Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Just bought a HD TV!

  1. #1
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clover, South Carolina
    Posts
    355

    Just bought a HD TV!

    Man, I am excited about being able to watch the Jets in HD but I really do not know a lot about it at this time other than the picture is awesome.

    Can anyone help me with what I should buy next so that I can start watching a HD signal? I have the TV and that is all!

    What do I need next? I know I will need to get some HD cables, but is that all I need?

  2. #2
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugzy
    Man, I am excited about being able to watch the Jets in HD but I really do not know a lot about it at this time other than the picture is awesome.

    Can anyone help me with what I should buy next so that I can start watching a HD signal? I have the TV and that is all!

    What do I need next? I know I will need to get some HD cables, but is that all I need?
    Is your cable/SAT box or reciever HD? And does your tv have a built in HD tuner?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36,218
    First off, congrats!

    Some questions so we can help you:

    EDIT: I see that you live out of the NY area, so you need DirecTV to see all the HD Jets games in HD. Please answer the rest of the questions:

    2. Did you buy a flat panel LCD/plasma or a tube or a rear-projection HDTV?

    3. Is your TV "HD ready" or does it have a built in HD tuner?

    4. Does your TV have HDMI inputs or not?


    SAR I

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Dutchess County, NY
    Posts
    1,040
    I am not sure if the Jets game is on in HD this week? I had to sell my ticket to this game since I will not get home until later in the day from a trip to Pennsylvania (I will be home in time to watch, thank God they changed it to a 4:15 game.

    I am just saying that under the CBS broadcast for this week, a few games had the HD logo next to it and the Jets/Bills game did not. That would SUCK if it is not in HD.

    By the way SAR, have you seen that show on INHD called Wall Street Warriors? I am hooked on it!!!

  5. #5
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,917
    Cable or Satellite system must be HD.

    HDMI cables are the best (High Definition Media Interface)

    ENJOY!!!

  6. #6
    Usually the Jet home games are in HD, but during the broadcast this week they were not listed in HD by CBS. Where do you live and how far is it from NYC?

  7. #7
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clover, South Carolina
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    Is your cable/SAT box or reciever HD? And does your tv have a built in HD tuner?

    1. Not sure
    2. Yes

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,276
    JETS GAME IS NOT IN HD THIS WEEK.

  9. #9
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clover, South Carolina
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    First off, congrats!

    Some questions so we can help you:

    EDIT: I see that you live out of the NY area, so you need DirecTV to see all the HD Jets games in HD. Please answer the rest of the questions:

    2. Did you buy a flat panel LCD/plasma or a tube or a rear-projection HDTV?

    3. Is your TV "HD ready" or does it have a built in HD tuner?

    4. Does your TV have HDMI inputs or not?


    SAR I
    Sar,
    flatpanel LCD
    yes it is HD ready with an integrated tuner
    Yes it has HDMI inputs

  10. #10
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugzy
    Sar,
    flatpanel LCD
    yes it is HD ready with an integrated tuner
    Yes it has HDMI inputs
    All you need is a HD cable box or Satellite

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    On some beach... somewhere...
    Posts
    3,726
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    All you need is a HD cable box or Satellite

    Direct TV with Sunday Ticket and Superfan.

    All should be well discounted at this point of the season.

    This week sucks 'cause Jets game is not in HD this week.

    CBS sucks about that.

    If you do go Direct TV ask for the 5 LNB dish and the locals in HD if they are available in your market.

    Eliminates the need of and OTA Antenna

  12. #12
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clover, South Carolina
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423
    Usually the Jet home games are in HD, but during the broadcast this week they were not listed in HD by CBS. Where do you live and how far is it from NYC?

    I live in Clover S.C., about 600 miles away!

    My receiver is a Pansat 2700A (FTA)! I get CBS New York and that is where I watch the Jets!


    I will get a HDMI cable tomorrow!

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Dutchess County, NY
    Posts
    1,040
    Don't buy Monster cables, WAY overpriced. The cheaper ones do the same darn thing. I actually got one for $10 including shipping on eBay, the same quality as the Monster except about $60 cheaper.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,233
    Walmart has the cheapest prices for HDMI cables which you'll need for your TV to your HD Box. I got a DVR (dig video recorder) box from Cable Vision which was the only option for a HDMI output.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Dutchess County, NY
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    Walmart has the cheapest prices for HDMI cables which you'll need for your TV to your HD Box. I got a DVR (dig video recorder) box from Cable Vision which was the only option for a HDMI output.
    Cablevision in Dutchess County, NY has the regular HD cable box with the HDMI output - no DVR needed (the DVR box was $10 more per month).

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,356
    I just bought a Samsung DLP. I'm having problems with the HDMI cable. I have it connected to a Direct TV HD receiver. It keeps losing the signal. I mean constantly. The cable is RCA and not the "monster" brand. The picture from the component cables is ok but I think I'm spoiled from my other LCD. Anyone have problems with a HDMI connection?

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugzy
    Sar,
    flatpanel LCD
    yes it is HD ready with an integrated tuner
    Yes it has HDMI inputs
    Okay.....here's the deal. You have two options:

    1. DirecTV. The only way to see every Jets game each season, including the ones that are broadcast in HD (about 70% of Jets games are in HD this season). You'd need NFL Sunday Ticket (gets you every NFL game each week) and add the Superfan package (gets you every HD NFL game each week, usually about 9) and add the Local package (gets you your local channels on the satellite so you don't have to pay for cable at all).

    2. Local Cable. Depending on where you live it's cheaper than DirecTV, doesn't require a dish on the house, all the local channels are included. However, you will only see Jets games on National TV. If you're lucky, that's maybe 5 of the 16 games.

    Regarding connectivity, once you decide between 1 and 2, the set top box you'll receive will have an HDMI output; that provides the very best quality to your new HDTV. A hi-def connection is only provided via HDMI, component cables, or VGA connection.

    If you do not have a fairly new DVD player, go buy one from Best Buy for under $79 that has HDMI outputs.

    Some free advice: Plug your basic cable line (not from the box, straight from the wall) into your TV right now and run the channel auto-setup. Many of us find that the HD channels are just there for the taking free of charge.....you may get lucky right now.

    Some free advice II: Go to the avs forums and do a search for the model number of your new TV. The settings from the manufacturer are awful in most cases and you need to calibrate it immediately (adjust color, tint, saturation, white balance, etc.) It'll take a few minutes but its definitely worth it.

    Let me know if you have more questions.

    SAR I

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,165
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    Okay.....here's the deal. You have two options:

    1. DirecTV. The only way to see every Jets game each season, including the ones that are broadcast in HD (about 70% of Jets games are in HD this season). You'd need NFL Sunday Ticket (gets you every NFL game each week) and add the Superfan package (gets you every HD NFL game each week, usually about 9) and add the Local package (gets you your local channels on the satellite so you don't have to pay for cable at all).

    2. Local Cable. Depending on where you live it's cheaper than DirecTV, doesn't require a dish on the house, all the local channels are included. However, you will only see Jets games on National TV. If you're lucky, that's maybe 5 of the 16 games.

    Regarding connectivity, once you decide between 1 and 2, the set top box you'll receive will have an HDMI output; that provides the very best quality to your new HDTV. A hi-def connection is only provided via HDMI, component cables, or VGA connection.

    If you do not have a fairly new DVD player, go buy one from Best Buy for under $79 that has HDMI outputs.

    Some free advice: Plug your basic cable line (not from the box, straight from the wall) into your TV right now and run the channel auto-setup. Many of us find that the HD channels are just there for the taking free of charge.....you may get lucky right now.

    Some free advice II: Go to the avs forums and do a search for the model number of your new TV. The settings from the manufacturer are awful in most cases and you need to calibrate it immediately (adjust color, tint, saturation, white balance, etc.) It'll take a few minutes but its definitely worth it.

    Let me know if you have more questions.

    SAR I
    So easy a CAVEMAN could do it!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us