Thread: Remember this Summer when the media was killing Mangini?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Remember this Summer when the media was killing Mangini?

The guy hadn't coached a single down yet. He was holding tough practices in the heat of Summer. He was purposely vague and terse with his answers to reporters' questions, although he was always respectful. The media criticized his methods, his youth, etc. There was even an article just before the season started saying that Mangini better win or there would be trouble. Well, he is winning....his methods work...he has put his team first and the reporters a very distant second. He hasn't had to stand at the podium and rattle off a sermon that he hopes lights a fire under his players....HE lights the fire under his players where he should - behind closed doors, during practices, during meetings. Give Mangini credit for sticking to his guns and succeeding. There will certainly be bumps in the road, every team and new coach has them....but don't expect EM to cave in or change his methods or panic just when he hits that bump. I'm loving how the media is beginning to worship this guy! Hipocrisy is King!!!!

Banned
    Viva El Pinguino!!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23
    The guy hadn't coached a single down yet. He was holding tough practices in the heat of Summer. He was purposely vague and terse with his answers to reporters' questions, although he was always respectful. The media criticized his methods, his youth, etc. There was even an article just before the season started saying that Mangini better win or there would be trouble. Well, he is winning....his methods work...he has put his team first and the reporters a very distant second. He hasn't had to stand at the podium and rattle off a sermon that he hopes lights a fire under his players....HE lights the fire under his players where he should - behind closed doors, during practices, during meetings. Give Mangini credit for sticking to his guns and succeeding. There will certainly be bumps in the road, every team and new coach has them....but don't expect EM to cave in or change his methods or panic just when he hits that bump. I'm loving how the media is beginning to worship this guy!
    After 5 years of the Jabbering Jet HC getting Mangini as HC is like getting a crack addict to give up crack and drink Milk instead! It took them awhile to do cold turkey and accept reality!!

Rookie
    Anyone remember what Herms first year here was like with the media?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVilma
    Anyone remember what Herms first year here was like with the media?
    Yup. There were 3 to 1 odds that the press conference would last longer than the practice on any given day!

Veteran
    If the Jets make it to the playoffs, and CERTAINLY if we were to pull off a miracle and win the division... Mangini has to be the top candidate for Coach of the Year. I know the Saints are doing well, but I still think the expectations of our coach were far less than theirs.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by player1322
    If the Jets make it to the playoffs, and CERTAINLY if we were to pull off a miracle and win the division... Mangini has to be the top candidate for Coach of the Year. I know the Saints are doing well, but I still think the expectations of our coach were far less than theirs.
    if i'm not mistaken, the saints have 1 playoff appearance in their history, and no division titles...what Sean Payton has done is nothing short of a miracle...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    if i'm not mistaken, the saints have 1 playoff appearance in their history, and no division titles...what Sean Payton has done is nothing short of a miracle...
    Correction: what Sean Payton and Drew Bress have done is nothing short of a miracle.

Back to the topic: The media wants to jump on the green bandwagon.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Actually they made the playoffs in 87-91-92-2000 and won the Division in 91!

All Pro
    They have one playoff win.

However, the Saints expecctations were no higher than the Jets, remember they had the #2 pick last year and a new QB who was also coming off of Shoulder surgery and a new coach. Plus the obvious storyline of the Saints winning right away

If the Jets and Saints win the division the Peyton wins Coach of the Year.
    It's been well established that Mangini has done a fantastic job this year, but Peyton deserves Coach of the Year in my opinion.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by savage69
    Actually they made the playoffs in 87-91-92-2000 and won the Division in 91!
    well i'm mistaken...still doesnt change the fact that as long as the Saints dont choke, Payton deserves the award, and will get it...

I would be ok with Mangini losing out to Payton, but no one else. Chad better be a lock for comeback player if we make the playoffs though.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    If the Saints and Jets end up with roughly the same record and both make or miss the playoffs, Payton gets it and I have no problem with that!

All Pro
    Gary Myers, who I had previously liked absolutely ripped the Jets a new one for hiring Mangini and went on and on about how the Jets don't know what they're doing and decisions like this relegate them as a 2nd class division.

I'm not homer so I wasn't mad that that someone was criticizing the move but his words were malicious. The article was completly irresponsible. I mean, not even giving Mangini a chance and with no substantiation, just attacks. I'll never respect Myers again.

Hall Of Fame
    You play to win the game

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    You play to win the game
    Now we do!