Thread: Grade "A" effort for the Jets!

Banned

Grade "A" effort for the Jets!

How can we disagree?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12052006...cannizzaro.htm

December 5, 2006 -- QUARTERBACKS A Chad Pennington (24-35, 263 yards, two TD, two INTs, 115.8 rating) picked apart the Packers in the first half, when he was un stoppable. The final numbers don't tell the story of how dominant he was in putting this game away be fore halftime.

RUNNING BACKS A Cedric Houston (22-105 yards, two TDs) had a career-best day. Speedy Leon Wash ington (7-40, TD) complemented him well. Strong blocking from Sean Ryan and B.J. Askew.

RECEIVERS A Jerricho Cotchery (9-99, TD) continues to star, Laveranues Coles (3-28), Brad Smith (2-17 receiving, 1-32 rushing) and Justin McCareins pitched in nicely.

TIGHT ENDS A Chris Baker (4-50, TD) made some impact catches. Ryan caught one pass for 5 yards; both he and Baker blocked well in the run ning game.

OFFENSIVE LINE A The Packers entered the game having sacked the QB 34 times in 11 games, fourth-best in the NFL. Pennington was barely touched, particularly in the first half, and wasn't sacked once. Run blocking was strong, too.

DEFENSIVE LINE A DE Shaun Ellis had an active, productive game with six tackles and a shared sack. NT Dewayne Robertson had two tackles and a fumble recovery. The line helped slow the Green Bay rushing attack for most of the day.

LINEBACKERS A Victor Hobson had a career-high 13 tack les, a batted pass and a QB hurry. Bryan Thomas had 11/2 sacks, a forced fumble and five tackles. Eric Barton had six tackles and Jonathan Vilma had five tackles and a pass de fended.

SECONDARY A CB Andre Dyson had an INT that led to a Jets TD. CB Hank Poteat had seven tackles and a pass defended. S Kerry Rhodes had an INT, three passes defended and a tackle. S Erik Coleman had eight tackles and a pass defended.

SPECIAL TEAMS A Cody Spencer had four tackles in kick cov erage. Justin Miller averaged 30 yards on two KO returns. Kick coverage was solid, al lowing an average of 17.7 yards on seven returns.

KICKING GAME A K Mike Nugent had one FG, a 24-yarder on the Jets' first possession. P Ben Graham punted once for 51 yards (a 42-yard net) in the fourth quarter.

COACHING A Eric Mangini had the players fired up and prepared for the Packers, the Lambeau mystique and the sub-freezing tempera tures. Credit offensive coordinator Brian Schotten heimer for a perfect plan against the vulnerable Green Bay defense. Everything worked.

All League
    Interesting, no replies to this thread yet. Gee, what happened to all the people who ripped Cannizzarro to shreds every time he wrote something negative about the Jets? I guess he must be a great writer again!

Hall Of Fame
    While I'd agree for the most part, I don't see how you could grade anyone an "A" who turns the ball over twice. Chad played very well, but not amazingly so. BTW, it's not hate on Chad and I'm not trying to start that same old argument again, because I would say the very same thing if Houston had lost two fumbles and still got an A. I also wouldn't give the receivers an A as an entire unit if for no other than McCareins. The reality is we all know he did nothing to help stop either of those INTs that were thrown to him when he very well could have. If we're talking just about the starters, that's a different story though, otherwise he drags them down.

Don't get me wrong, the team played great, but let's be a little realistic. We don't need constant negativity in journalism, but we also don't need over-exaggerated ass-kissing once the Jets start making the media look like idiots and play really well.

BTW, didn't really Rhodes had that pick and THREE PDs... very impressive.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... agreed - bringing up j-mac is where i have a problem ...

... coles and cotch great ...

... even though j-mac could have done something to stop the int's i remove the A from C-P over this as well ...

... i LOVE the fact that mangini went for the jugular with the bomb to start out the 2nd half though ... even though it resulted in a pick - ... the HC of the NYJ has a set of nads ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Our OL got it done protecting Chad.

Hall Of Fame
    Im not sure our recievers really deserved an 'A' either. As while Cotchery had a great game, Laveranues Coles, Brad Smith, and Justin McCareins all had a rather average game outside of the Smith reverse.

I agree with Bleedin also that the 'A' should be reserved for a more mistake-free performance. Pennington was a very solid B plus though......