Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is the most absurd NFL suspension - Saints' Thomas (merged)

JetsInsider.com Legend

This is the most absurd NFL suspension

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2687451

How can they suspend this guy? The doctor is right there, saying it's in his prescribed asthma medication. The players union should fight this one to the death and Hollis should sue the league, this makes no sense.....none.

Thomas' asthma medicine causes drug policy violationBy John Clayton
    ESPN.com

The Saints suffered a big blow to their defense Tuesday when they found out defensive tackle Hollis Thomas, who is having a career year, is being suspended for four games because he violated the league's steroid policy due to asthma medication he takes.

Thomas has been challenging the positive steroid test and had the support of the Saints. Thomas is a 335-pound defensive tackle who has struggled to keep his weight down and doesn't have the body that normally would be linked to steroids.

During his appeal, John Amoss, who is the Saints' team trainer and an assistant professor at the LSU Health Science Center, sent a letter to the league in support of Thomas. Amoss said Thomas has severe asthma problems and requires a high dose of inhaled steroids to breathe. According to the doctor, Thomas needs a long acting beta agonist and a short acting beta agonist to control his asthma.

During his August drug test, the defensive tackle was taking an asthma product called Advair twice a day while also using an inhaler four times a day.

"Advair contains both the steroid fluticasone and the long acting beta agonist galmeterol," wrote Amoss, who thought the possibility of a false positive might have happened.

After taking the information under consideration, the league ruled Thomas was in violation of the policy and he will be lost to the team for the remainder of the regular season.

If New Orleans makes the playoffs, Thomas would be eligible to play. He can be added to the active roster on Jan. 1, 2007, the day after the regular season ends.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

All League
    lol ive taken advair....thats f'ed up

Hall Of Fame
    Where is the leagues common sense ?

This is crazy. So for the guy to breath he has to take this. Now that he will be in the accelerated test pool he will be bounced again until they take away the guys career. Very unfair and needs to be reviewed.

Hall Of Fame
    The NFL owns the NFLPA, the NFLPA are the NFL's personal *****es.

Veteran
    If it is a 4 game suspension that means he has priors.

I don't know the rules of the CBA for sure, but I believe once a player is in the abuse program he has to inform the league of EVERY medication he takes.

If you remember a similar thing happened to Ferguson when Parcells was here,

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by flgreen
    If it is a 4 game suspension that means he has priors.

I don't know the rules of the CBA for sure, but I believe once a player is in the abuse program he has to inform the league of EVERY medication he takes.

If you remember a similar thing happened to Ferguson when Parcells was here,
    Ahhh, and we have a loophole ladies and gentlemen. So in reality he's guilty of failing to report his prescribed medication. Which poses two questions:

1. Does he have priors?

2. Isn't a 4 game suspension a little extreme for failing to report the fact that you take a medication with a known steroid in it, especially if you have a doctor's note when all is said and done? The punishment just doesn't seem to fit the crime.
    Last edited by RutgersJetFan; 12-05-2006 at 05:10 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    Ahhh, and we have a loophole ladies and gentlemen. So in reality he's guilty of failing to report his prescribed medication. Which poses two questions:

1. Does he have priors?

2. Isn't a 4 game suspension a little extreme for failing to report the fact that you take a medication with a known steroid in it, especially if you have a doctor's note when all is said and done? The punishment just doesn't seem to fit the crime.
    I'm almost positive that for a 4 game suspension it has to be his 2nd bust

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by #2
    The NFL owns the NFLPA, the NFLPA are the NFL's personal *****es.

I figured out the identity of #2.....it's none other than Bryant Gumbel....

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by flgreen
    I'm almost positive that for a 4 game suspension it has to be his 2nd bust
    Nope.

You are thinking of drug suspentions, steroid suspentions are 4 games for first offense.

Veteran
    i take advair twice a day....its done wonders for my asthma thats absolutely ridiculius....i honestly might right a letter to the NFL not that they care but it pisses me off

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by #2
    Nope.

You are thinking of drug suspentions, steroid suspentions are 4 games for first offense.
    But there's the dilemma.....

Should this REALLY be a steroid suspension? All he's really guilty of is not following proper procedure.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by gijet
    i take advair twice a day....its done wonders for my asthma thats absolutely ridiculius....i honestly might right a letter to the NFL not that they care but it pisses me off
    Legal recourse, Legal ****ING recourse people!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

But there's the dilemma.....

Should this REALLY be a steroid suspension? All he's really guilty of is not following proper procedure.
    the league will say that its his responsibility to know what is in his medication.

Everybody uses the excuse that they didn't know that the banned substance was in the supplement/vitamin/medicine they were taking.

In this case it seems to be the truth, but its not a new issue.

Im guessing that according to the league, he would have had to tell them in advance and the proper clearance in order for it to be ok to use this medication.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    the league will say that its his responsibility to know what is in his medication.

Everybody uses the excuse that they didn't know that the banned substance was in the supplement/vitamin/medicine they were taking.

In this case it seems to be the truth, but its not a new issue.

Im guessing that according to the league, he would have had to tell them in advance and the proper clearance in order for it to be ok to use this medication.
    Absolutely, but is a 4 game suspension really a FAIR punishment for not following proper procedure?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Absolutely, but is a 4 game suspension really a FAIR punishment for not following proper procedure?
    No, he's guilty of ingesting steroids, not of "not following proper procedure". There is no telling whether he would have been allowed to take this medication.

Technically, there's no difference here between what Shawn Merriman did (Oops...i didn't know there were banned substances in my supplements) and what happened here.

Of course, we ALL know that to be untrue. Merriman's is a lame excuse, and this appears to be an honest medical issue.

But, in the eyes of the league, they're the same. I agree its unfair, and Thomas is getting screwed, but he did test positive for fluticasone, which presumably is a banned steroid.

Veteran
    This is insane. If he stopped taking this medicine so he would pass a drug test, and passed out or died during a game there would be the ****storm to end all.
    What the hell is the NFL trying to accomplish here? I understand they want to show everyone how tough they are on steroids so they don't start to get looked at like the MLB, but seriously, this is crazy.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    No, he's guilty of ingesting steroids, not of "not following proper procedure". There is no telling whether he would have been allowed to take this medication.

Technically, there's no difference here between what Shawn Merriman did (Oops...i didn't know there were banned substances in my supplements) and what happened here.

Of course, we ALL know that to be untrue. Merriman's is a lame excuse, and this appears to be an honest medical issue.

But, in the eyes of the league, they're the same. I agree its unfair, and Thomas is getting screwed, but he did test positive for fluticasone, which presumably is a banned steroid.
    I disagree, there is a difference. Merriman's positive test came from a supplement he was taking. The goal of what he was taking is enhance performance. Hense, why it contained a league banned substance. The stuff that Merriman took was designed to help him gain a physical strength advantage.
    What hollis took was so he can breathe.The "Supplement" he took is not intended to make him stronger, Its so he can live for god sakes! There are alot of different kind of steroids and most of them have different pourposes. Advair is to help his lungs, he could take hits of that all day long and its not going to help him grow an ounce of muscle.

All Pro
    This is fricken absurd. It is a prescribed medicine... what is the NFL becomming?

All League
    Hollis should try and fight this if its true but plenty of people claim they don't use ie Merriman, Peppers, Jim Miller and say they will fight it and then let the dust settle accept their punishment and lets the next person fight the good fight