View Poll Results: See the Opening Post for the Scenario. Would you like it, or no?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Clemens vs. Schaub for Starter in 2007 is GOOD!

22 41.51%
  • No, I dislike that scanario for (insert reason here)?

31 58.49%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Like This Offseason Scenario?

JetsInsider.com Legend

How Do You Like This Offseason Scenario?

--Trade Chad Pennington to Green Bay (or Cleveland, or the Redskins, or any other QB Strarved Botton Feeder Team). Aquire 4th and 5th Round Picks in 2007 Draft.

--Trade Our 3nd, and the newly aquired 4th and 5th Round Picks to Atlanta for Matt Schaub.

--Have Schaub and Clemens compete for #1 and #2 this offseason and in Camp.

Banned
    I dont like it at all.

Hall Of Fame
    I'd keep those picks, start Clemens and use those picks to build a great team around him, and sign a veteran backup QB (Brian Greise type) if Clemens doesn't pan out.

All Pro
    as you can read in my sig, i'm a huge fan of schaub, and if clemens and schaub battled for the starting position, i would completely ok with that. what you have listed there though seems like too much to give up for schaub.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish
    --Trade Chad Pennington to Green Bay (or Cleveland, or the Redskins, or any other QB Strarved Botton Feeder Team). Aquire 4th and 5th Round Picks in 2007 Draft.

--Trade Our 3nd, and the newly aquired 4th and 5th Round Picks to Atlanta for Matt Schaub.

--Have Schaub and Clemens compete for #1 and #2 this offseason and in Camp.

If Schaub is so good and better than Pennington why wouldn't any other QB Strarved Botton Feeder Team just trade for him instead?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadLover
    If Schaub is so good and better than Pennington why wouldn't any other QB Strarved Botton Feeder Team just trade for him instead?
    They would try, of course. But as any Penny fan will tell you, he's a warrior, and a great QB to boot, right? So we can get more in trade for HIM, turn that around, and use it to get Schaub and outbid any other competitors.

Hall Of Fame

I Dislike this Scenario For 1 Reason...

The jets are not in the position to trade any players or draft picks to get RFA Shaub. If they did do that, it would be a crushing blow if he did not win the starting job.

A one year salary cap hit should be the only down side in having the QB competition, not blown draft picks.

JetsFan2012
    I don't know much about Schaub... can you tell me why everyone is so hot on this guy?

GB will at most give us a 5th rounder, nothing more

better option would be to sign C simms (if price is right)

and have simms to compete with KC

trade CP to the highest bidder, maybe Den or Atl

He would be broncos or falcons insurance policy

Hall Of Fame
    Where is option C stating:

"This is not fantasy football."

Hall Of Fame
    atlanta demanded at least our #1 last off season.

why would they accept anything less now?

and with Vick stinking it up, why would they let Schaub go?

this plan is reactionary and far fetched, WF.

think about it. we'd all love Schaub and Clemens competing next year, but it's not realistic.

you could think of s/t better

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ICWT10

what's so fantasy about it? i think on paper it looks like how a regular nfl trade would end up.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader

think about it. we'd all love Schaub and Clemens competing next year, but it's not realistic.

there is reports to them wanting to deal him this upcoming offseason and their asking price is far less than what they were asking for last year.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Why?

Easy.. Restircted Free Agent. They trade him now, or they get nothing for him when he leaves in 2008. Nothing, no picks, no players, nada, zilch, zero.

So a 3rd, 4th and 5th seems more than fair. Wait and see if he goes, what he goes for. Maybe it'll be alot more, who knows.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ICWT10

Fantasy Football? Isn't that the silly game where people talk about Chad winning Super Bowls?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish
    Why?

Easy.. Restircted Free Agent. They trade him now, or they get nothing for him when he leaves in 2008. Nothing, no picks, no players, nada, zilch, zero.

So a 3rd, 4th and 5th seems more than fair. Wait and see if he goes, what he goes for. Maybe it'll be alot more, who knows.
    someone named lamont is ringing a bell...

All Pro
    IMHO, we either go with Chad or Kellen next year.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Because no one met their demands last season, and Schaub has done nothing to increase his value since. In fact, his value has actually dropped because he'll be one year close to being an UFA. Thus, Atlanta is going to be desperate to get something for him while they still can, rather than nothing at all.

It's simple, they can either tender him or do a sign and trade, and if they tender him they risk all teams in the league refusing to meet their demands if the asking price is too high. Schaub will go to the highest bidder, and there's no talk of any teams right now willing to offer a first rounder.

And if someone offered them 3 mid-round picks for Schaub, they'd jump all over that in a heartbeat. Any GM who wouldn't accept a 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounder for his BACKUP QB deserves to be shot in the head.

Personally, I'd have no problem with offering up one of our 2nd rounders, if the Washington pick is high enough I could totally see that happening.
    Last edited by RutgersJetFan; 12-11-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac
    what's so fantasy about it? i think on paper it looks like how a regular nfl trade would end up.
    Ok,

Reason #1
    If Chad's weaknesses have been "exposed" like everyone here states, and he can't win big games, why would any team trade for him? Especially coming off two shoulder surgeries? Especially with his well documented record against "top 10 defenses," etc.? There is no reason for any team to trade us anything for Chad Pennington. He is 30+ years old, very injury prone with two surgeries to his throwing shoulder, and we've probably seen his "ceiling" as an NFL QB.

Reason #2
    The teams you listed as potential trade partners have no need for him. Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers that they drafted in the 1st round that they need to get a look at. Washington has Jason Campbell, another first round pick performing admirably after only 3 NFL starts, Cleveland and the other bottom feeders as you call them will be in position to draft their own "QB of the Future" in this year's draft if they agree with you that they need to address the QB position. Acquiring a 30+ year old QB with a long list of injuries and physical limitations is not in their plans. ESPECIALLY if they are a bottom feeding team with lots of positions to address and they have to trade away mid-round draft picks!

Reason #3
    From the Jets perspective, trading him would accelerate his entire signing bonus against our 2007 salary cap thus destroying any cap room we have or at least a HUGE chunk of it.

Reason #4
    Did I mention that he is over 30 years old with a checkered past against top teams and has had major injury concerns?

Reason #5
    What would make you think a young team like us would want to trade away Chad thus destroying our cap room, and then also trade away three draft picks we can use to improve the team, improve our depth, and plenty of other things? You heard Tangini last year, draft picks are like GOLD to them and we just drafted a highly regarded QB last season 35th overall.

Are you really going to try and dispute any of these?
    Last edited by JMJ; 12-11-2006 at 02:31 PM.