Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The key question: Is this team for real?

All League

The key question: Is this team for real?

Most long suffering Jet fans know the pain of having a promising season go down in really bad games thus "the same old Jets" syndrome. Around the league the so called experts are divided as to whether this team is "for real" as the accomplishments of this team are masked by a really weak schedule. So one has to ask..."is this the same old Jets" and are they going to blow a couple of games to teams that they should easily beat?

Well anything can happen on any given Sunday but my gut tells me that this is a new ballclub. We successfully trimmed some fat with some players that were not team focused; we made some vert smart draft choices but the biggest factor that people tend to overlook is that this team was supposed to be lucky to win 4 or 5 games at all this year.

The same old Jets would have found a way to play not to lose in New England. The same old Jets would have gone into Green Bay with an attitude only to find that before they knew it they would be down 17-0. The same old Jets would play not to lose instead of playing to win. The same old Jets would not have recognized the talent of people like Crotchery while allowing people's past performance to be the biggest indicator as to whether they play or not.

The so called analysts have not seen the major improvements in this team in the last 4 weeks. They don't see Pennington calling plays on the LOS and spreading the ball around...they can't quantify the spirit of this team they only know that our QB has a decent rating and that we have an easy schedule. I like what Phil Simms said on Sunday in that the "Jets do whatever they have to do to win" and that is a major step for this football team. On ANY weekend the Jets can play competitive football with ANY team. Attention reporters in Green Bay: Maybe the Packers were not beat by a mediocre football team but b a football team that is getting it all together and are better then their record implies.

There is a lot of football left but this team has given the fans a lot to cheer about and that has been a long time coming

Hall Of Fame
    I think if we win a couple more games in Dec, then we will be for real.

Hall Of Fame
    This is a well coached team on the rise, heading in the right direction. Having said that I think the team is overacheiveing a bit right now with the overall talent we have and also has benefitted from a weak schedule. does that take anything away from the team? It shouldn't really.

For me it's all about working towards a legit chance at a championship. I'd say the Jets are for real in the sense that the coaching staff and organization have gotten alot out of the players we have and have not blown games.

Im always afraid of the "same old Jets" syndrome that happens whenever I get excited about the team. I hope its different this time around, but I need to see a few wins this month to officially say its not the same old Jets. I just really hope I dont walk out of the Meadowlands this week at 7:15 with my head down saying "same old Jets" as I walk out of the stadium. At least let me say it when they play away from home.

I think if the Jets take care of business with a comfortable 8-10 point win against Buffalo alot of people will come around thinking that the team is for real and that they have a real shot at the playoffs. A 3 game winning streak is the point where the media analysts start to take real notice of a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    This is a well coached team on the rise, heading in the right direction. Having said that I think the team is overacheiveing a bit right now with the overall talent we have and also has benefitted from a weak schedule. does that take anything away from the team? It shouldn't really.

For me it's all about working towards a legit chance at a championship. I'd say the Jets are for real in the sense that the coaching staff and organization have gotten alot out of the players we have and have not blown games.
    I agree completely. As much as I doubt the team week in and week out, they continue to impress me. Talent-wise, this is a 5-11 team. The fact that they've won 7 already is incredible.

All League
    Someone punch me in my gut beause ihave this "gut" feeling that we are going to lose on Sunday..

I hope to god that I am wrong. Being a Jets fan since 68 as made me a pessimistic nut job.. This is the kind of game we ALWAYS lost in the past..

I'll be at 16-H bright and early ready to go!! PLEASE let me be wrong!!!

Banned
    If "for real" means "a dominant AFC team, capable of beating every team on their schedule and a threat to go the distance in the playoffs" then, no. Not "for real".

The Jets are a great young group with a great future. They will be "for real" in 2008. 2007 will be a step back due to the no-cupcakes schedule:

HOME
    Cleveland
    Pittsburgh
    Philadelphia
    Washington
    Denver*

AWAY
    Baltimore
    Cincinnati
    Dallas
    NY Giants
    Jacksonville*

Steelers, Eagles, and Broncos are tough outs even at home. Cleveland beat us this year. Away schedule is outrageous. Ravens, Bengals, Dallas, Giants, and Jags are all likely playoff teams this year. Throw in the Patriots and Fins, and we're 8-8 at best out of the box in '07. Compared to '06 we'll be classified as a "disappointment". Just watch us in '08 though.

SAR I

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52
    Most long suffering Jet fans know the pain of having a promising season go down in really bad games thus "the same old Jets" syndrome. Around the league the so called experts are divided as to whether this team is "for real" as the accomplishments of this team are masked by a really weak schedule. So one has to ask..."is this the same old Jets" and are they going to blow a couple of games to teams that they should easily beat?

Well anything can happen on any given Sunday but my gut tells me that this is a new ballclub. We successfully trimmed some fat with some players that were not team focused; we made some vert smart draft choices but the biggest factor that people tend to overlook is that this team was supposed to be lucky to win 4 or 5 games at all this year.

The same old Jets would have found a way to play not to lose in New England. The same old Jets would have gone into Green Bay with an attitude only to find that before they knew it they would be down 17-0. The same old Jets would play not to lose instead of playing to win. The same old Jets would not have recognized the talent of people like Crotchery while allowing people's past performance to be the biggest indicator as to whether they play or not.

The so called analysts have not seen the major improvements in this team in the last 4 weeks. They don't see Pennington calling plays on the LOS and spreading the ball around...they can't quantify the spirit of this team they only know that our QB has a decent rating and that we have an easy schedule. I like what Phil Simms said on Sunday in that the "Jets do whatever they have to do to win" and that is a major step for this football team. On ANY weekend the Jets can play competitive football with ANY team. Attention reporters in Green Bay: Maybe the Packers were not beat by a mediocre football team but b a football team that is getting it all together and are better then their record implies.

There is a lot of football left but this team has given the fans a lot to cheer about and that has been a long time coming

Thats what I was saying yesterday..

coming into the season we had so many new faces, and when you couple that with last year, no one gave us a chance.

Weak schedule or not, we still played 3 of the very best Teams in the NFL 4 Times. (Pats twice, Chi, and Indy) We went TOE TO TOE with these teams. That tells me all I need to know about this team.

And what the heck do people mean when they say "we should be able to beat so and so" We were 4-12 last year We aren't Supposed to beat ANYONE. No games are easy for a mediocre team like the Jets who are overachieving.

I'm just gonna sit back, relax and enjoy this ride for this season. If we do the Unthinkable and make the playoffs, We are going to be in for a wild ride with this team for years to come.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LETSGOJETS
    Thats what I was saying yesterday..
    No team with Chad Pennington as their quarterback can be considered "for real".

Oops. Wrong thread. My bad.

SAR I

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    If "for real" means "a dominant AFC team, capable of beating every team on their schedule and a threat to go the distance in the playoffs" then, no. Not "for real".

The Jets are a great young group with a great future. They will be "for real" in 2008. 2007 will be a step back due to the no-cupcakes schedule:

HOME
    Cleveland
    Pittsburgh
    Philadelphia
    Washington
    Denver*

AWAY
    Baltimore
    Cincinnati
    Dallas
    NY Giants
    Jacksonville*

Steelers, Eagles, and Broncos are tough outs even at home. Cleveland beat us this year. Away schedule is outrageous. Ravens, Bengals, Dallas, Giants, and Jags are all likely playoff teams this year. Throw in the Patriots and Fins, and we're 8-8 at best out of the box in '07. Compared to '06 we'll be classified as a "disappointment". Just watch us in '08 though.

SAR I

How do you explain how well we did vs Elite teams this year after coming off a 4-12 season?

next year we are only going to be better.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

HOME
    Cleveland
    Pittsburgh
    Philadelphia
    Washington
    Denver*

AWAY
    Baltimore
    Cincinnati
    Dallas
    NY Giants
    Jacksonville*

SAR I
    This year isn't even over and you are calling us a 2007 dissappointment?

don't forget a few things:
    1) Everyone will be in the new system a full year
    2) Free Agency..we should have enough $$$ to take a plunge
    3) The Draft
    4) Our head coach won't be a rookie anymore

The schedule:
    Cleveland, Pitt, Phil. & Washington suck

Cinn, Jax and the VaGiants are schizo...which team shows up???

And lets not forget the patsies* are in a downhill mode...Sorry, I don't agree with ypour assessment

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Hard to say, we have the potential to be the 01 Patriots where we get hot late and win some close games to win a SB.

It's not likely imo, and I wouldn't consider us real contenders like some of the other teams, but we definitely have a shot...

All League
    No team with Chad Pennington as their quarterback can be considered "for real".

Oops. Wrong thread. My bad.

SAR I
    What makes you think Clemens can do better? are you willing to go through 2 seasons of mistakes and growing pains to find out? then... what if he sucks???

then what?

we HAVE to use what we have because good quarterbacks don't grow on trees.... I think in another year or 2 Clemens will be game ready and we will know RIGHT AWAY what we have.. if we use him next year we are gambling. no need to gamble right now because I like what I see with our current QB.

Banned
    no. this is all an illusion. None of this is real. It's all a simulation generated by the Matrix. There is no spoon...

All Pro

HOME
    Cleveland
    Pittsburgh
    Philadelphia
    Washington
    Denver*

AWAY
    Baltimore
    Cincinnati
    Dallas
    NY Giants
    Jacksonville*

SAR I

Your taking this whole "I'M, being a realist thing way too far. Get excited man. It's an excellent run, and the possibility of something outlandish happening to this franchise is possible. They are young and scrappy and before you doom next year why don't you relax and enjoy the ride.

Your choice, as usual is an excellent and very arguable point. But, it's mundane and kinda depressing to think about it while we are on a rush. Yet I give you credit for being consistent. At least you don't wait until we lose to dish the doom and gloom.

Anyhow thats about all I have. Going away for my 40th and I have to go bathing suit shopping. The gray one I had last summer was dangerous. I way laying on the beach sun bathing and a family of Eskimo's threw a spear at me. Lucky they missed.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52

I get the same feeling and I want to believe it so badly. the problem we have both been burned so many times by this team.

For that reason, I will only believe it when I see it.

If they win all of there remaining games then they will have made a believer out of me. Going on winning streaks to end the season was a staple of Parcells regimes. Let's see if Mangini is able to achieve the same thing.

But don't forget..This team already did dispoint once this year against Cleveland.........

All Pro

HOME
    Cleveland
    Pittsburgh
    Philadelphia
    Washington
    Denver*

AWAY
    Baltimore
    Cincinnati
    Dallas
    NY Giants
    Jacksonville*

SAR I
    This is the NFL, where you don't know how any of those teams will be two weeks from now, not to mention last year. It may turn out to be the easiest schedule in the league --or the toughest-- and there's no point in speculating this far out.

All Pro
    I think we are much better than people are giving us credit for. Although improbable, a playoff and even Superbowl run are definitely possible. Keep in mind that aside from the Jacksonville debacle, we had a chance to win every game we have played this season. For a team that is improving as each week passes, this is great news.

Last season, guess what team was 7-5, improving each week, and making a run at the end of the season. The wildcard, 6th seed, Superbowl winning Pittsburgh Steelers.

We are a well-coached, well-prepared, hungry team. Anything is possible.

Currently, I believe the giants strength of schedule, or their combined opponents record, only shows a 2 game difference. Coming into the week, I think it looks like this:

giants opp record: 60-48
    Jets opp record: 60-50

And it's stupid to constantly talk about strength of schedule, when records are still changing week to week. SOS records can change, and look very different after even a 3, 4 game span.
    Last edited by JOHNNY JOHNSON; 12-05-2006 at 11:13 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    We are for real. We have played with the best of both leagues, hung with them, and probably should have beat both of them but we shot ourselves in the foot (not kicking a FG, and kicking a dumb onsides kick). The Jets are a very dangerous team and can cause some chaos if them can just make it into the playoffs.