the mistakes they've made e.g. inactivating Schlegal and Barlow.

But is it true that SF takes the full hit for the signing bonus. Can we cut Barlow after this season with no cap penalty?

All Pro
    Ultimately it may prove to be poor use of the pick BUT it is a hindsight thing. We had a huge ? at the position and to get a guy like barlow increased the chanes that at least one of the guys would work out i.e if you have 4 NFL calibre backs competing its more likely that one of them will "click" as oposed to only three competing.

Banned
    It's patently ludicrous that the jets would get a 5th or 4th rounder for Barlow at this point. His stock is low. They'll cut him, or get a 7th rounder AT BEST.

All Pro
    I think the jets STILL need a feature back next year..
    Cedric is a #2 and Leon is definately a great change of pace back..
    But we dont have a legit #1 RB on the team.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... i can't imagine another team trading anything for barlow ... if we were to get a 7th i would be surprised ...

... agree with the poster stating it increased the odds that a rb would step up as more than a "hold the fort" guy for this season ... that was the hope behind the move ...

... i like the balls our new FO has had in making decisive moves and then moving forward from there ...

... agree that the additional 2nd next year is looking better & better ... sorry Gibbs - i like and respect you, but am hoping you lose out this season ...

l_j_r

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

the barlow move ultimately ended up not working out, but i like that we did.

the argument most people had against it was that we are rebuilding this year --why trade away a pick for a RB that isn't all that young and won't be a building block?

im not going to pretend that i predicted our record, but i was of the opinion that anything can happen in this league, so you need to make an effort to field the best team you can (without selling out your future).

The Barlow move hasn't panned out partly because Leon and Cedric have played well obviating the need to play Barlow. If they didn't, Barlow might be getting the accolades instead.

Not every move is going to work out....with the development of #29 and #34, Barlow will not be on the team next year, at least not with his current contract.

All League
    Some dope gave us a 4th round pick for Herman Munster

Some dope may just give us a pick of some sorts for Barlow.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by patsox23
    It's patently ludicrous that the jets would get a 5th or 4th rounder for Barlow at this point. His stock is low. They'll cut him, or get a 7th rounder AT BEST.
    Unfortunately I would have to agree with this. Tangini was desperate to add a RB before the season started and where it was so close to the start of the season they had to pay a kings ransom to get a RB.

Barlow isn't worth a 4th rounder. Probably a 6th at best.

For all of the moves Tangini made that were great this offseason, this one was just the opposite.

It was a knee jerk reaction and they got burned in the process.

So I hope they get rid of Barlow during the offseason (at whatever cost) and add a RB on the first day of the draft..........

Hall Of Fame
    its hard to say that Barlow didn't work out.

he may not be the answer but he had a huge contribution in a huge win for this franchise at NE.

just for that game, he's justified his pay in my eyes.

they should offer Snyder his #2 pick back...in exchange for two #4s (his own and one he trades for) and his 2008 #2...He'll doubtlessly again expect that his #2 will be near the end of the round...and the fourth round is gold for the Jets because they have an overnight to recoup and do their homework...(and Brad Smith and Washington testify at how good they are at that.)

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader
    its hard to say that Barlow didn't work out.

he may not be the answer but he had a huge contribution in a huge win for this franchise at NE.

just for that game, he's justified his pay in my eyes.
    Agreed, he has scored 5 tds or something this year, he wasn't a total waste.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by patsox23
    I'd say "nice use of a draft pick" if I weren't growing increasingly worried about Doug Gabriel's lack of p-time in N.E.
    I'm almost inclined to say the 4th round pick was well worth watching Barlow's sorryass run all over you in Foxboro.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules
    ... i can't imagine another team trading anything for barlow ... if we were to get a 7th i would be surprised ...

... agree with the poster stating it increased the odds that a rb would step up as more than a "hold the fort" guy for this season ... that was the hope behind the move ...

... i like the balls our new FO has had in making decisive moves and then moving forward from there ...

... agree that the additional 2nd next year is looking better & better ... sorry Gibbs - i like and respect you, but am hoping you lose out this season
    l_j_r
    Nobody thought we would get anything for Brooks Bollinger, and we got a pick AND a player...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Deactivating Barlow yesterday said a lot. He won't be here next season, hope we get a pick for him but I wouldn't count on it.